By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the Playstation 2 be discontinued?

The Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox, have all been discontinued, except for the Playstation 2. It refuses to die. When will "the most popular video game console in the world" ever join the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox, in the grave, to complete the death of the previous generation? The Playstation 2 is doing even better than the Playstation 3. Is it possible for the Playstation 2, to outlive the Playstation 3, like the Atari 2600, outlived the Atari 5200? I never saw why the Playstation 2 was so popular. Although I own one, it is one of my least played video game consoles. Maybe it's because its platformer games are too mediocre, I don't know. I only own a few games, per console, since over 95% of the video games out there, are not good. It's those stupid movie-games, and sports games that turn you off the most. The Playstation 2 is more identical to the Xbox, than it is to the Gamecube, so why was the Playstation 2 so popular, when the Xbox failed miserably in comparison? They both had Grand Theft Auto, and shared many other popular games. They both had a built in DVD player. The Xbox was more powerful than the Playstation 2, yet it was priced the same as the Playstation 2. How could the Playstation 2, sell more than twice as much as the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox, combined? Was it Sony that made the Playstation 2 a success? Because only 24 games, out of the over 1,000 available on the console, were actually made by Sony, that sold over one million copies, which is the exact same amount as on the Gamecube, yet, the Gamecube, was considered to be a failure. Maybe it was the third-party developers that made the Playstation 2 a success, instead of Sony itself. The Dreamcast, like the Gamecube, was $100 cheaper than the Playstation 2, and was better than the Playstation 2, graphically, in some ways, yet, was also considered to be a failure. Was it its awesome design that brought it to fame? If so, was it its original design, or its revised design? Did Sony advertise better? How could one console, sell over 120 million units? That's just amazing! If the Playstation 2 was such a success, than how come the Playstation 3 is failing so badly? It appears that every, third console, made by a company, becomes a failure... 

Sega:
1. Master System
2. Genesis
3: Saturn (failure)

Nintendo:
1. Nintendo
2. Super Nintendo
3. Nintendo 64 (failure)

Sony:
1. Playstation
2. Playstation 2
3. Playstation 3 (failure)

And once the first console fails, the following consoles, usually also fail. The Wii managed to pull itself from the grave, which is pretty remarkable, and it's killing the Xbox 360, and Playstation 3. But the Playstation 2 is still fighting, and refusing to die. There are many games, planned to be released, in the future, for the Playstation 2, which may keep the Playstation 2 alive, even further. So when will the Playstation 2 die? If the Playstation 3 dies, will it take the Playstation 2 down with it, or will it live on? Will it die next year, or within the next two years, or will it survive even longer? Well, what do you think?

Around the Network

Double post.

DC and GC better then PS2, DC really lol.

It took 11 years for PS1 to die, Ps2 is in its 8th year and is the second best selling console.

Well not until the PS3 can out sell it, thats for sure. And even then it will probably have 2 years left in it.

I'm with dododo on this one.

Around the Network

People are crazy if they want the PS2 to die right now just because PS3 is out!
We'll have to deal with the PS2 for at least 3 years, and don't forget that EA has always said that they want stop their support for the PS2 as son as they did with the PSOne (And I always taught that they supported the PSOne for too long!); and there's no doubt that there are many other developers/publishers that think like EA...

Now Loading... Please Wait!

I think it depends on how well the PS3 does. If the PS3 continues on its current trend, Sony will probably have to keep supporting the PS2 just to keep their entertainment division afloat, but if the PS3 ever picks up the PS2 will most likely be dropped much sooner.

when the PS3 becomes affordable 4 sony and when its start selling more than u will see the PS2 go out wish should be by 2010/2011