By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is worth more than Sony!

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSTKV00351520070625

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47PM EDT

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd zipped past Sony Corp. in market value on Monday and became one of Japan's top 10 issues for the first time ever as it elbowed the PlayStation maker out of its decade-long dominance in the game industry.

Nintendo's Wii has outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 game console by three to one in Japan and by more than two to one in the United States so far this year, according to game magazine publisher Enterbrain and research firm NPD.

Demand for its DS handheld game players also far outstripped that for Sony's PlayStation Portable. Shares in Nintendo were up 1.9 percent at 46,300 yen in early trade, boosting its market value to 6.56 trillion yen ($53 billion), while Sony fell 0.9 percent to 6,490 yen, or 6.51 trillion yen in market capitalization.

Around the Network

That's truly astounding. It was only a couple of days ago that they past Panasonic, and the article stated something like "They have a long way to go before they pass Sony...".

One of Japan's top 10 companies?? Videogames really are hitting the mainstream, and Nintendo is leading the way.

"...one of Japan's top 10 issues for the first time ever..."

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

GO NINTENDOMINATION!!!!!!!!! Wow. That was sooo...washimul like of me.

Ok, here is the next milestone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=awI8A85d1FM0&refer=japan

Nintendo, also the maker of DS handheld player, may exceed Sony in sales this year. Nintendo posted revenue of 966.5 billion yen in the year ended March 2007, and forecast 1.14 trillion yen this business year.

Sony reported 1.02 trillion yen in sales at the game business in the past fiscal year. The company didn't disclose a sales forecast for the unit. Sony plans to more than double its software lineup to more than 200 titles worldwide and increase the number of downloadable games this fiscal year to boost sales.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

Ok, here is the next milestone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=awI8A85d1FM0&refer=japan

Nintendo, also the maker of DS handheld player, may exceed Sony in sales this year. Nintendo posted revenue of 966.5 billion yen in the year ended March 2007, and forecast 1.14 trillion yen this business year.

Sony reported 1.02 trillion yen in sales at the game business in the past fiscal year. The company didn't disclose a sales forecast for the unit. Sony plans to more than double its software lineup to more than 200 titles worldwide and increase the number of downloadable games this fiscal year to boost sales.

Yeah of course they're gonna pass sony's gaming division... PS2 can only go so far towards total sales.

Then the next goal will be to pass Sony as a unit ;) Of course that will probably never happen - and if it does, with Nintendo staying at the same revenue->profit level, they may be #1 worldwide.. .(but like I say, it just won't happen...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Good for nintendo, they deserve to be rewarded for their hard work.

The question is what are they going to do with all that money. Purchase more game development studios (They already got Monolith), increased R&D for future consoles? Will we see incredible graphics and much improved waggle next round? Or might they branch off into other markets and products as well? 

There's no doubt that there'll be a lot of movement over at the Big N, I'm quite curious to see what direction it's in.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

New Love Hotels FTW!!!