By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do I hate Gamestop so?

Gamestop is still better than Best Buy who tries to sell extended warranty for everything from a console to a controller.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network

Corporate America. Nothing has heart anymore.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

I dislike that game stop will seel you "new" games that have no case or manual.

I also hate when I'll wait a while to buy a game I might be interested in, and then the only copy they have left is the beat up shelf copy that's been pawed by way too many 8 year olds. I suppose that's my own fault for waiting though.

But, most of all, WTH is with all the stickers they feel the need to slap all over used game boxes. Then I end up trying to peel them off when I get home (they just look too dang ugly), only to leave nasty sticky residue or leave half the backing if I'm not careful enough. Especially the older ones. Couldn't they at least use less sticky stickers? >

I hate them. Rip off trades, layoffs and hiring seasonal only while keeping other seasonals on who don't know sh(t from shinola and getting rid of me who was in game school @ the time and blew the manager away on the interview. 1 manager said that the MGS PS3 was the 80 GB SKU when it was clearly the 40 and the cardboard advert was right next to him.

Yeah, I rarely go to the Gamestops around here any more. I only go there if I'm already in the area doing other shopping, or if I'm looking for a more niche title. I despise being pestered to pre-order games, buy strategy guides, or get their crappy Game Informer magazine(advertisement). I know it's not the employees fault, so I don't get pissy with them, but it has really driven me away from the store.

For years here in the Birmingham, Alabama area there were a few GamXchange stores. Sadly the last one closed about a year ago, but last I spoke to the workers they said the store was doing well, just not spectacular. They also told me the owner had other businesses he was operating and opening up, so maybe that's why they closed the last one, along with the ever-increasing crime in that area.

But GameXchange was a dream. They had stuff for all of the current systems, but most importantly they had legacy games, systems, peripherals, and often times the instruction manuals and original cases. I'd spend roughly 2 hours there on each trip going through each game they had for the systems I owned. Let's face it, there's not a lot of game stores that have a copy of Ogre Battle 64 and multiple copies of unopened NiGHTS Into Dreams just sitting behind the counter.

I do have on last safe haven for legacy game shopping not 5 minutes from my house. The store focuses mostly on the newer stuff, but they still have lots of NES, SNES, N64, GB/GBC, and Genesis stuff. They even have some TG-16, Saturn, and Atari stuff sprinkled throughout the place. I don't know what I'd do without them. :)

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network

gamestop is cheap cheap cheap cheap! they buy your used games for like 10 bucks each but sell them for 55! thats only 5 bucks cheaper than if you buy it new! and anyways, i bought bluedragon (new copy, well at least thats what the guy assured me). so i went home, and saw that it was used, of course it wasnt sealed either!

axumblade said:
Godot said:
Gamestop is still better than Best Buy who tries to sell extended warranty for everything from a console to a controller.

yeah. Gamestop just harasses you until you preorder something that you didn't really want in the first place.

I swear they won't leave me alone. I walk in there and buy a game for the DS. I don't even mention the games that I have but then they start in "have you reserved your copy of too human?" and I am like "I dont have a 360" and they're like "well then what about Animal Crossing?" and I'm like "well. I don't  have a Wii?"

Not at my GameStop.  Our manager doesn't care all that much.  At most we'll offer a reserve of Madden to a guy buying NCAA or something similar, or an Edge subscription to a guy buying a lot of used games.  Basically, we offer these things to people who we think would actually care about them. 

I've always hated the whole harassment thing at GameStop, and when I got hired I vowed to never pull that crap on customers. I got hired at a new store, and just about everybody at the store feels the same way except for one person.

axumblade said:
makingmusic476 said:
axumblade said:
Godot said:

yeah. Gamestop just harasses you until you preorder something that you didn't really want in the first place.

I swear they won't leave me alone. I walk in there and buy a game for the DS. I don't even mention the games that I have but then they start in "have you reserved your copy of too human?" and I am like "I dont have a 360" and they're like "well then what about Animal Crossing?" and I'm like "well. I don't  have a Wii?"

Not at my GameStop.  Our manager doesn't care all that much.  At most we'll offer a reserve of Madden to a guy buying NCAA or something similar, or an Edge subscription to a guy buying a lot of used games.  Basically, we offer these things to people who we think would actually care about them. 

I've always hated the whole harassment thing at GameStop, and when I got hired I vowed to never pull that crap on customers. I got hired at a new store, and just about everybody at the store feels the same way except for one person.

I'm glad there is at least 1 gamestop that doesn't do that.

I'll admit, stores like ours are few and far between.

And luckily our reserve and subcription numbers still stay pretty high, or our district manager would be bitching at us about it.

Because they let their employees borrow new games and when they return it sell them as new...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=35589

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I used to go to a Rhino's near that area, lived in Savannah, GA., then moved up to Ringgold, GA.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721