By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats your favorite game everyone seems to hate?

Lost Odyssey(critics didn't hate it but they were still a little to hard on it)

Around the Network

Bible Adventures on NES.

Dynasty Warriors

Girl Gamer Elite said:

FFXII is a divide between what? The People who realized it was dull and tedious and the People who pretend to like it because they want to believe FFXIII will still be a good game?

Pretentious, arrogant, insulting, ignorant....yep, you pretty much covered em all with that post.

Would it be equally arrogant of me to say, "The divide is between the people who realized it was deep and rewarding, and the people who say it sucks, because they barely played it."

If I recall, you were permabanned when I was just a VGChartz n00bie, or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I recall I didn't like you then, and this reinforces my dislike of you now.

You act like your opinion, which sometimes runs parallel to popular belief and which sometimes runs opposed, is always the unequovically right path, because apparently no one could have a valid opinion different than yours, and if they did, they must be fooling themselves with fanboyism.

Let me clue you in on my thoughts. I'm almost entirely sure that my opinions are 100 percent correct. As I can recall, I've never been proven wrong on the internet, and I've never given an opinion that I didn't base on what I worked out in my head as the proven truisms of any subject. However, I always present my opinions as just that. Opinions. No matter how obviously right I think they are, and must be.

When you pretend like you're smarter than everybody else, nobody likes you. When you pretend like you're smarter than everyone else, and then laugh at them for being dumb and acting like you know more about their opinion and its motivations, than they do, then you're going to accure pure hatred from this community. Arrogance and trolling are two different things. I don't mind a troll nearly as much.

You need to start stating your opinions in a way that they don't insult people, back them up with a little evidence or reasoning, or at least label them as opinions.

IMO, FFXII has the worst story out of the series. However, it has the best gameplay. Unfortunately, like FFVIII, the complexities of the gameplay aren't readily apparent. At first, in fact, it seems like you're just roaming around letting your characters auto attack. If you don't take the time to learn or discover these intracasies, you'll find yourself 40 hours in the game, when you don't really know how to play yet.

This complexity and anti-user-friendliness scares and intimidates the average gamer. There is a huge fanbase for FF games, and therefore, the average consumer who falls within that fanbase is gonna really get confused about the gameplay. Combine that with a story that lacks character development till the end, and you end up with dissapointment for a lot of people.

However, for the few people who are willing to spend time understanding and completing most of the game(you can include most reviewers in this category), they'll find one of the most rewarding and fun experiences since SotN. I managed to complete the game in about 108 hours, without finishing my hunts, or a significant portion of the game. I found it to be a very rewarding experience. That said I hated FFIII for DS, and FFIX is certainly not a favorite JRPG of mine. FFX-2 and Reverant Wings I dislike very much. These are my opinions. I, a very accomplished and intelligent gamer, didn't find XII to be great because it's simply a FF game. I find it great because it is deep and compellling, which isn't apparent with a mere 40 hour wondering through a game that doesnt' take you by the hand and tell you what to do. The average gamer simply gives up.

When I first played FFXII, I did what most gamers do. I played about 30 hours in, and quit. I said, "This game sucks."

However, like with FFVIII, one day I went back and replayed the game, and realized how great it was imo, and how many things I missed, and what I was doing wrong. It is now one of my favorite games.

Now one may ponder, "If a game doesn't draw you in right away, doesn't that make it bad." I'd say the answer to that is absolutely not. In fact, I find that most of my favorite games have deep combat that takes practice and knowledge to achieve(Street Fighter 3, Brawl, Tekken). Most people who hate FFXII, never did understand how the battle system works, or was meant to be used. Same for VIII. If you were to tell a FFVIII hater to describe the battle system in that game, it would include some big rant about the draw system. However, if you ask a VIII fan to describe it to you, they might say this: "You use the aura spell, or keep your hp low, so you can use a limit break every turn. Zell and Squall have the most damaging limit breaks. Lionheart is random, but when it hits...good night."

Assuming that I'm just lying(or pretending, as you put it) when I say FFXII is one of my favorite games....that just makes me mad.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

dschumm said:
Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball
Dark Cloud
Monster Rancher
NBA Jam
Any Bond game except Goldeneye

Ah Monster Rancher.  Great franchise.  They really need to make a PS3 game.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Riachu said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
windbane said:
Xen said:
Dgc1808 said:
MGS4.....
Final Fantasy [Series]....

Everyone hates these? wow.

He cheated. Those games are beloved.

They're both.

MGS2 is a strong divide between the Gamers who loathe it and the Pseudo-Intellectuals who love it. MGS3 is for some reason disliked as a whole by the gaming community with exception of the few gamers capable of recognizing true genius. And MGS4 is best described as a sucker punch from a handsome man.

Final Fantasy X is like MGS2 an equally polarizing element in the gaming world. FFX-2 and FF7 Dirge of Cerberus were the beginning of the "Oh Shi-!" moment that would bring many to realize it was over for Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XI is perhpas the sorest point of contention of all Final Fantasy games, I'm told its a great game if you're willing to play a gimped, awkward and relatively inaccessable MMORPG. Final Fantasy XII is not even spoken of, enough said.

Both franchises are as infamous as they are famous and by all accounts are on an overall downward trend of quality and sales.

MGS3 and MGS4 recieved more love than hate.  Also,  FFX gets more love than hate.  It's FFXII that has a divide in the gaming community

People tell themselves alot of things about the games they want to like.

MGS4 recieves more love than hate because by and large ony people who were going to love it no matter how it turned out actually invested the money to buy it. MGS3 seems like a game no one wanted to like, I guess it wasn't wacky enough like MGS2 to pass for a good MGS game.

FFX is still a divide and seen by many as the beginning of the downward trend in the series or at the very least the harbinger of things to come. FFXII is no divide, everyone agrees unanymously that it is a bland bland game with a lazy MMO engine. FFXII is best described as Star Wars Episode 1 with no pod-race.

Slice it however you like, each series earns its respective amount of hate and are loved only as much as people are excited about the next game comming out.

I would be really interested in meeting this Every One person.  He seems to have so much to say and says it so loudly that a lot of people like to reference him, yet he says so much that is just wrong and a lot of the time stupid.

And a game that I like is FFX-2, I just keep playing it and have put more time into it that I have most games.

Final Fantasy IX. Everyone I talked to always thought VIII was much better and that it was weird that the main character had a tail. I wish we would see more main characters like Zidane.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

JaggedSac said:
Dynasty Warriors

Seconded.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

RCTjunkie said:
Bomberman Hero. Got a 5.9 ranking, but is one of the best games on the N64

well, it had to come from someone that loves RCT! Bomberman Hero was great indeed, but it's not really my "favorite" game :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Gran Turismo...