By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd

The PSP game that has sold more copies in 2007 than any other game, is still selling is seriously decent numbers.

18 weeks after it's release (in February), it's still selling over 5k a week.

It has now racked up an almighty impressive 1.25m copies in those 18 weeks in Japan alone.

The original Monster Hunter Freedom is still selling good numbers every week...around 1k-2k after 82 weeks in the charts although it's only sold 1m copies in Japan.

Capcom must be seriously thinking about creating a 3rd installment for the PSP.  We have been hearing rumours of a PC based MMO and that the PS3 will have Monster Hunter 3.  But considering the decent user base of the PSP in Japan and the figures show that it is hugely popular on the PSP.  Also Monster Hunter 1, 2 and G didn't sell particularly well on the PS2 considering the much bigger user base.  Capcom must surely realise that the PSP is a huge base and the most popular one for Monster Hunter.

I reckon pre-orders would be near 1m in Japan alone if this was to be release.

So Capcom, keep up the good work and keep making games for the PSP, especially Monster Hunter Freedom 3rd.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
davygee said:

The PSP game that has sold more copies in 2007 than any other game, is still selling is seriously decent numbers.

18 weeks after it's release (in February), it's still selling over 5k a week.

It has now racked up an almighty impressive 1.25m copies in those 18 weeks in Japan alone.

The original Monster Hunter Freedom is still selling good numbers every week...around 1k-2k after 82 weeks in the charts although it's only sold 1m copies in Japan.

Capcom must be seriously thinking about creating a 3rd installment for the PSP. We have been hearing rumours of a PC based MMO and that the PS3 will have Monster Hunter 3. But considering the decent user base of the PSP in Japan and the figures show that it is hugely popular on the PSP. Also Monster Hunter 1, 2 and G didn't sell particularly well on the PS2 considering the much bigger user base. Capcom must surely realise that the PSP is a huge base and the most popular one for Monster Hunter.

I reckon pre-orders would be near 1m in Japan alone if this was to be release.

So Capcom, keep up the good work and keep making games for the PSP, especially Monster Hunter Freedom 3rd.

Yeah I've noticed how popular this series is in Japan. Can you describe it for me? What's the genre? 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Why is DS still sell better than PSP though?

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m

Bodhesatva said:

Yeah I've noticed how popular this series is in Japan. Can you describe it for me? What's the genre?

It's like an RPG come adventure, come fighter.

You complete quests and gather upgraded weapons.

It's as simple as that. 

Ackmed Tepish said:
Why is DS still sell better than PSP though?

Because more people want it.

We are talking about Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd....not the DS 

Around the Network

But if game does so well, why not the console sell better? Is it cause American and Europe Numbers?

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m

Ackmed Tepish said:
But if game does so well, why not the console sell better? Is it cause American and Europe Numbers?

It did.  From the week MHF2 was released in Japan over the next 6 weeks, the PSP sales were much higher than normal.  PSP sales were normally around 30k on average every week.  But when MHF2 was released, the PSP was selling around 57k on average for the next 6 weeks until it came back down to normal.

So in theory, the PSP's sales doubled over the 6 week period from the games release.

Meaning that around 160k extra PSP's were sold due to MHF2.  Although this does not equate to sales of the game.  What it does mean, is that the release of the game, made an extra 160k Japanese buy the PSP.

The PSP is still steadily selling reasonably well around the world.  It will not beat DS or Wii weekly figures, but it is and has been steadily in there at 3rd for some time and it is doing not too bad....check out the WW sales for the last week.

DS - 388k

Wii - 214k

PSP - 151k

X360 - 69k

PS3 -  52k

This game has sold more then any OTHER PSP game? Or are you talking about all games on all platforms... I thought pokemon is the number 1 selling game for this year?

euclid said:
This game has sold more then any OTHER PSP game? Or are you talking about all games on all platforms... I thought pokemon is the number 1 selling game for this year?

PSP game and in Japan.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

euclid said:

Japanese Chart 2007

1.    Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd (PSP) - 1,256,186

2.    Wii Sports (Wii) - 1,178,319

3.    Wii Play (Wii) - 872,120

4.    Yoshi Island DS (DS) - 857,435

5.    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS) - 820,063

The above is for sales in Japan for this year only.