By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 25 Highest Debuts of 2007

Updated with Japan.

As we can see, there's a huge difference between the US and Japan with major sellers, not only with the kinds of games, but the types of systems.

In the both countries, the top games were on handhelds. Even taking Pokemon's first full week, and using first day, it'd still be #1.

Aside from this, we can see the huge power of the NDS and PS2, not next-gen systems move major titles. Next-gen consoles in Japan accounted for a measly 2 top-25 titles. Outside of this, portables were more than half of the list. The ironic thing is that the PS2 is going insanely strong, and will probably do such, as it still accounts for more than 1/3rd of top releases. This is in contrast to next-gen systems. Even the Wii (where its obviously selling like crack-covered candy), has only had 1 major game chart in the top 25 (although that'll obviously change with DQS).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

So i'm assuming both versions of GTA are being added up?

Which 2 versions are you talking about?

Is Super Paper Mario the only game on both lists?

Holy cow.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Mario Strikers Charged could be the next one.

Around the Network

EDIT* nevermind, I'm an idiot ^_^

Like the list, nice work. But, why the hell did mario party 8 sells so much and super paper mario so much less. mp8 is no where as good as spm. Crazy kids and their bad tastes in games.

Despite everyone saying the Wii would still have hardcore games, it's not really catering to the hardcore-oriented buyers as of yet.

When it launched, Zelda:TP sales in the US were insane, which led to the belief that it was mainly old GC guys buying the Wii. However, it seems that the vast, vast majority are hardcore-casuals (ie, are real casuals and buy like it).

This is why WarioSM and MP8 sell over games like Tiger Woods, Godfather, and SPM. This shows that the people that buy these Wiis aren't your typical GC fare-ers, or PS2 guys. They're a different breed, and thats what Nintendo wanted (and is getting).

However, it's still good that SPM hit both charts well. 150k for either nation is good. To be fair though, 1/2 the games that charted in Japan haven't hit the US. But most likely, they won't fare very well on the top 25.

superchunk said:
Like the list, nice work. But, why the hell did mario party 8 sells so much and super paper mario so much less. mp8 is no where as good as spm. Crazy kids and their bad tastes in games.

Wait a second. Why don't you ask this same question by replacing Wii Sports (or Play) for MP and Zelda for SPM?

And then you are at the crux of the problem. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

mrstickball said:
Despite everyone saying the Wii would still have hardcore games, it's not really catering to the hardcore-oriented buyers as of yet.

When it launched, Zelda:TP sales in the US were insane, which led to the belief that it was mainly old GC guys buying the Wii. However, it seems that the vast, vast majority are hardcore-casuals (ie, are real casuals and buy like it).

This is why WarioSM and MP8 sell over games like Tiger Woods, Godfather, and SPM. This shows that the people that buy these Wiis aren't your typical GC fare-ers, or PS2 guys. They're a different breed, and thats what Nintendo wanted (and is getting).

However, it's still good that SPM hit both charts well. 150k for either nation is good. To be fair though, 1/2 the games that charted in Japan haven't hit the US. But most likely, they won't fare very well on the top 25.

Whoa whoa -- what you're implying is that hardcore gamers aren't buying the system yet, not that the system isn't catering to them.

Extreme example: if a system had 10 Wii Sports-esque games and 100 Oblivion/Half Life style games, but the 10 Wii Sports-ish titles were all the top selling games on the system, would that mean that this system isn't catering to the hardcore? Obviously not.

Similarly, whether hardcore gamers are buying Wii games or not, those gamers ARE being catered to (and I'd argue that hardcore gamers are buying games, as the success of Super Paper Mario, Zelda, and now Resident Evil 4 attest to).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">