By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 is the greatest game this Gen no doubt!

steven787 said:
KZ2 said:
WessleWoggle said:

I disagree with you because it's a shooter and that means it sucks to me for the most part, to each their own.

I'd say the same about any shooter called the greatest game.

I like unique games.

Well I could say what you just said and apply it to any Mario or Zelda game. The world is full of different opinions. Each to their own.

I wouldn't call MGS, Zelda:TP, or SMG the best of the Gen...  Al three are only marginally different.

This generation is about User Generated Content, Online intergration, and Unique Controls. (According to execs from many companies)

Nothing has satisfied that yet.  As of right now?  maybe, to me: Boom Blox, Echochrome, UT3... but none of those are really perfect or Generation Defining... it's just too early.  We still have 38 good years.

It is pretty tough to announce any new chapter of a well developed and entrenched franchise as the "best" of generation. Priority one is just about always in the interest of providing fans of the previous games more of the same experience that keeps them coming back, with enough twists added to the formula to keep things fresh. Evolution rather than re-invention.

User generated content and online integration go hand in hand and seems to be the direction in which consumer interests have shifted through the natural course of game development, rather than because it was decreed by company executives. They see the shifts in the wind, and so such comments are probably simple acknowledgment of what consumers appear to be gravitating towards.

There's still quite a bit of room for growth in the control department, although the biggest success of the best example of this generation has largely been directed at making the games themselves more accessible to a broader range of consumers. It's still too early to see how this will pan out over the long run, although it still looks pretty promising.

I really can't say I see any single example of a generation defining game yet that pushes the industry forward on all fronts. LBP is about the only IP that comes to mind, but that's only based upon the concept. If the final product doesn't deliver and/or it fails to find resonance with the paying consumers, it doesn't matter if it turns out to be the best concept that no one bought.

Mostly, the 7th Gen been more of the same with improvement and refinements; the natural course of evolution. Other than Wii Sports. As much as I don't see it as the greatest innovation in gaming ever, or even anything I can take in anything other than small doses, it has made a permanent change in common perception in regards to video games.

Around the Network

Considering Super Mario Galaxy has the highest accumulated reviews of any game this generation I think it takes the cake. Though now that game review statistics aren't in your favor I'm sure you'll insist the system is broken (which it fundamentally is regardless) or inadequate or something asinine about one genre not counting against another.

@Greenmedic: I'm thinking LBP or GH:WT both look likely to get the UGC down.
Wii Sports will be remembered by gamers and developers alike as the game that changed the industry. For better or worse, it did.

"Best" is hard to gauge and is completely subjective.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I dont think its Fanboys that enjoyed this game

Im not really a fan of MGS type games (ie: Splinter Cell), and ive never played any MGS game... but this game, just blew me away the entire time, afterwards Ive had 2 friends play it (One played all MGS's), and they both agreed its the best game theyve played in a long time, if ever.

Its just a very well structured game, I'm not even sure how to explain it, the ending was the best ending ive seen in a game in a long long time.

and no, im not new to gaming, been gaming since Nibbles, Burger Time, Scorched Earth, Dig Dug, Sierra Games, etc :D

greenmedic88 said:
Based on Metacritic scores. Spoken with a straight face. Not surprising, considering Metacritic seems to be the cornerstone of your argument for the best gaming platform.

What's the number one game as indexed by Metacritic for both the PS3 and the 360?
That's right, GTAIV

It's official: GTAIV, best game of the 7th Gen ::cough:: Curiously absent from anyone's vote.

You may as well make the decision based upon which game of the current generation is the top selling; it has the same amount of validity.

In which case, Wii Sports: best game of the 7th Gen.

I don't think I said anything about what may or may not be the best game of the generation.  I simply pointed out that the OP and title are blatantly incorrect in their assertion that there is "no doubt" MGS4 is the "greatest game this gen."

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

braveheart already stated in his post that he love mgs4 because of the intense boss battle but some of these ppl still insist that he enjoyed watching cutscenes more than gameplay. wat a bunch of ignorant 360 fan boys

Bought it, played it and meh. Some good points, some bad but not the greatest game of this generation. Not a patch on the best of other generations either. Some of the writing would make the best of men want to put their boot through the tv screen.

i give it a  8.5/10

I own bioshock I own oblivion I own Twilight Princess I own MGS4 .

All of those games are great MGS4 is the best.

MGS4 is definitelly GOTG (Game Of The Generation) IMO.

As a side note, I really pitty those of you that are unable to actually form a personal opinion and have to rely on those of others (gamecritic or metacritics, gamerankings or whatever other internet sites).

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"