By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best next-gen gaming system is also the most expensive. FACT!

If something costs over 300 dollars, I'm not buying it... Look at yourself... Your spending 2000$ on Video games. Actually, 2000$+, since that doesn't include games... You can get a Wii, 360 and a PS3 and many games for that same price... Look at it this way.... You are a failure...
You like my opinion on your life? Because it's true...

Around the Network

The value of individual games is subjective. While the PC may have more quality games, from an individual's perspective, it is entirely possible that a few games are more important than all of them. To someone who loves Mario and Zelda like myself, Nintendo's current console will always be my "best" curren-gen game system. The PC could have 1,000 games rated 100 on gamerankings and I would still take the current Nintendo system. Thus, your argument has no merit. There is no way to objectively say one console is a better experience for everyone when the value of software is so subjective.

RolStoppable said:
That's like saying the best woman is also the most expensive.

Wait, are you referring to prostitution or just general womanly-upkeep expenses?

I guess it could work either way, eh? :)

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
famousringo said:
I've enjoyed quite a few PC games in my day, but there are limits which the PC has which consoles do not have.

The PC is trapped with the keyboard and mouse interface. It has been for two decades now, and looks to be hooked on it for the forseeable future. That's a pretty good interface to be stuck with, but it isn't optimized for gaming. In fact, it can get downright uncomfortable, since it demands you sit at a desk and many of us use a keyboard and mouse for hours every day at work and wouldn't like to risk injury by using them for even more hours in our leisure time.

Oh sure, you can hook up any input device you like to a PC as long as you can find drivers for it. Just don't expect any software to take full advantage of that device, because all the developers will assume their customers will use a keyboard and mouse.

The second weakness of the PC is multiplayer. PC kicks major ass at online multiplayer, but it absolutely stinks at local multiplayer. The assumption is a single user sitting at a desk, and you almost never get a game which will accept multiple input devices or display a split screen. LANs are fun, but they require a pretty massive effort to get all that hardware together.

The final issue with PC games is quality control. Supporting the myriad of hardware configurations is a challenge, and playing driver roulette to try to get a game to work sucks for the consumer. Furthermore, some of us really don't like the "publish it, then patch it" model which is now creeping from the PC onto the HD consoles. I know some people like this model for the bug fixes and added content, but some of us prefer to buy games which are finished, polished, and full-featured on release.

In the end, it comes down to values. I've been a PC gamer for quite a while, and I still play a few games on PC, but I'm swinging towards consoles now in a major way. I just find that consoles better represent what I want out of games these days.

I agree with this. It's the reason why PC gaming (apart from flash games and such) isn't as big as console gaming... PC "fanboys" (different from normal 'fans') have a similar mindset of being better than console gaming in the same way PS3 "fanboys" think little of the Wii.

It's not about bigger numbers (memory, processors, chip sets, number of games) it's about ease of use.
Yes you CAN connect a PC to a tv screen and use a controller, but that means either buying another TV, buying another PC, or doing a lot of awkward transporting, and having some fugly PC (less of an issue now as stacks are actually designed) next to your living room TV.
I want my PC near my printer, at my desk so I can use it as most do, for internet and general multimedia tasks with photos, videos and music, and as a word processor. I don't happen to have room for a TV next to it and if I did there would be nowhere comfortable to sit for gaming. Then there are installs and compatability issues which are in no way user friendly.

BenKenobi88 said:
You don't need anywhere near $2000 to build a good gaming PC.

Mine's under $1000 and it plays Crysis pretty well.

And of course PCs are useful for MUCH more than a gaming console could be.

Alt hough that might be true,  you must take into consideration that a lot of people don't have the time to build a good computer for that price or for that matter, not a lot of people know how to build, the nice thing about consoles is that you avoid all that hassle.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Its all preference. I've never played a PC game and don't intend to start now.

And you call yourself a gamer? I've played all sorts of games, including those outside of electronic medium. Hey though, small enviroment of gaming experience only leads to small.... nvm

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

StanGable said:
BenKenobi88 said:
You don't need anywhere near $2000 to build a good gaming PC.

Mine's under $1000 and it plays Crysis pretty well.

And of course PCs are useful for MUCH more than a gaming console could be.

Alt hough that might be true,  you must take into consideration that a lot of people don't have the time to build a good computer for that price or for that matter, not a lot of people know how to build, the nice thing about consoles is that you avoid all that hassle.

Even if you don't build a PC, and just buy a pre-made, you will still have a decent deal if you spent $1000 on it.

PC is getting more and more intuitive and hassle-free, while consoles are getting less intuitive and with more hassle.

TWRoO said:
famousringo said:
I've enjoyed quite a few PC games in my day, but there are limits which the PC has which consoles do not have.

The PC is trapped with the keyboard and mouse interface. It has been for two decades now, and looks to be hooked on it for the forseeable future. That's a pretty good interface to be stuck with, but it isn't optimized for gaming. In fact, it can get downright uncomfortable, since it demands you sit at a desk and many of us use a keyboard and mouse for hours every day at work and wouldn't like to risk injury by using them for even more hours in our leisure time.

Oh sure, you can hook up any input device you like to a PC as long as you can find drivers for it. Just don't expect any software to take full advantage of that device, because all the developers will assume their customers will use a keyboard and mouse.

The second weakness of the PC is multiplayer. PC kicks major ass at online multiplayer, but it absolutely stinks at local multiplayer. The assumption is a single user sitting at a desk, and you almost never get a game which will accept multiple input devices or display a split screen. LANs are fun, but they require a pretty massive effort to get all that hardware together.

The final issue with PC games is quality control. Supporting the myriad of hardware configurations is a challenge, and playing driver roulette to try to get a game to work sucks for the consumer. Furthermore, some of us really don't like the "publish it, then patch it" model which is now creeping from the PC onto the HD consoles. I know some people like this model for the bug fixes and added content, but some of us prefer to buy games which are finished, polished, and full-featured on release.

In the end, it comes down to values. I've been a PC gamer for quite a while, and I still play a few games on PC, but I'm swinging towards consoles now in a major way. I just find that consoles better represent what I want out of games these days.

I agree with this. It's the reason why PC gaming (apart from flash games and such) isn't as big as console gaming... PC "fanboys" (different from normal 'fans') have a similar mindset of being better than console gaming in the same way PS3 "fanboys" think little of the Wii.

It's not about bigger numbers (memory, processors, chip sets, number of games) it's about ease of use.
Yes you CAN connect a PC to a tv screen and use a controller, but that means either buying another TV, buying another PC, or doing a lot of awkward transporting, and having some fugly PC (less of an issue now as stacks are actually designed) next to your living room TV.
I want my PC near my printer, at my desk so I can use it as most do, for internet and general multimedia tasks with photos, videos and music, and as a word processor. I don't happen to have room for a TV next to it and if I did there would be nowhere comfortable to sit for gaming. Then there are installs and compatability issues which are in no way user friendly.

PC gaming is bigger than all home consoles combined, both in userbase and profit. There are an estimated 270 millions Online PC Gamers. I don't know why people some people keep saying that consoles are more popular (unless you're including handhelds).

And what's so hard about connecting a PC to a TV? It's as easy as connecting a console. There is no awkward transproting because all you need is move the PC to near the TV!! PCs aren't heavy.

'fugly' PC??!! That's so idiotic to use that as your arguement since PS3 looks terrible (Imo) and Xbox 360 looks just like a PC!!!

You want your PC near your printer and in your desk, so why are you arguing against people who DO want their PC near their big TV? And if you really wanted to play on your PC, you would get a comfy chair for your desk, just like a decent PC gamer does. My chair is very comfy, and I almost never get tired from sitting on it.

As I said in a post above, PCs are getting more intuitive, with less compatibility issues and more auto-patching and updating. However, consoles are getting less intuitive, with more installs and patching issues than ever.

shio said:

PC gaming is bigger than all home consoles combined, both in userbase and profit. There are an estimated 270 millions Online PC Gamers. I don't know why people some people keep saying that consoles are more popular (unless you're including handhelds).

And what's so hard about connecting a PC to a TV? It's as easy as connecting a console. There is no awkward transproting because all you need is move the PC to near the TV!! PCs aren't heavy.

'fugly' PC??!! That's so idiotic to use that as your arguement since PS3 looks terrible (Imo) and Xbox 360 looks just like a PC!!!

You want your PC near your printer and in your desk, so why are you arguing against people who DO want their PC near their big TV? And if you really wanted to play on your PC, you would get a comfy chair for your desk, just like a decent PC gamer does. My chair is very comfy, and I almost never get tired from sitting on it.

As I said in a post above, PCs are getting more intuitive, with less compatibility issues and more auto-patching and updating. However, consoles are getting less intuitive, with more installs and patching issues than ever.

O really?? Not in NA:

PC Games 14% of 2007 Retail Games Sales; World of Warcraft and Sims Top PC Sales Charts

Jan 24, 2008 5:16pm CST tags:

Of the $18.85 billion the video game industry generated at North American retailers throughout 2007, only $910.7 million of that, roughly 14%, was attributed to PC games.

Data from the sales-tracking firm NPD reveals that retailers sold 267.8 million games in 2007, 36.4 million of which were PC titles. Console games brought in $6.6 billion, selling 153.9 million units total, while portable software hauled a record $2 billion in revenue with 77.5 million units sold.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Shoestar said:

wasn't that the intel guy? I thought he was talking about the transistors on a cpu? well... if you buy anything new now, it is no longer  gonna be new sooner or later. a core 2 quad at 2.65 ghz might cost 15% less in a year but then so are the pricedrops for the consoles such as the PS3 or X360... or so much is the cost of adding just another pheripheral to be able to play a game on the wii.

Aswell, yes, the main purpose of a PC is not gaming, as as the main purpose of a car is not racing for the 'general public'. But wrong is it to assume that there are not people who buy a PC for the main purpose of gaming. Why else would a tri-sli 9800 gtx sell? not everyone does graphic design :)

I need my PC for work but I'd be damned if I don't use it to play games.

Graphic Designers use a Mac.. We don't want a windows PC.. :P

Check the software sales figures for graphic design software and then see if your sweeping generalization isn't about as useful as most generalizations.