By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is it taking so much longer to make Final Fantasy games?

if you played Final Fantasy during the PS1 time, they had a new one almost every year. FFVII-1997. FFVIII-1999. FFIX-2000. FFX-2001. FFXI-2002. but now Final Fantasy XII took 4 years and now it seems FXIII will take 5 years. What is with Square Enix...=(

Around the Network

The technology is more advance and takes a lot more time to get a hang of than it used to. Also, RPGs generally have the longest development time of any game

They have run out of ideas...jk I agree with Raichu...

Welcome to next gen.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

For FFXIII, didn't the development originally start in 2003?

I guess it is cause they can't prioritize or maybe to much trial and error?
Having to acclimate to advancing technology doesn't help either.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network

well FF12 came out 2 years ago. It hasn't been too long.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

flames_of said:
For FFXIII, didn't the development originally start in 2003?

I guess it is cause they can't prioritize or maybe to much trial and error?
Having to acclimate to advancing technology doesn't help either.

FFXII took many years in development because there had to be many changes in development(including changing the main character from Basch to Vaan).  Also, Matsuno fell ill in 2005 and had to step down.  Unfotunately, this caused a few problems for development of the game.  For one, there are rumors that FFXII had some last minute changes just like MGS2 had last minute changes.  Also, because Matsuno couldn't be around for the rest of development, the scriptwriter had serious trouble trying to flesh out Matsuno's original story which is why FFXII's story, while not bad, was still unsatisfying compared to previous FF game.

I don't think we will see the same problems with FFXIII though.

RockSmith372 said:

if you played Final Fantasy during the PS1 time, they had a new one almost every year. FFVII-1997. FFVIII-1999. FFIX-2000. FFX-2001. FFXI-2002. but now Final Fantasy XII took 4 years and now it seems FXIII will take 5 years. What is with Square Enix...=(

HD generation man....HD generation.

I meant FF 13...
Wasn't that in development since 2003, but had to be restarted?

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

flames_of said:
I meant FF 13...
Wasn't that in development since 2003, but had to be restarted?

Though it was in development since 2004 or 2005