By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft Touts DirectX 11

Microsoft Touts DirectX 11

By Kris Graft

July 22, 2008

It seems that DirectX 10 just launched recently (late 2006 with the release of Windows Vista), but at Seattle-based Gamefest 2008 on Tuesday, Microsoft was touting the latest addition to its API suite.

Microsoft said DX11 will introduce new shader technology "that lays the groundwork for the GPU to be used for more than just 3D graphics, so that developers can take advantage of the graphics card as a parallel processor."

But perhaps most importantly to consumers, Microsoft said that DX11 will be compatible with DX10 and DX10.1 hardware (as well as new DX11 hardware), so gamers won't have to toss current hardware to play newer games.

When Microsoft made the last Direct3D transition, DX10 was not compatible with DX9 hardware.

Microsoft also said DX11 will also handle multi-threaded resource handling to allow for the exploitation of multi-core machines, support for tessellation and full Vista support.

An exact release date for DX11 is to be determined.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/microsoft-touts-directx-11

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Microsoft sure knows how to piss of PC developers and gamers all over the world.

^ How can ''multi-threaded resource handling'' piss off anyone? Did you ever try playing Crysis and make use of all your processors? Tell me about bad coding.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

isnt that just the same as what nvidia are trying 2 do

wow direct x 11 this will be awesome

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Huhhhhhha?!
*Emphasis on the H*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

obieslut said:
isnt that just the same as what nvidia are trying 2 do

I thought they were different. Nvidia does hardware side, microsoft does software side?

I suspect that DirectX 11 is in response to (more) developers wanting to off load physics processing onto the GPU, and to (eventually) start performing some raytracing operations on the GPU to create a hybrid rasterizing-raytracing algorithm.

Direct X 11 is where GPUs become even more programable and they will move even further into the space occupied by the Cell CPU. xD

Tease.

Chrizum said:
Microsoft sure knows how to piss of PC developers and gamers all over the world.

Why because they are continuously innovating? Your statement makes no sense. Do PC manufacturers get mad when Intel releases a better chip?