By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can the PS3 really surpass the 360 next year?

A lot of people keep saying "sometime next year the PS3 will surpass the 360´s worldwide install base"....I guess it´s possible, but how LIKELY do you think that is?

I know there´s holiday season and other things to take into account, but if the sales figures for both PS3 and 360 stay so close to each other, wouldn´t it take longer than 2009?

Around the Network

It should take about 4 years if sales stay the same, but average PS3 sales are on the rise and average X360 sales on falling so it will most likely happen next year and probably at the holiday times when the most consoles are sold.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

@mitsuhide

Hmmm...but aren´t 360 sales this year actually better than last year?

^ you are correct, 360 sales are up for the year.

the holiday season move a ton of hardware and the ps3 is obviously moving faster. as much as i hate to admit it the ps3 will pass the 360 pretty soon. 2009 seems like a reasonable time frame. although, i doubt it will pull far enough ahead this gen to make the 360 irrelevant. 3rd parties will continue to develop for both unlike last gen where the ps2 was an obvious leader.

PS3 will be just behind 360 this year, and it will surpass 360 next year.

Around the Network

we will know after this holiday

@kitler

But you really think it´s moving fast enough for that to happen next year?

@Mitsuhide: wanna give me an example of how 360 sales are falling? Cuz last I checked, they were still better than they were last year, which was a pretty good year.

PS3 and 360 will both be relevant no matter what, but we'll have to wait a few weeks and see if the 360 can sustain its' current level of sales (selling on parity with PS3, a few k higher or lower each week)

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

i think it will take the PS3 longer than that now, i orginally agreed that PS3 sales would surpass 360 sales next year, but having seen strong 360 sales reccently and the fact that i expect Gears 2 and Fable 2 to shift at least a few extra consoles, i already have both though, so it dosent bother me as long as both consoles get loads of AAA games and get succsesors made.

I postulate that the PS3 will not surpass the 360 until 2010. I think this holiday season will be the most telling sign of how long it will take for the PS3 to surpass the 360.