By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next Halo game sounds like a copy off of Gears of War to me

jpcsfsd said:
Once again over the shoulder view and third person view are not the same.

Yes they are.  There's no such thing as a "second person view" when talking about cameras.  You can call it a "third person limited" view if you must, but if you can see your character, it's third person...there can be camera limitations but it's 100% third person, no arguments.

And "third person" definitely does NOT mean you can look over anyone and everyone at any given time.  That could be possible in a game, but that's not what it has to mean.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
Anyone wanna actually link to where we have any confirmed info on this game before we go crying that it's copying something else?

Thats the thing.  There is none.  Full stop.

Socom is 3rd person view gears of war is over the shoulder view. They are very close to each other but not quite the same.

jpcsfsd said:
Socom is 3rd person view gears of war is over the shoulder view. They are very close to each other but not quite the same.

No, you don't seem to understand.

They're BOTH 3rd person view.  GeoW just has a different camera angle than some other games, an over-the-shoulder camera angle.  It doesn't cease to be 3rd person when you shift the camera slightly behind a guy...

If you can see your guy, it's 3rd person.  That's it.  Within third person, there are various camera angles games use, such as over-the-shoulder like GeoW or RE4, or a rotatable camera like many action adventure games use, or even a static camera like the old RE games.  They're all 3rd person views.  1st person is obviously where you see what your character sees, and there is no 2nd person. 

2nd person is for narratives only, where instead of saying "I went to store today(1st person)," they say, "You went to the store today."  And 3rd person is "Jimmy went to the store today."

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Halo and Gears of war arent both particuly orginal anyway, so who really cares?

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

erm as a 360 owner i believe this is what i been longing for i mean gears of war and halo combine this is like superman and batman combine is fuckin awesome

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

Wait so Halo 3 has sold 8 million while Gears of War sold 5 million. I guess it's a smart decision to copy a game that sold less copies than your own...

So whats your source again?

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

I don't know what the source is but someone mentioned it on this forum.

And no not every 3rd person game is a copy off of Gears of War, I never said that, wtf is wrong with you people I say one thing and you all start jumping to conclusions about me like I now think that every game that is darker and grittier is a copy off of Gears or that every 3rd person game is a copy off of gears. It's just when you combine them together and the way that they put it that it makes it sound similar.

And I guess it's just a rumor but I didn't know that at the time of posting but here are some sources for you:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/13/rumor-next-halo-is-darker-grittier-tactical-and-without-mas/

http://stevebirk.blogspot.com/2008/07/darker-grittier-halo.html

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Bungie_To_Reveal_Grittier_Halo_At_E3__13475_7105_0.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26483669&sid=6193720&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

PC Gamer

Why would they copy a less successful game? Generally when you copy something, you copy something more popular not less.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

I hope the next Metroid follows suit. I wanna see some 3rd person Samus, dammit!