By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Blue ray the future or digiatal distribution?

They are both the future. Blu-ray for the next 10 years, downloads will start to take hold in about 7 to 8 years.

Around the Network

I think people who currently buy DVD movies will eventually move on to buying Bluray movies. I think people who currently rent movies from Blockbuster/Hollywood Video, will move on to VOD.

Why would I want to have a movie on Bluray rather than purchasing it online? Because it is guaranteed to play in any of my Bluray players (currently only my PS3, but I imagine it'll become more mainstream later). If I download a movie for purchase on my PS3, can I play it on anything other than my PS3 or PSP? In fact, the PS3 movie service is the only service that I'm aware of that let's you download movies for keeps, and not just as a rental. If Microsoft started letting you download movies for purchase, would I be able to play that movie anywhere else? Or just on my XBox360?

disolitude said:

I'm not sure if digital distribution is the future just yet...but there are already many people like me that only download movies/songs and rarely rent/buy them form stores.

This means that bluray is already chasing a smaller market that DVD did backin 2001. Also, due to lack of HD televisions in 100% of homes and blurays somewhat high price point, it even has smaller potential market to conquer that DVD.

Conclusion: Physical media peaked with DVD's.

Its not often I get to agree with you, but this time we're on the same page. The only thing I can add is that if fiberoptics spread as quickly as is slated, within the next 5 years, a much larger percentage of digital distribution will take over the market.

I prefer physical media. I'm all for Blue ray(Blu-ray). Thanks Blu-ray, I now have 300+ HD-DVDs I bought for cheap. ^-^

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I have never bought a single MP3 in my life (only CDs to this day). The same will apply for video. I don't want to buy something that is just on my hard drive and can go easily. Plus, when will I have a few tera-bytes laying around to store the amount of Anime I purchase.

Also, Anime box art is one of the perks of purchasing disc based content.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

blu-ray is definately the future
digital distribution is the future future. it will take a while, but digital distribution will definately come.

I hate digital distribution

60% cuz i have 56K dial up

40% cuz i want a physical copy of a disc instead of having a HDD full of movies and music that i have to backup on a regular basis for fear of failure.

Plus at least with Cds i get a very high quality format (1411Kbit 44.1Khz PCM) and can choose with my ripping software what bitrate to make it (in my case 320kbit-max VBR MP3 for my computer and 160kbit-max vbr MP3 for my 512 MB MP3 player.)

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

there's room for both

One problem that digital distribution has, not every one grew up with computers like a lot of people on this forum (and many others) have. Many people have a hard time just checking their email, and you expect them to all of a sudden trust their computer enough to buy movies online?

how many people have hd moniters on their pc's? how many people have big enough hard drives to actually store blu ray quality movies? how many people have the bandwith speed to download a blu ray quality movie?

not saying digital distribution wont happen, its coming, but blue ray is here to stay for a while.