By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It’s Time to Stop Hating on EA

It’s Time to Stop Hating on EA

July 20, 2008 by Aram Kuredjian 

Some people just want to seem like rebels. Whether it’s a supposed boycott of a company, or merely hating a company for the sake of hating it (of course the excuse is usually because that said company is “evil”), some people just need to hate something to love… well, something else. The logic doesn’t make sense to me either, but it does to those who follow it.

EA is one of those companies. There are people out there that refuse to acknowledge EA as a good publisher. People that hate EA are like the people that hate Britney Spears. They honestly have no good reason to hate her, they just do, and the same thing goes for EA. But honestly, it’s time to put an end to all the hatred towards EA.

Personally speaking, I figured everyone would stop putting them down when they published both Rock Band and The Orange Box last year, two of the best games released in 2007. But that isn’t the case — people will forget that EA put them out and go back to what they know, “What, NCAA Football is coming out? And then another Madden game? EA sucks, they don’t innovate and they don’t put out good games!”

I think some gamers fail to realize that gaming is a business and doesn’t revolve around them. Much like the way the internet nearly broke when Microsoft and Square-Enix showed off Final Fantasy XIII, people forgot that this is a business. These gaming companies need to do what’s necessary to stay in business. Are PS3 owners losing anything? Nope. More gamers get to enjoy a good game. You’ll hear fans of an exclusive franchise squeal about how more and more people should play their favorite game, but give it a chance on another platform and they sing a different tune. But back to the point here, will Square-Enix be making more money? Absolutely.

The same thing goes for EA. All of the yearly sports updates and film-based games; the Harry Potter’s, the Batman’s, the Lord of the Rings’, and more, they all sell because people buy them. Why should EA stop putting out games like that? They sell, they make the company money and there are people out there willing to play those games. What’s the problem with it?

But it’s because of film tie-ins and sports games that people will forget that EA still puts out some of the best games every year. Last year, what did more gamers prefer? Another Tony Hawk game or EA’s .skate? Did gamers complain when they got the quantity meets quality Orange Box? What about Rock Band, the most comprehensive music game to date?

But even more recently and far more significantly was what EA showed off this year at E3. We all knew the insanely innovative Spore for the PC was on the way from them as well as The Sims 3–and yes, EA put out The Sims, and yes, EA will publish Spore. But it’s everything about them this year; Mirror’s Edge has the potential to be one of the most innovative first-person action games ever. Looking at Dead Space, yes, it’s a very mature looking game, but again, it’s aimed at the hardcore gamer looking for wicked thrills. Take a look at Valve’s Left 4 Dead, one of the most innovative team-based games announced in recent years, being published by EA.

Of course, we’re all aware that EA bought up BioWare, one of the best independent developers around. Many were afraid that this might cripple the vision and talent of the studio, but looking at the new Dragon Age: Origins, and the rest of EA’s line-up, you have to wonder why people would think like that.

I can guarantee you that many people will be sitting around, playing these games and having an absolute blast. But at the same time, they’re going to neglect that EA put these games out and they’re going to go back to what they know and bash the company, even after the release of such quality products as .skate, Boom Blox, Rock Band and The Orange Box, as well as one of the best E3 showings this year by any company in a long, long time.

http://www.endsights.com/?p=62

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

EA might have a few good games but overall they still suck

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Yea but htye are doing a lot better than other 3rd parties lately when it comes to creating new titles. I think with EA it's time to start smacking down on their sports lineup and start realizing that the other things are doing just fine.

Although with the Sports, some of the franchises seem to be advancing.

Make sure Rol sees this article.

He deletes EA lovers from his friends list

Does this mean I have to stop disliking Britney Spears too?

NEVER!

Around the Network

This article would've been better if they mentioned Mirror's Edge more, at least 10 more times.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Ive felt this way for about 6 months, about the time EA got sued by their people and then they got the new CEO things are pretty much turned around for them. For the most part EA has an amazing line up for the next 3 Quarters at least.

If theres a company that should be hated its Activision.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Bioware and pandemic.... some of my favorite developers, snatched up in one buyout. I'll hate EA forever.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I'm actually with the OP on this. EA seems to have changed their tune. They're putting out games like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Spore, etc.

I realize a lot of people harbor some bad feelings for them since their favorite developer was purchased by the company, but if EA doesn't compromise the quality of those devs' software, then I don't see it as a bad thing. In fact I see it as a strength - having the resources EA has at its disposal could be very good for developers that were purchased by EA.

EA is going to continue pumping out its cash cow games like Madden, etc - that's not going to change. But I think that with the revenue they're bringing in from all the sports games these days, they've been able to absord more developers and help them create better games. I mean, just take a look at Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Battlefield: Bad Company, heck even Army of Two. While some concepts they've brought out have been flawed, it's not the same old same old stuff that we were used to seeing from EA a while back. It seems they're starting to foster creativity and a better thought process when it comes to designing and creating video games, and that spells nothing but good news for us.

I agree that Activision/Blizzard is going to become the next public enemy #1. Once they start absorbing devs and making them start doing junk games is when it'll really come out into the light. Right now the company is a bit of an enigma since the merger just recently occured, but I almost guarentee that we'll start seeing nothing but junk coming out of the company soon enough (save Blizzard games).

Outside of the labor law violations most of the EA hate has been based on willful ignorance, cognitive dissonance or apocryphal tales that were too juicy to actually investigate with any diligence--after all, it was far more fun for far too many people to believe that EA was the gaming biz equivalent of the Galactic Empire (before them it was Acclaim and once, long ago in a galaxy far, far away it was Nintendo) or a sentient incarnation of Bubonic plague.

The only question I have now is: who gets to take their place in the stocks?