By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - me and my xbox360

so, i got an xbox 360. i bought it from some guy who was going overseas so i got it cheap. it was a 20gig model and came with the stock controller, head set plus lots of games.

so when i first lifted the box, i was surprissed as it felt like it weighed a ton. so i lugged it home and excitedly opened it. i knew the x360 was big but man, i didnt think that it was as huge as a ps3! it was big and heavy plus it didnt look very elegant at all. the design was ok, but it was a far cry from my ps3 (which i sold). it felt like and looked like a standard pc. you know, has the horsepower but not the looks. not ugly but not pretty.

anyway, i continued to unpack the box and my god! that is the f'n largest power brick that i have ever seen. i've heard that it was huge but man! i didnt think that it was that huge! this is probably the mother of all power bricks. plus it was heavy as hell. having tested my newlly aquired wii first, it felt like a chore just setting up the xbox360 as compared to the wii's lite weight pereferials. 

everything about the x360was huge and heavy. the power cord was thick and heavy, the component cable has also thick and heavy. the controller, though not as huge as the original xbox controller seemed big to me too as i was use to the size of the ps3 controller plus coming from a history of sony consoles.

anyway, i finished setting up the 360 and turned it on. then i heard this very lound fan sound. many have said that the fans are lound but that is an understatement. it felt like an airplane was taking off or something. again, compared to the ps3 and the wii, its nice level was pathetic.

so, i started navigating the blades. its fairly easy to navigate but i found the xmb of the ps3 to be easier to navigate. like the wii's, i didnt spend much time fidling with it, i poped in gears of war. but first, why is it that the 360is the only one of the 3 consoles with a dvd tray? its ugly. its flimsy and i dont like it. so anyway, gears loaded and i must say, it does look good. but i imediatly poped it out and loaded gtaiv so i could compare it with the ps3 version as i had gtaiv for my ps3 before. so, it loaded and i skipped past everything and i must say, i didnt notice any difference between the two versions. the xbox360 version is as everybit as good looking as the ps3 version.

i didnt play much. just drove around a bit. then took out the game and let the x360 cool down for about 20min before turning it off.

so, in summary

1. very loud fans! very anoying

2. very heavy and a chore to setup

3. liked the xmb better

4. graphically equal to the ps3 i believe

5. other than the negatives, its very similar to the ps3.

6. wii + x360 > ps3 so i may be missing my ps3 but i'm not regretting it i now have double the fun plus jrpgs = happy

Around the Network

I can't argue with anything you said there. People who think the PS3 is graphically way ahead of the 360 are living in a dream world anyway.

360s use 1 of 3 different types of fans - Delta, Sunon and Nidec - which can affect the noise level. Based on my own experience, the Sunon fans are quieter than the Deltas, and apparently the Nidecs are quieter still. It's just luck of the draw.

The fall dashboard update will change the look of the dashboard completely, plus it will give the 360 an install to hard drive option so you can fully install any game to the HDD and play it from there which will help to cut down on noise. It's optional too so you can obviously still run games from disc if you like.

get a faceplace those will make it more adorable

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I think you should know what games to get since most are multiplats or pretty popular if exclusive. Make sure you buy tales of vesperia when it releases this month. I want it to sell well, (:

i did my reasearch :) i already have a list of games to buy. LO, TOV, ES, ME mostly rpgs :)

Around the Network

@ils411

Expect your VGC posting to go down dramatically as proven by the other VGC posters who made the PS3 to 360 switch :) Welcome to the club.

Those 4 games combined should be about 80-100 hours playtime. Trust me, the fan noise is a non-issue when you are totally engrossed in those RPGs.

@eagleseye
why is that? more gaming and less posting? LOL!

ils411 said:
@eagleseye
why is that? more gaming and less posting? LOL!

Yep!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

horriblebastard said:
I can't argue with anything you said there. People who think the PS3 is graphically way ahead of the 360 are living in a dream world anyway.

360s use 1 of 3 different types of fans - Delta, Sunon and Nidec - which can affect the noise level. Based on my own experience, the Sunon fans are quieter than the Deltas, and apparently the Nidecs are quieter still. It's just luck of the draw.

The fall dashboard update will change the look of the dashboard completely, plus it will give the 360 an install to hard drive option so you can fully install any game to the HDD and play it from there which will help to cut down on noise. It's optional too so you can obviously still run games from disc if you like.

numbers never lie due, the ps3 IS more powerful... but it takes more time to see that power.

Sucker