By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official Beijing Olympics 2008 Thread

Time for Africa to get some medals... They're showing prelims for sprinting now.

Honestly, how intimidating must it be for the Asians and white guys in these sprints? They know they're gonna get whipped.

Holy shit, that Bolt guy from Jamaica is fast... Appropriate name, that's for sure.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
segajon said:
i meant 100m fly, and holy shit phelps beat cavic by .01 of a second, damn!

And Andrew Lauterstein of Australia in third!!!

>_>

Australia was racing?  j/k  (Sucks to be third in that kind of race, always overshadowed)

That race had me on the edge of my seat, I can't believe Phelps won.  I literally screamed like a girl when he won.  I don't blame Covic for challenging the call, it was so close I thought that he won.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Grey Acumen said:

if we count weighted totals as Gold = 3, Silver = 2, Bronze = 1, then China is leading USA by 15 points, so a few more golds could drive that up. (currently china = 26G, 9S, 6B = 102 vs USA = 14G, 13S, 19B = 87)

I don't want to be a poor sport, and I seriously do congratulate the Chinese athletes on their victories, but I do wonder how many of these athletes are in a situation of "you get gold or at least beat USA, or you/your family will lose all the special privileges you've gotten as an athlete to represent us/will be billed and forced into debt to pay for all those special privileges you've gotten/sold/killed/ostracized from your community/etc.

I look at all the issues that are coming to light about that opening ceremony, and NBC even did an article about how chinese in the area have gone over all sorts of different "dos and do nots" for the "face" they want to show the world, and this even included not letting people wear the clothes they usually do. Literally, that's exactly what the news article stated, but they were spinning it as a completely positive and and welcomed "facelift" for the country, instead of what it really comes across as, which is a mandated MASK.

Taking all this into context, I honestly am worried for the Chinese athletes who don't do well. I am also wondering a bit how much home town "advantage" the chinese are getting, both in terms of government interference as well as polution factors.

Oh, and just for the heck of it:

Germany - 32, South Korea - 40, Italy - 30, Japan - 29, Australia - 37, Russia - 33, France - 32

(I only did the totals that had more than 10 medals total)

I'm not only worried about those who don't perform well, but those who currently being picked to compete in 12-16 years.  think how bad your childhood would suck if all you could ever do was train in the 10 meter air pistol

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Dogs Rule said:

The argument became moot when Australia became a major player in the Summer Olympics despite their relative population.

EDIT: In Michael Phelpsia, the Gold medals per capita is 6!

Yeah Australia's third in overall medal count at the moment. Pretty amazing considering that second place, China has more than 65 times the population...
But if you do go by capita, Australia has 1 medal for every 1 million citizens :)

I just hate the way they rank the countries as is >_>
One country could have 8 gold, 0 silver and 0 bronze, while the country ranked one place below it could have 7 gold, 1000 silver and 10 000 000 bronze >_>

The Aussies always start out strong the first week, since it's heavy on swimming. (The one event they really compete at a high level in at the summer games.) Don;t be surprised if they tail off once the second track-heavy week begins and the swimming finishes up.

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Wooo, another gold for Australia :D
Now we're in 4th overall.
And to that guy above me, it wasn't from swimming >_>

Oh, and congrats Canada... you now have one medal...

Around the Network

CANADA WINS A MEDAL AND ITS SILVER WOOT!!!!1!!

@Frodaddyg: That may be partially true but we've still ranked fourth in the last 2 Olympics. Swimming may be our main sport but we get a smattering on medals in many other sports.

-               

3                 -           2

Sorry Italy =p.

Canada wins gold in women's freestyle 48kg

Canada wins silver and redemption in Men's pair rowing

Canada wins bronze in women's 55-kilogram freestyle competition

...only took us 8 days to reach the podium.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

@konnichiwa: Congratulations. Haha, that was great.