By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Aliens are out there, says former Nasa astronaut

Sqrl said:
Fernando said:

The vastness of the universe is a tremendous expression of God's might and power. God is greater than we could ever imagine, even greater that His spectacular creation, the universe. Psalm 8:1,3,9 states,

“O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth, Who hast displayed Thy splendor above the heavens! …When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which Thou has ordained; …O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth!”

The rest of the Universe was created because he wanted to show us His power and glory.

Despite spending not millions, but billions of dollars, NASA and others have not found the slightest proof for life anywhere but Earth.

Also: evolution from primates and monkeys is stupid. God created us in His image.

Great, you've given your view now let other people give theirs. 

PS - There is a lot of irony and a person of deep religious faith pointing out a lack of evidence as a reason not to believe in something.  Try to be a little open minded and remember that the bible, even if you assume it was inspired by the word of god, was written by men and translated by men dozens of times, men who are in fact prone to error and prone to introduce their own bias into their writings.

2 Timothy 3:16 contains the classic claim that the Bible was produced by God, not just men:

All Scripture is inspired by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

And read this: 2 Peter 1:21 gives some insight:

No prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God

2 PETER 1:21 NEB
21 For it was not through any human whim that men prophesied of old; men they were, but, impelled by the Holy Spirit, they spoke the words of God.

HEBREWS 1:1 NKJ
1 God, who at various times and in different ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets.

1 THESSALONIANS 2:13 NKJ
13 . . . when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.

Around the Network
Fernando said:

The vastness of the universe is a tremendous expression of God's might and power. God is greater than we could ever imagine, even greater that His spectacular creation, the universe. Psalm 8:1,3,9 states,

“O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth, Who hast displayed Thy splendor above the heavens! …When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which Thou has ordained; …O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth!”

The rest of the Universe was created because he wanted to show us His power and glory.

Despite spending not millions, but billions of dollars, NASA and others have not found the slightest proof for life anywhere but Earth.

Also: evolution from primates and monkeys is stupid. God created us in His image.

Ah yes....the always ambiguous Psalms.

I think you're misinterpreting the phrase "How majestic is Thy name in all the earth".  It is meant more as a praise, rather than some sort of "how majestic is your creation, the Earth, compared to that other stuff mentioned prior".

Fernando said:

omg you have no knowledge of your own scripture. Ask any Rabbi or christian religious history scholar what the Psalms are. They are NOT god's words to men about the universe or peity. They ARE personal religious poems about things that concerned early Israelites, written exclusively by many Israelites overy a long period of time.

As an example: Psalm 137 which is an obvious plea to God to rectify the current Israelite situation in regards to Babylonian exile. This person is asking for violent retribution, it is a very human emotion and action. I especially like the final plea to for God to take their enemies children and bash them on the rocks. Yeah, that's clearly God's words there.

1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
       when we remembered Zion.

2 There on the poplars
       we hung our harps,

3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
       our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
       they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

4 How can we sing the songs of the LORD
       while in a foreign land?

5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
       may my right hand forget its skill .

6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
       if I do not remember you,
       if I do not consider Jerusalem
       my highest joy.

7 Remember, O LORD, what the Edomites did
       on the day Jerusalem fell.
       "Tear it down," they cried,
       "tear it down to its foundations!"

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
       happy is he who repays you
       for what you have done to us-

9 he who seizes your infants
       and dashes them against the rocks.

Now can you give me an actual quote from the Bible that says God only created life on Earth. Even you first attempt didn't actually do that.

I agree with superchunk again...Psalms is barely scripture anyway.  It is only a little more so than the semi-entertaining songs of Solomon.

You do know that the books in the Bible were not written necessarily for the express purpose of being in what we know as "the Bible" right?  The books aren't even in chronological order (as to when they were written).

You guys can say whatever you want: but... there's is no evidence of life outside the earth, and until that happen, I'm right.

So, when they find life outside the earth, I will eat my words.

You guys are defending something without evidences againts the words of God.     Unbelievable.

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
Sqrl said:

In addition I will add that it is widely believed amongst physicist that folding space for the purpose of travel is technically possible under our current understanding.  To be clear their position is essentially that it breaks no rules they can see and so should be possible, whether or not its a viable option in terms of energy cost, and whether or not it is safe are questions far beyond our current understanding but the fact that the door is open means it is possible for another civilization to have done it.

Pics or it didn't happen.

(link? sounds interesting.)

Gah, I just gave the book back to my friend or I could site page numbers but Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" goes into a discussion on this towards the end of the book.  I'm working on the sequel right now "The Fabric of the Cosmos" while also trudging my way through Roger Penrose's "The Road to Reality".

I advise the first two by Greene for those without a math background but for Road to Reality you will probably want undergraduate level mathematical training.  I'm not a phenom at math but I'm pretty good and its probably the heaviest reading I've ever done lol.  It focuses on the math quite a bit.

To Each Man, Responsibility

As episolon stated, your psalm quote is mearly a praise to God as that author's viewpoint of God's majesty. It has absolutely nothing to do with life outside of Earth.

Thanks sqrl. I'll have to look into that.

Ha, a Christian saying, "You have no evidence, and I won't believe it until you do." That is good stuff.

Fernando said:
Sqrl said:
Fernando said:

Great, you've given your view now let other people give theirs. 

PS - There is a lot of irony and a person of deep religious faith pointing out a lack of evidence as a reason not to believe in something.  Try to be a little open minded and remember that the bible, even if you assume it was inspired by the word of god, was written by men and translated by men dozens of times, men who are in fact prone to error and prone to introduce their own bias into their writings.

2 Timothy 3:16 contains the classic claim that the Bible was produced by God, not just men:

All Scripture is inspired by God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

And read this: 2 Peter 1:21 gives some insight:

No prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God

2 PETER 1:21 NEB
21 For it was not through any human whim that men prophesied of old; men they were, but, impelled by the Holy Spirit, they spoke the words of God.

HEBREWS 1:1 NKJ
1 God, who at various times and in different ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets.

1 THESSALONIANS 2:13 NKJ
13 . . . when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.

How many of these were written in english?  How many of these have you personally read in the original language in which they were written?  And are you certain beyond any doubt that your interpretation is as infallible as the will with which you believe they were written?

The answers are of course: zero, zero, and no.

Fernando said:

You guys can say whatever you want: but... there's is no evidence of life outside the earth, and until that happen, I'm right.

So, when they find life outside the earth, I will eat my words.

You guys are defending something without evidences againts the words of God.     Unbelievable.

By this logic until you can show proof of god you're wrong.

How about we each just have our views and stop making claims of who is right and wrong?

To Each Man, Responsibility