By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Lingyis said:
so what if nintendo copied somebody else? "to see far you need to stand on the shoulder of giants" or however that saying goes (who was it... newton or somebody).

Actually, I'd argue that copying others this time around is a GOOD thing.

One of the things I've consistently given Sony and Microsoft credit for on these boards is adaptation: when they see a good product is kicking their butts, they quickly adapt and absorb the good ideas into their own products. Nintendo, on the other hand, has often stubbornly stuck by their guns even while their fans complained and their ship burned and sank.

There's no question that stubborn-ness like that can be an advantage: you can have the guts to try something new like the Wiimote. But it can also be a terrible limiter, as the cartridge-format and N64/PS1 era show. It is absolutely awesome to see them playing both ways -- being stubborn with risky good ideas, such as the Wii remote, and being flexible with other people's good ideas, such as downloadable content. It's a tight rope to walk -- staying firm but flexible -- but from the looks of it Nintendo is doing it extremely well. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

There's no question that stubborn-ness like that can be an advantage: you can have the guts to try something new like the Wiimote. But it can also be a terrible limiter, as the cartridge-format and N64/PS1 era show. It is absolutely awesome to see them playing both ways -- being stubborn with risky good ideas, such as the Wii remote, and being flexible with other people's good ideas, such as downloadable content. It's a tight rope to walk -- staying firm but flexible -- but from the looks of it Nintendo is doing it extremely well.

Or the damn friend codes and the process of adding a friend.

Bodhesatva said:
Lingyis said:
so what if nintendo copied somebody else? "to see far you need to stand on the shoulder of giants" or however that saying goes (who was it... newton or somebody).

One of the things I've consistently given Sony and Microsoft credit for on these boards is adaptation: when they see a good product is kicking their butts, they quickly adapt and absorb the good ideas into their own products. Nintendo, on the other hand, has often stubbornly stuck by their guns even while their fans complained and their ship burned and sank.

but... i am saying that copying others is a good thing!  by "to see  far you need to stand on shoulder of giants" i am saying "[for nintendo] to see far (go a long way) [nintendo] needs to stand on shoulder (i.e. build upon the foundation) of [xbox live or psn]".

i guess it wasn't very clear :P  innovation is about copying everybody else (99% of the time anyway).

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:
Bodhesatva said:
Lingyis said:

but... i am saying that copying others is a good thing! by "to see far you need to stand on shoulder of giants" i am saying "[for nintendo] to see far (go a long way) [nintendo] needs to stand on shoulder (i.e. build upon the foundation) of [xbox live or psn]".

i guess it wasn't very clear :P innovation is about copying everybody else (99% of the time anyway).

It sounds, to me, like you're saying that copying isn't a bad thing -- that's distinct from actually calling it a good thing. You can, for instance, think this decision is "mediocre" or "just okay," both of which would qualify as neither good nor bad. At least, that was my interpretation of it. Call me a picky interpreter if you'd like! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">