By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Looks like Sony is going to give Konami some good kick back this summer

SpartanFX said:
so for the next month the 80 GB MGS4 bundle would be the only one available for sale?

You still find some 40Gb but if it's any sign of a trend they will get rarer and rarer ( of course Sony could prove me wrong and maybe start shipping 40Gb again and stop shipping the bundle, we have no clue what is their stock on each product...). All I know is that in the last week they did some MAJOR bundle shipments ( easilly over 100k for NA I would think) but did not restock much 40Gb ( for reference 1 week ago my Best Buy didn't have any PS3 in stock).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

40GBs are way understocked to the point outside online the channel is nearly cleared. I'm certainly wondering if Sony will actually have the new 80GBs before the end of Aug/Sept. I've seen the MGS4 bundles here and their, with stock every couple of weeks but too limited still at best. The other issue being only so many people will still pay $500 for a console so without the 40GBs in store you have a serious issue.  

jman8 said:
colonelstubbs said:
The problem is, what if people dont want MGS4? Surely no consoles would be sold

They'll lose sales from people who were just interested in the 40gb model, but they'll gain sales from the people who were interested in the extra hard drive space, MGS4, rumble controller, and backwards compatibility. If anything, I think they would gain more consumers than they would lose b/c of the increased functionality.

That will be the other issue for the month and until they launch the new 80GB as well.

Gah, i want a PAL 80g (with all these installs to contend with) but apparently they are a lot louder than the 40g models. Gah

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Jlmadyson said:

40GBs are way understocked to the point outside online the channel is nearly cleared. I'm certainly wondering if Sony will actually have the new 80GBs before the end of Aug/Sept. I've seen the MGS4 bundles here and their, with stock every couple of weeks.

It would be funny if Sony managed to match sales of the price cut 20Gb 360 with the more expensive 80Gb bundle :P

this should increase mgs4 sales

Around the Network

This is a very aggressive and good form of moneyhatting/marketing.

Perceived value.

It's the reason it's selling. People are like, Well, I can get a 40 gig with no b/c, no DS3, and no game, or I can get an eighty gig, an awesome game, 40 more gigs of space, and b/c. The perceived value is higher than the MSRP, and higher than the difference in MSRP between the 40 and 80 gig.

This would have worked the same if MS bundled Halo 3 the game with the Halo 3 console. As we can already see it works for wii and Wii Sports.

I do hope this leads to MGS4 securing at least 4 mill WW sales

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

blazinhead89 said:
Good for Sony and good for Konami, I Applaud Kojima/Konami on not falling victim to M$ moneyhatting ways ( not like a certain few companies)

ah yes, but falling into $ony moneyhatting is completely different. 

Only issue is that those MGS4 bundle sales won't be listed by NPD as they do not count bundles...

@ Ail

The game doesn't count, but the system does.