By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will SE support the Wii?

@Trestres Square Enix is a developer that can't afford to ignore the wii. That is why FFXIII is the first multiplatform FF. They know the PS3 alone couldn't support enough sales with the huge development costs. This means the more the wii distances itself from the PS360 in all regions the less Square Enix could ignore it. Especially since a lot of the smaller franchises rely on Japan, and the ps3 or 360 just don't have the userbases in Japan for this. So I expect alot of smaller franchises, and a few larger ones like DQ or KH(really disney's franchise, but still developed by SE) to go to the Wii. SE tried to do the same thing with the ds when they were putting all of their support on the PSP. Then after 2 years they started to support the ds like crazy. I expect us to see some more SE support for the Wii this year, and probably play this support in a year or two from now. Also the only rushed cash-in was DQS, and that was probably only to see how well games sold on the wii. The rest of the games look to have some quality behind them.

Around the Network

sc9 there are a few factors, SE Wada wants to make money period, the thing is they invested already in technology well ahead of the Wii, there's really no going back. What people seem to think is that SE main concern is the run-away costs of FFXIII the truth is their afraid of games like Fragile and a RPG made by Nintendo and right now they are watching Capcom intently.

Square loves to be the first to dip into he cake, and now their main concern is, "what if another company becomes the Nintendo SE." The calues of that company would be the value of the expanded market and the wii's core market which would look horrible for square, Sudennly you have the new gen RPG made by this company vs games like FF Chocobo Dungeon (dungeon crawler)...

I'm too tired to finish this so draw your own conclusions.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

@sc: Soul Eater is no doubt a rushed cash in as well. Chocobo may not be bad quality game, but it's no doubt rushed. All niche games that no one wants to play or that they regret doing so after the purchase. This is done on purpose to justify their future lack of support.

FFCC: MlaaK is a 1 month project I suppose, with more cash-ins which are the extra downloads.
FFCC:CB has been in development for 3 years and we still don't know who the main character is lol.

I think SE can ignore the Wii and they will. Why? Because They already have their engines running on the HD consoles. They wouldn't want to waste their time researching on the Wii, they are too lazy and stupid. They will miss an opportunity and maybe regret it, but they don't need the Wii to carry on. Nintendo is also culprit of this happening.

Lazyness at Nintendo's HQ is notably big this gen, they aren't willing to make a move and get 3rd party support. My hat goes off to MS who are getting pretty good exclusive support, or at least support from companies that didn't give a fuck about them last gen. Nintendo expects all things to happen naturally, that is just so wrong and arrogant.

I know SE and Nintendo aren't in good relations anymore, so there's no favour to be done from SE to Wii owners. DS is getting games because that's where the money is. I sometimes think some third parties want Wii to fail and SE is clearly one of them.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Nomura is PS fanboy so don't expect KH3 on Wii.

trestres said:

Will they?

I mean we have no info whatsoever on FFCC:CB I'm sure the game is vaporware.
They have nothing but Soul Eater, that will probably only get released in Japan due to no one knowing about the existance of that Anime here.

They support the PSP and DS A LOT, more than 80% of their games are for portable machines.

Anyone thinks they are in bad relations with Nintendo? Or do they really see no future in the Wii??

Here goes the famous lists!

DS:

Egg Monster Hero Average 70%
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Above Average
Children of Mana Below average 67%
Mario Hoops 3 on 3 Average 71%
FFIII Above Average REMAKE
FF Fables: Chocobo Tales Above Average 76%
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker Above Average 76%
Heroes of Mana Below Average 65%
Front Mission Average 74.5%
FFXII: Revenant Wings Above Average 80%
Itadaki Street DS Can't find it probably japan only.
The World Ends With You AAA
FFCC: Rings of Fate Above average 80%
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift Above Average 82%
Yosumin DS Probably Japan Only
DQIV Remake
FFIV Remake
Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness
Arkanoid DS Mediocre 65%
Nanashi no Game Japan Only probaly
DQV Remake
Sigma Harmonics New Ip
Chronno Trigger Enchanced Port
KH 358/2 Days Spinoff
Valkyre Profile DS Promising
DQVI REmake
Chocobo's Dungeon DS Already Posted
Chocobo's Tales 2
DQIX Primising
Space Invaders Extreme Excellent
Snoopy Seriously?
Bunch of other mini game collections or no-games Why even mention bad games?

PSP:

Valkyre Profile: Lenneth Port?
DQ and FF in Itadaki Street Portable Probably Japn only
FF Remake
FFII Remake
FF Tactics: The Lion Wars Port
CC: FFVII Spinoff
SO: First Departure Remake
SO: Second Evolution Remake
Dissidia FF Promising
KH: Birth by Sleep Spinoff
Space Invaders Extreme Excellent
Parasite Eve III Really a spinoff, but could be considered a sequel. Also a cellphone game
FFXIII Agito Spinoff Also a cell phone game. 

X360:

Project Sylpheed Don;t know what it is.
Infinite Undiscovery Could be a hit or a miss.
The Last Remnant Same as above
Star Ocean 4 Promising
FFXIII Promising
FFXI (MMO) Port
Rapture (MMO) Don't know what it is.

PS3:

The Last Remnant Same
FFXIII Same
FFvsXIII Spinoff of High qualty.
FFVII ACC Movie
Rapture (MMO) Same

Wii:

Chocobo's Dungeon Above Average 80%
DQ Swords: TMQatToM Mediocre
Soul Eater (Japan Only) Never confirmed Japan Only and could be a hit or miss.
FFCC:CB (vaporware most likely) Not Vaporware, and promisng
FFCC:MLaaK (Wiiware) Excellent cheap wiiware game.

And look at the Wii games, are spin offs or low quality games. The only one actually promising was FFCC:CB before it turned into vaporware....

COME ON SE SHOW WII SOME LOVE.

Discuss and bash me for whining.

See what I did there. I coudl downplay too.

Around the Network
shanbcn said:
Nomura is PS fanboy so don't expect KH3 on Wii.

Nomura doesn't own the KH IP. Disney does.

dib8rman said:
sc9 there are a few factors, SE Wada wants to make money period, the thing is they invested already in technology well ahead of the Wii, there's really no going back. What people seem to think is that SE main concern is the run-away costs of FFXIII the truth is their afraid of games like Fragile and a RPG made by Nintendo and right now they are watching Capcom intently.

Square loves to be the first to dip into he cake, and now their main concern is, "what if another company becomes the Nintendo SE." The calues of that company would be the value of the expanded market and the wii's core market which would look horrible for square, Sudennly you have the new gen RPG made by this company vs games like FF Chocobo Dungeon (dungeon crawler)...

I'm too tired to finish this so draw your own conclusions.

Well it so happens that the technology(Crystal Tools) also works on the Wii.

@Trestres: So they support DS for money, but not Wii for the same reason?

SE already is researching the Wii. I can't get your logic, in the OP, there were 5 Wii games listed and in the next page you are telling that SE isn't doing anything with it.

I wouldn't call Nintendo lazy with 3rd parties, they hire 3rd parties to develope games for them. Strikers, Mario Party etc developed with/by 3rd parties and Nintendo paid the bills. They just don't pay for porting games to Wii.

And the only thing that could stand between good relations with SE and Nintendo, is Sony owning 9%(?) of SE stock.

@dib8erman: Sticking with the tech they already invested in, is going to take the near bancrupcy, for the fourth time. I wonder who saves them this time.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@bdbdbd: Who ever said anything about porting? They are lazy because they believe they don't need 3rd party support. For example no 3rd party dev knew about Wii motion plus before E3. They are too closed and are not willing to help third parties. Very big mistake like in the N64 era.

Maybe Nintendo got the casuals in their pockets so far but they need to do something about the core audience, for example by pressing 3rd parties and suggesting them some ideas for games, sharing technology, resources and people. Some third parties will move onto the Wii by their own means, but other wont until they see Nintendo is at least enthusiastic themselves with the Wii.

BTW hiring a 3rd party dev to make a 1st party franchise game is not really getting 3rd party support at all.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

@trestres: You said that M$ has done good job with their wallets and if i recall, the most money have went to buying ports. Sure they have bought some (timed) exclusives as well.

I think motion plus was supposed to be a counter strike for rumoured 360 motion controller and was supposed to be a big announcement. If they wanted to keep it secret, you can't go telling anybody about it. Besides, if it was supposed to counter, it has been in developement only a few months or so and propably finished just before E3.

Nintendo does share ideas, tech and people. That's the whole idea of making games in collaboration. What tech, ideas and people does M$ share with 3rd parties? As long as i know, their shared ideas, tech and people have been "green". Nintendo atleast has Shigeru working with 3rd parties.

Maybe it's not "3rd party support", but it's supporting the 3rd parties, which eventually aim to 3rd party support. Besides, which is more important, developer X making a game and publishing it, or develor X making a game and Nintendo publishing it?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.