By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd

davygee said:
euclid said:
This game has sold more then any OTHER PSP game? Or are you talking about all games on all platforms... I thought pokemon is the number 1 selling game for this year?

Japanese Chart 2007

1. Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd (PSP) - 1,256,186

2. Wii Sports (Wii) - 1,178,319

3. Wii Play (Wii) - 872,120

4. Yoshi Island DS (DS) - 857,435

5. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS) - 820,063

The above is for sales in Japan for this year only.

Holy crap. Now that is impressive.

A game on a platform with 1/3 the install base of another is outselling its games this year. That's crazy.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

monster hunter portable/freedom 2nd sell very good but is not a surprise, the first game have a million of copies sold now and before the launch of the second the first moster hunter portable have 961,000 copies sold, and was the more sold PSP game in Japan, the reason because the retailers accepted many units for the first week.

Capcom want to push this franchise to be more big with special events, a new PC online game, and many publicity but i dont think that this game in the future going to be the new Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, but monster hunter 2nd is a great game, and a fantastic portable game.

Since Capcom is putting alot more focuse on the Nintendo products it would be nice to see a Monster Hunter out for DS, but I doubt it.

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m

davygee said:
euclid said:
This game has sold more then any OTHER PSP game? Or are you talking about all games on all platforms... I thought pokemon is the number 1 selling game for this year?

Japanese Chart 2007

1. Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd (PSP) - 1,256,186

2. Wii Sports (Wii) - 1,178,319

3. Wii Play (Wii) - 872,120

4. Yoshi Island DS (DS) - 857,435

5. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS) - 820,063

The above is for sales in Japan for this year only.

monster hunter freedom 2nd is a great game and it is a number one in sales in Japan right now, but i dont think that this game finish the year in first place and be the more sold of the year in Japan, because Wii sports and Wii play sells like crazy, and this two games finish surpass and sell more in the year.

More games that can sell more that monster hunter 2nd in Japan this year:

Dragon Quest IX

Mario Galaxy

Final Fantasy VI crisis core

and MAYBE (i say maybe):

final fantasy Dissidia

smash brothers 

metal gear 4 (if is out this year) 

dragon quest Swords (if have great begin and some legs)

new super mario bros and more brain training (have superlegs and right now is seven and eight place in the yearly Japan chart)

other titles that can surpass Monter hunter freedom 2nd in the yearly japan chart? 

Pokemon isn't the best selling game in Japan in 2007. It was released in 2006 there. However, undoubtedly the best selling game in Japan in 2007 will be Dragon Quest IX.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Pokemon isn't the best selling game in Japan in 2007. It was released in 2006 there. However, undoubtedly the best selling game in Japan in 2007 will be Dragon Quest IX.

5 million? or 4 millions? or 6 million? for Dragon Quest IX

megaxl said:
naznatips said:

5 million? or 4 millions? or 6 million? for Dragon Quest IX

No 20 million...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Ackmed Tepish said:
Since Capcom is putting alot more focuse on the Nintendo products it would be nice to see a Monster Hunter out for DS, but I doubt it.

Being sensible, Capcom should release a third installment on the PSP.  Yes, if they want, they can release a PS3 version which communicates with the PSP or release a Wii version is they wish.  Somehow I don't think this would work on the DS.  Graphically it's very nice and part of the pleasure of the experience.  And I don't like games that are released on a whole multitude of platforms.

Anyway, the PSP has resurrected the game seeing as the first 2 games only sold around 250-300k copies in their lifetimes.  The first portable game broke the mythical 500k barrier after 13 weeks and broke the 1m barrier after 75 weeks.  The second portable game broke the 500k barrier in it's first week and broke the 1m in 4 weeks.

This IS THE game that is indicitively linked to the PSP in Japan seeing as no other game...so far has come close to the success of this franchise on the PSP in Japan.  It is definitely a Japan based game seeing as the first portable outing only sold around 300k units in the rest of the world compared to the 1.1m in Japan.  The 2nd game, may do a bit better seeing as the high profile it has, although I doubt it will sell more than 500-600k units in the rest of the world, but it may sell close to 1.5m in Japan alone.  Although the huge delay for translation etc for the western world doesn't help.

Anyway, I doubt it wil be the biggest selling game in Japan for 2007.  Wii Sports is quickly closing the gap and it will take over in the next month or so.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I truly expect DQIX to be the best selling DQ game ever made. That's not really a surprise though, considering the franchise sales are on the upswing. Honestly though, with all the attention the game is getting from Japan and America and the booming interest in the DS Dragon Quest IX will likely rival (if not surpass) worldwide Final Fantasy XII sales, and far far surpass Japanese Final Fantasy XII sales. I'm gonna say worldwide sales for DQIX rest at 6 million or more.

I think that this year, in Japan, besides DQIX obviously, the best selling game is gonna be between any of the Wii series games.

Besides those, Galaxy, Brawl, Crisis Core maybe. I believe Dissidia isn´t gonna be that big as some think. 500K maybe, more less like Rev Wings levels.

DQIX, who knows. The fact that is has 4 player co-op may multiply its sales from previous instalments.

Probably bigger than NSMB lifetime.

Oh, and if MGS4 is released in 07, expect 400k sales max in Japan