By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What's better? CS Source vs. CS 1.6 ??????

So many people still swear by 1.6, and there are still more active 1.6 servers than Source servers.

So which version do you think is better, and why?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

personally, I prefer old skool CS over :Source but thats because I was hooked to CS1.3-1.5 back in the day and had really fun moments and memories at my favorite server back then.  So I'm biased.

Eventually CS1.5 and WONID was finally shut down, forcing everyone to move to STEAM and CS 1.6 which made a lot of players quit CS or play less.  I was one of them too.

I still played 1.6 once in a while but I played this game to death already.  I just wasn't enjoying CS 1.6 like I used to.  I tried CS:S for the first time last year and it was nothing new either, same ol' CS with different graphics.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Most of the 1.6 players are just stubborn bastards, they're both balanced games of skill...I played CS:S more, though not anymore other than zombie mods usually.

How's Goldeneye Source? I see you playing it...I downloaded it on my rig before reformatting back to XP...I keep forgetting to download it again.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I personally think Goldeneye Source is an awful mod - It's literally just HL2DM in a 007 skin, the gameplay is seriously pretty bad for a 'faithful' nod to the original. The mapping on it however is fantastic!

On topic though heh, CS:Source just IS much better than 1.6, I like the fact that weapons actually shoot where you aim them on Source...

That was a dig and a truth at the same time, 1.6 is just silly. BenKenobi could be standing 2 feet away from me, I'll fire an AK47 and shoot through a window to my right a mile away.

Yeah that's an exaggeration but the weapons are horribly inaccurate on 1.6, it just isn't worth the effort when Source is more accessible and much more enjoyable and with no less skill involved either.

BenKenobi88 said:
Most of the 1.6 players are just stubborn bastards, they're both balanced games of skill...I played CS:S more, though not anymore other than zombie mods usually.

How's Goldeneye Source? I see you playing it...I downloaded it on my rig before reformatting back to XP...I keep forgetting to download it again.

As MrMarc said, Goldeneye Source...

Well, the levels are actually fantastic.  I really enjoy just going through all of the levels I spent so many hours on in GE on 64 in their source engine remakes.  They look fantastic.  They have classic style levels and then I guess "updated" version of old levels, and both are great for their own reasons.  I'm not sure if I'm as disgusted by the gameplay as MrMarc, but it definitely could use some (a lot) of tweaking.  It takes FOREVER to kill someone in Deathmatch, it's absolutely ridiculous.  So most people's solution to that problem is to play License to Kill, which makes everything a one shot kill basically, but that gets pretty lame too, as there's no reason to even get different guns than the PP7 because they all can kill in one or two shots.

So all in all, I mean, it's still a beta.  I think it has a ton of potential, and most of the gameplay fixes probably entail just quick variable fixes in the code.  I'm optimistic about it.

MrMarc, what were your grievences with the gameplay?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

CS source is better for sure.

CS 1.6 - Gotta stick with the classics. I actually think 1.5 was a bit better, but it's all good.

I think its a matter of preference.
Those that played in the WONID days have close feelings for old CS(aka stubbern bastards).
The new generation kids would obviously choose Source because 1.6 looks like shit in comparison.

Honestly both games have 98% same gameplay, same maps, same objective.
The only differences I noticed was CS:S has a more complicated radar and different flashbang effect.
knitpick: I also didn't like the physics objects blocking you and overly dark shadows that make it hard to distinguish enemy or teammates.

Whatever though, my CS addict days are over...TF2 is way more fresh and fun than both CS1.6 and :S combinated together IMO

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

It's all about the preference. The Counter-Strike community likes to resist change as long as they can stay 'elite'. I personally like Condition Zero the most and I sometimes play Source.

Apart from complaining about EVERYTHING, I will give one thing to the community's credit, Source does take some getting used to with shooting and being hit feeling different than old school versions.

ihira said:

personally, I prefer old skool CS over :Source but thats because I was hooked to CS1.3-1.5 back in the day and had really fun moments and memories at my favorite server back then.  So I'm biased.

Eventually CS1.5 and WONID was finally shut down, forcing everyone to move to STEAM and CS 1.6 which made a lot of players quit CS or play less.  I was one of them too.

I still played 1.6 once in a while but I played this game to death already.  I just wasn't enjoying CS 1.6 like I used to.  I tried CS:S for the first time last year and it was nothing new either, same ol' CS with different graphics.

Yea, I hated that they forced us to go to Steam at first. People said the day was coming but I never believed it. I remember the last weekend, my favourite servers shuting down, I played on some pool_day server that stayed till the end. Good memories.