By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mortal Kombat coming to the DS

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47653

The grotesque fatalities, adorable babalities and heartwarming friendships of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 are on their way to Nintendo DS, IGN reports. Developed by the recently independent Other Ocean Interactive, formerly Backbone Charlottetown, and published by Midway, Ultimate Mortal Kombat is slated to hit the handheld this November.

In addition to the content of the original arcade version, Ultimate Mortal Kombat on DS will include Puzzle Kombat. First introduced in Midway's Mortal Kombat Deception (PS2, Xbox, GCN), Puzzle Kombat is extremely similar to Capcom's Super Puzzle Fighter series. Both the standard fighting mode and Puzzle Kombat will support online and local multiplayer for two players.

Other Ocean Interactive previously handled the Xbox Live Arcade version of Konami's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as well as the upcoming XBLA renditions of Disney's Tron and Discs of Tron. The XBLA edition of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was handled by Other Ocean's former sister studio, Backbone Vancouver.

"For what it's worth, myself and the original design team are very involved with this version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat for the DS," Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon told IGN. "It will be arcade accurate and we are very excited about it."

Around the Network

The touchscreen should make it easier to perform combos than both the D-pad and Wiimote.

If they make this a touch screen game it will be even worse than it already is. Never liked MK3...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
If they make this a touch screen game it will be even worse than it already is. Never liked MK3...

For a man with such a smiley happy avatar, you can sure be pissy and dismissive sometimes.

As for MK, touchscreen would be great for fatalaties, though the MK franchise is pretty much dead by this point.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I stopped paying full price for MK years ago. Its the game I will buy when I see it in bargain bin these days.

Wii number: 2758-1649-6225-4782

Click here to level up my license!

Around the Network

Mortal Kombat is pretty much a boring franchise now.  I don't understand why they keep churning them out when they have all been rubbish since the 2nd release on the Megadrive (Genesis).

Anyway, the only way it would work, is by revisiting the 2d game, but making it the best version of the game.

I reckon sales will be very low for it.  Although the DS doesn't really have any decent fighters and this could very well win the crown if its done properly. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

"don't understand why they keep churning them out when they have all been rubbish since the 2nd release on the Megadrive (Genesis)."

People keep buying them, and the cost for making the game is very low. Look at the street fighter series.

ckmlb said:
Never liked MK3...

Still it was way better game than all poor 3D incarnations...

Me and my friends had fun with it...it could be fun on the DS.

We played on XBLA last week...we played for like an hour. We printed out the combos for the fatalities, but we couldn't a single damn one to work. It was enjoyable though. Then we played Small Arms which I had never seen before. That was cool.

Anyway, MK3 on the DS could be very fun...if not for the sole fact that Sub Zero looks EXACTLY like Christian Bale.

hahaha. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )