By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Controllers

I dislike the wii remote for FPS. It is hard to hold it and keep it still all the time. It always feels like you are holding a knife over a sink. Gamepads are alot of fun, I always feel like i'm cheating when I use a mouse because its so easy

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Bodhesatva said:
twesterm said:
About the only thing a mouse and keyboard have on the Wii Remote and nunchuck combo is that the mouse and keyboard has access to more buttons.

With the Wii, you have the B, A, c, and Z buttons that you have easy access to. With the mouse and keyboard, you have 3 mouse buttons, possible buttons along the sizde of the mouse, and a large amount of keys near your movement keys of choice.

So far, I'd say a mouse/keyboard are slightly more accurate, as well, but this may evolve over time (the biggest problem is the sensitivity. Ask any CS professional if they have the sensitivity of the mouse up high or low. I'd wager that 9 out of 10 will have a sensitivity setting of 3 or below). My main complaint is the lack of buttons, yes, which I fully agree is not a problem specific to the Wiimote -- it's true for all console controllers.

For a CS professional the difference might matter, but how many of us are really that serious? I admit, I'm nowhere near a professional at CS, on some maps I can hold my own on internet games and can do decent with friends, but I'm also not what most people would call good (far from it). Still though, I'm about as accurate with my remote as with my mouse.

You're right, I don't expect it to matter for most people. I originally joined this thread because "PS3Owner" said that he feels any controller without two analog sticks is technically inferior for controlling three dimensional games: my proceeding comments were to emphasize that if all we care about is technical proficiency -- and things like comfort and learning curve are to be thrown to the wind -- then obviously dual analog sticks are inferior, too. 

I absolutely agree that the difference is minimal for most casual (read: non professional) players.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I'd add: I view PS3owner's comments as another side-jab from the Sony crowd, and implication that their gaming system is the ultimate hardcore machine, and that real gamers will choose it. Which I'd say is patently false, as high end PC Systems cost more, have superior graphical capabilities, more precise and sophisticated control mechanisms, more versatility (almost all PC games allow you to customize graphical settings -- which most professional gamers almost immediately set to low for performance -- as well as the essential ability to rebind and reorganizing default controls), and most importantly, more skill oriented game play.

I'm not suggesting, in the slightest, that consoles are bad. I've owned a bunch, and currently own a Wii. You can enjoy games because they're simply fun, or because you enjoy playing with friends, or because you like the games specific to your chosen console. But if your reason for owning a PS3 is because you're a super elite, hardcore gamer, then you've backed the wrong horse.

Why aren't these people playing PC games instead? The answer is pretty obvious: PCs cost significantly more and have a smaller library of games. Which is precisely the same complaint that Wii owners can levy at the PS3.

/rant off 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Andrew said:
I dislike the wii remote for FPS. It is hard to hold it and keep it still all the time. It always feels like you are holding a knife over a sink. Gamepads are alot of fun, I always feel like i'm cheating when I use a mouse because its so easy

That's why PC games are made with a steeper difficulty curve, and almost always focus on multi player. Professional gaming is dominated by Counter Strike, Starcraft, and Unreal Tournament -- all PC games. If PC games were actually "too easy," then gamers that are obsessed with skill wouldn't be playing them. 

Saying that you prefer game pads because they are harder to use is like saying you prefer playing tether ball with one hand tied behind your back. Why not just untie your hand, and play something more challenging? If you don't care about super-challenging games (which is totally fine), why not have the challenge come from the game, and not from the awkwardness of the controller design? 

There is exactly one benefit I see to game pads over Keyboards/Mice: simplicity. Ease of use. It's a very good benefit, and I think it's important that highly complicated controllers (such as Keyboard/Mice) never completely dominate the gaming landscape. But that's not the benefit you're naming -- and more importantly, that upside to game pads has been superceded by the Wii remote. I really don't see much value to the contraption anymore.  

I have an idea! Why don't we play Resistance: Fall of Man with nothing but an A/B button and a Directional Pad, just like the old NES controllers. Then the game will be really hard. We can add (more) auto aim, so the game isn't TOO much harder, but still a bit harder, because the controls are so limiting. 

Doesn't that sound GREAT?

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

I've said this before, but I don't know how anyone can play First Person Shooters with a Game Pad.

I used to play them -- my first FPS love was Goldeneye, hands down. But then I got in to Half Life, got accustomed to a Mouse/Keyboard, and I've never looked back. This one isn't just a preference, I might add: the few games that have allowed cross-platform play (such as Unreal Tournament) have seen console owners so totally dominated that petitions were made to separate PC users from Console users. Valve and EA have both explicitly stated that CoD and Team Fortress 2 are not offered as cross-platform titles for this exact reason.

I really, really hope that somebody comes up with a controller that is as precise and flexible as the keyboard and mouse for console use. It not only has more accurate turning and pointing (mouse) but dozens if not hundreds more buttons (keyboard).  The Wii mote may be better than a traditional game pad, but I highly doubt it will actually be superior to the PC setup. 

With them not going cross platform, I think that at least on the PS3, people with a keyboard/mouse setup, will obliterate players using the SixAxis. I don't think the wiimote is overall gonna be better than a kb/mouse setup, but it may be more fun. Though personally I prefer the feeling of using the controller better than a kb/mouse, but that won't stop me from using my bluetooth kb/mouse to blow the hell out of people on UT when it comes out, I prefer winning more than comfort ;)

Bodhetsvsa, please do remember that some of us do not prefer waggling stuff for every application, sometimes I like to walk around my house while I play Oblivion(you couldn't do this easily with a wiimote) I can sit in the living room watch TV, drink a beer, all while playing it in my bedroom, good stuff man.

I dislike the Gamecube controller. The layout of the buttons is terrible, as is the general shape of it. I especially hate the way the A B X Y buttons are set up 1 by 3 instead 2 by 2. The only thing I like about it is the colour, I like purple. 

I really like the Playstation controllers and my favourite so far is the SIXAXIS. It feels so lightweight and wireless is good. I play a lot of fighting/action games and even my anti-sony friends admit that the PS controllers are best for fighters. 

My favorite used to be DualShock until the 360 controller came out. It's one of the few controllers that I have a hard time finding a single flaw with it. Triggers, analogs, buttons, comfort level, all pretty much perfect in my eyes.

The Wii controller is actually pretty lousy IMO. The "waggle" is cool but the actual design is pretty rubbish. Since there are so few buttons, many games end up relying on the D-pad and the +/- buttons for general play. The big problem is that you have to somehow hold the controller still (and pointed at the TV) while shifting your hand to switch back and forth to reach both sets of these buttons. Total crap and a weak design. The nunchuck is nice, though. No problems there.

Worst controller ever is the DC controller. I couldn't play it for more than an hour before my hands started cramping like crazy. The wrist angles on that controller were CRAP. Honorable mention to the dinner-plate Saturn controller. That was pretty craptastic, too. Why couldn't Sega get a controller right after the Genesis?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Bodhesatva said:

Why aren't these people playing PC games instead? The answer is pretty obvious: PCs cost significantly more and have a smaller library of games. Which is precisely the same complaint that Wii owners can levy at the PS3.

/rant off

The answer is consoles have more good games I wanna play than PCs. Also all the time, the best formerly PC-only games are going the console way so it seems even more logical.

I got a great PC that can run anything that doesn't require vista and I still barely play on it. I actually think all the time about how much money I waisted on it to play on it rarely. Console games are more appealing and varied it seems.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:

/rant off

The answer is consoles have more good games I wanna play than PCs. Also all the time, the best formerly PC-only games are going the console way so it seems even more logical.

I got a great PC that can run anything that doesn't require vista and I still barely play on it. I actually think all the time about how much money I waisted on it to play on it rarely. Console games are more appealing and varied it seems.

Is this somehow different than what I said? It seems like we're agreeing, but you phrase this as if you disagree in some regard.

Absolutely, the PS3 has more games than the PC, just as the Wii has more games than the PS3. We... agree?