By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - XBox Price Cuts – The financial effect on the division – A FINANCIAL ANALYSIS

I know you would have to change your past analysis if you changed the software numbers but I don't see a way around .

My estimations for software number would be something like :

80% third parties at 12$ revenue, 10$ margin.

20% first party at 35$ revenue, 30$ margin ( console makers do make a killing on first party, they earn what a third party would earn + the licencing fee, MSFT made a fortune on Halo 3 last year, it will be tough to beat that this year)

This averages at 16.5$ revenue, 14$ margin for software.

PS : I think the real explaination for Q4 2008 loosing money is that it was the first quarter with Euro price cuts reduction and MSFT sold a lot more consoles in Euros than elsewhere that quarter and that price cut was huge ( 150$ time 1 million console sold in Others that quarter = 150 million$).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

@ Ail or anyone,

can you guys check to see the breakdown (in general) of 1st and 3rd party software for XBox - as per VGchartz data?

that should be a good indication.

I can tweak the analysis and split up the software numbers - and see what numbers come up.

Thanks.

Ail said:
I know you would have to change your past analysis if you changed the software numbers but I don't see a way around .

My estimations for software number would be something like :

80% third parties at 12$ revenue, 10$ margin.

20% first party at 35$ revenue, 30$ margin ( console makers do make a killing on first party, they earn what a third party would earn + the licencing fee, MSFT made a fortune on Halo 3 last year, it will be tough to beat that this year)

This averages at 16.5$ revenue, 14$ margin for software.

PS : I think the real explaination for Q4 2008 loosing money is that it was the first quarter with Euro price cuts reduction and MSFT sold a lot more consoles in Euros than elsewhere that quarter and that price cut was huge ( 150$ time 1 million console sold in Others that quarter = 150 million$).

Well, that would differ from the stated numbers in the Quarterly report, which showed increases of $204 million in R&D and Marketing.  While Marketing will probably not go down, as we head into the holiday season, you've gotta figure that R&D is not going to keep going up 38%, and this was the major driver.  With what growth they are forecasting for Q1 and beyond, it's looking like M$ has some rosy expectations for gaming.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Ail said:
jkimball said:
bumidan said:
Squilliam said:
http://www.isuppli.com/rptviewer/default.asp?a=37390&cmd=inline heres some basic information. $550 is your baseline you can assume from. Thats how much it initially cost.

thanks squilliam.

though if that is how much it initially cost, that was back in FY Jun 06.

we just finished FY Jun 08 - and by all indications, they should be making a positive gross margin on the consoles, in my opinion.

But they state in the reports (gotta read the text, not just the numbers!) that they has lower than expected profits becasue they sold _more_ than expected XBoxes last year.  They admit they lost money on each xbox unit sold. So they are still negative on the units. They might be positive overall for the xbox ecosystem (ie Live games, etc) bit unti by unti they still lose money.

From 10-k "Cost of revenue decreased $683 million or 13%, reflecting the impact of the $1.1 billion Xbox 360 charge in fiscal year 2007 (which primarily related to the warranty expansion), partially offset by increased Xbox 360 product costs related to increased unit console sales."

Cost of revenue would have went down even more if it wasn't for selling all those Xboxes!

Margins on software are huge, MSFT overall margins are in the 70% range. I would crank up the margins on the software, you have it ~ 50% and set each Xbox unit as break even only - ie $0 margin on the actual xbox.

Margins on the software are nowhere near where you put it because most of those 90 millions software sales will be third party software, Microsoft only take a licencing fee on those.......

Your numbers would imply third party publishers and developers get close to no cash on games sold on the 360.

That is your big mistake, the software sold for 360 is in its huge majority not software developed by Microsoft so you can't compare it to Windows........

I can try to explain it in a simpler way :

Take a game sold 60$

3 main actors get their share of those 60$ :

- retailer

- Publisher ( who then shares with the developer).

- Microsoft through a licencing fee.

the biggest share is the one the publisher gets. Common accepted numbers for the licencing fee are in the 10-15$ range..........

Microsoft just doesn't make anywhere near 30$ per copy of GTA4 or Madden sold.......

Any analysis you did based on your software will as a result be heavilly flawed..

Now divide by two the software revenue and you pretty much have to redo all the analysis.......

UHM, that is nice, but completely irrelevant to MICROSOFTS SOFTWARE sales. MSFT is not selling GTA or MAdden. Some other r company is. These are MSFT financial we are talking about, not rockstars. If MSFT gets a licensing fee from Rockstar, that would be listed under 'licensing revenue' or some other category not a 'software sale'. When they sell Halo, Age of Empires, Flight Simulator (all very popular software packages!) they are making ~ 75% gross margin on that sale....

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

jkimball said:
Ail said:
jkimball said:
bumidan said:
Squilliam said:
http://www.isuppli.com/rptviewer/default.asp?a=37390&cmd=inline heres some basic information. $550 is your baseline you can assume from. Thats how much it initially cost.

thanks squilliam.

we just finished FY Jun 08 - and by all indications, they should be making a positive gross margin on the consoles, in my opinion.

But they state in the reports (gotta read the text, not just the numbers!) that they has lower than expected profits becasue they sold _more_ than expected XBoxes last year.  They admit they lost money on each xbox unit sold. So they are still negative on the units. They might be positive overall for the xbox ecosystem (ie Live games, etc) bit unti by unti they still lose money.

From 10-k "Cost of revenue decreased $683 million or 13%, reflecting the impact of the $1.1 billion Xbox 360 charge in fiscal year 2007 (which primarily related to the warranty expansion), partially offset by increased Xbox 360 product costs related to increased unit console sales."

Cost of revenue would have went down even more if it wasn't for selling all those Xboxes!

Margins on software are huge, MSFT overall margins are in the 70% range. I would crank up the margins on the software, you have it ~ 50% and set each Xbox unit as break even only - ie $0 margin on the actual xbox.

Margins on the software are nowhere near where you put it because most of those 90 millions software sales will be third party software, Microsoft only take a licencing fee on those.......

Your numbers would imply third party publishers and developers get close to no cash on games sold on the 360.

That is your big mistake, the software sold for 360 is in its huge majority not software developed by Microsoft so you can't compare it to Windows........

Take a game sold 60$

- retailer

the biggest share is the one the publisher gets. Common accepted numbers for the licencing fee are in the 10-15$ range..........

Microsoft just doesn't make anywhere near 30$ per copy of GTA4 or Madden sold.......

Any analysis you did based on your software will as a result be heavilly flawed..

Now divide by two the software revenue and you pretty much have to redo all the analysis.......

UHM, that is nice, but completely irrelevant to MICROSOFTS SOFTWARE sales. MSFT is not selling GTA or MAdden. Some other r company is. These are MSFT financial we are talking about, not rockstars. If MSFT gets a licensing fee from Rockstar, that would be listed under 'licensing revenue' or some other category not a 'software sale'. When they sell Halo, Age of Empires, Flight Simulator (all very popular software packages!) they are making ~ 75% gross margin on that sale....

The 90 million software sales listed in the analysis above isn't microsoft sales for the year it's total software sales for the Xbox360.

Please go read the analysis...

So what I said IS relevant....

Microsoft by itself sells nowhere near 90 million units of gaming software/year......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
jkimball said:
Ail said:
jkimball said:
bumidan said:
Squilliam said:

thanks squilliam.

Take a game sold 60$

- retailer

The 90 million software sales listed in the analysis above isn't microsoft sales for the year it's total software sales for the Xbox360.

Please go read the analysis...

So what I said IS relevant....

Microsoft by itself sells nowhere near 90 million units of gaming software/year......

I am sorry, I missed that. There is no way to combine them into one 90M lump. You have to account for the far more preofitable 1st party sales separtely.  However, you assertion that the 1st party is a tiny minority is not quite true.  MSFT is the publisher for 26M of the 94M games (of games that sold over a million).  That is over 27%.  So they get licensing fees for all all games, and publishing fees for, say, 25% of games. 

I still think the alternative analysis is better - $0 margin on HW but improving this year. People seem to think that HW prices fall in drastic amounts, but these consoles are fairly propietary and don't see the same scale reduction as consumer electronics.  Remember MSFT does not have to make a smart business decision around price cuts - they have the cash to lose money forever on this division. I wonder if they even bothered to do the financial impact assesement!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

I hope in the next quarter, MSFT mentions other segment revenues or expeneses, to slowly fill up this jigsaw puzzle we call MSFT EDD financials.

Is there any data as to how much PC games, Consumer Hardware & Software revenues are?

PC games are lumped in with XBox stuff. I dont know where they put consumer hardware and software - I am thinking these include MSFT branded mice, keyboard, etc.
While software includes RETAIL VERSIONS of Word, Office, etc.

I am starting to think that if all those businesses are in the EDD (from my understanding), it may be more than $50 or $60 million.

But without any hard data, it's tough to figure out.

bumidan said:
I hope in the next quarter, MSFT mentions other segment revenues or expeneses, to slowly fill up this jigsaw puzzle we call MSFT EDD financials.

Is there any data as to how much PC games, Consumer Hardware & Software revenues are?

PC games are lumped in with XBox stuff. I dont know where they put consumer hardware and software - I am thinking these include MSFT branded mice, keyboard, etc.
While software includes RETAIL VERSIONS of Word, Office, etc.

I am starting to think that if all those businesses are in the EDD (from my understanding), it may be more than $50 or $60 million.

But without any hard data, it's tough to figure out.

I'm not clear about where you think MS Office is record? 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

@ heruamon

Entertainment and Devices Division (“EDD”) offerings include the Xbox 360 platform (which includes the Microsoft Xbox video game console system, Xbox 360 video games, Xbox Live, and Xbox 360 accessories), the Zune digital music and entertainment platform, PC software games, online games and services, Mediaroom (our Internet protocol television software), the Surface computing platform, mobile and embedded device platforms, and other devices. EDD leads the development efforts for our line of consumer software and hardware products including application software for Macintosh computers and Microsoft PC hardware products, and is responsible for all retail sales and marketing for Microsoft Office and the Windows operating systems. In April 2008, we acquired Danger, Inc. (“Danger”), a software-as-a-service company that provides mobile operators with an integrated end-to-end solution to deliver mobile data and Internet services to their subscribers.

So it includes mice, keyboards, etc., as well as retail sales of Office and Windows. I guess the ones that are not OEM versions.

So I'm not sure how much revenue they get from those.

However, maybe I lumped them all together with the Zune and Mobile segments.

So maybe all is good still.

bumidan said:
@ heruamon

Entertainment and Devices Division (“EDD”) offerings include the Xbox 360 platform (which includes the Microsoft Xbox video game console system, Xbox 360 video games, Xbox Live, and Xbox 360 accessories), the Zune digital music and entertainment platform, PC software games, online games and services, Mediaroom (our Internet protocol television software), the Surface computing platform, mobile and embedded device platforms, and other devices. EDD leads the development efforts for our line of consumer software and hardware products including application software for Macintosh computers and Microsoft PC hardware products, and is responsible for all retail sales and marketing for Microsoft Office and the Windows operating systems. In April 2008, we acquired Danger, Inc. (“Danger”), a software-as-a-service company that provides mobile operators with an integrated end-to-end solution to deliver mobile data and Internet services to their subscribers.

So it includes mice, keyboards, etc., as well as retail sales of Office and Windows. I guess the ones that are not OEM versions.

So I'm not sure how much revenue they get from those.

However, maybe I lumped them all together with the Zune and Mobile segments.

So maybe all is good still.

Aaaaah....Got it.  EDD included far too much imho, and M$ will have to splinter it, going forward.  I can udnerstand puttign the consoles, media players and other things entertianment, but it makesit difficult to make meaningful appraisals based on what we know.