By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and upscaling.

DogWeed said:
TheRealMafoo said:
DogWeed said:
go to the display settings, uncheck 720p and 1080i.
remember if the game does not support 1080p it will render in 480p which = garbage.

gta and mgs benefit. at least i think so, you can tell a slight difference. and even if they dont, who cares, let it render in 1080 anyways

I am not sure I get this... if the GAME supports 1080p, it will use 1080p every time if you have 1080p selected (regardless of if you have 720p or 1080i selected.)

Selecting those two options will allow games that don't support 1080p to not be rendered in 480p.

Am I missing something?

i have them all selected, when i put in gta4 its 720p, when i put in mgs4 its 1080p. it depends on the game.

if you want to force it to render in 1080p u have to uncheck the 720p and 1080i settings. if these are unchecked, and you put in a game that supports 720p, and only 720p, ur ps3 will immediatly render it in 480p.

you cannot uncheck 480p, its the standard setting. by unchecking 720p you are telling the ps3 that you do not want it to render in 720p. i know its weird.

That is weird. That would mean the logic in a game, would have to consider 720p a more desirable resolution to render in then 1080p. Why would any game do this?

I can understand if you only had 720p selected, looked at the quality, and then only had 1080p selected, and compared it (on games like GTA where the native resolution is lower then 720).

What I don't get, is telling the game "Hey, I have 1080p and 720p", and a game that supports both picks 720p. In that case, the game should always pick 1080p. Are you sure it does not do this?

Around the Network
DogWeed said:
take dmc4 for example.

i uncheck 720p and 1080i because i want my gta4 to play in 1080p.
if i simply switch the discs without checking 720p again, dmc will play in 480p.
try it if you have it.

That's different. That a game that does not support 1080p. I mean if a game does, why would it ever not use it (meaning unchecking the others is pointless)

There's still no games in native 1080 right? I can't deny that Sony is not delivering on some promised here. They all look great though.

Leetgeek said:
There's still no games in native 1080 right? I can't deny that Sony is not delivering on some promised here. They all look great though.

There are a few. GT5:p Plays in sudo 1080 (1200x1080), and the replay is in full 1080 (1920x1080).

I think there are a few other games that are 1080.

Personally, if I was a game dev, I would never make a 1080p game. The resources that are needed to make it could be better utilized somewhere else. Also, unless you are on a 70"+ TV, most people can not see the difference between 720 and 1080 from there couch.

I always thought that native always made it look best [but that of course also might not be the case depending on your screen size]. Oh and for LeetGeek, am pretty sure GT5p was 1080p60 native. And I think Wardevil and RE5 are supposed to be 1080p native games [Wardevil is and exclusive while RE5 is cross platform].

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Wow, your right. I just tested it. Put GTA4 in when I had all option selected, and it played in 720p. Then I only selected 1080p, and it played at that resolution. I never thought it would do that.

I didn't notice any difference however. It might be because I have a higher end TV (Sony). better name brand TV's (Sony, Samsung, etc..) have better electronics in them for upscaling. With a lower quality TV, the PS3 probably does a better job.

Off Topic: This is why you should alway look at SD content in the store before you buy your HDTV. While most every HDTV looks great with HD content, some do a horrible job upscaling.