By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Maybe Nintendo’s Just Not Into You

Maybe Nintendo’s Just Not Into You

At the ripe old age of three, my mom changed the way I spent my free time forever by giving me a Nintendo Entertainment System. After graduating to the SNES and Nintendo 64, the allure of Nintendo completely escaped me as the launch of the Gamecube began at a time when the PlayStation 2 and Dreamcast were already in my home and the Xbox, and Master Chief, would soon be invading my living room. Maybe I had grown tired of the same characters being carted out each console cycle or perhaps I was just a traitor leaving for a newer, flashier product. Either way, I was done.

The Wii came along and, after more than a decade since my last home console purchase from the Big N, I bought the console that was small on horsepower but big on interactivity. That novelty soon wore off as it became more and more clear that Nintendo hadn’t missed me and didn’t want me back.

I cannot say the same for some of my gaming compatriots.

A large, vocal and rabid group of Nintendo fanboys has supported the company through thick and thin ever since they collected their first gold coin in Super Mario Bros. and shot their first duck in Duck Hunt. Through November 2006, these fanboys have had games targeted at them to hang their hats on and enjoy despite their slimming numbers and the Gamecube’s failure to gain traction with an audience outside the group.

For these fanboys, November 19, 2006 will be a date which will live in infamy.

The launch of the Wii signaled Nintendo’s admission that they had lost the battle for gaming supremacy with those who would identify themselves as gamers and their desire to conquer a new, larger group: everyone else. This desire would lead to Nintendo steering its focus away from the fanboys, although delivering core titles to them early on, to other groups such as the very young, very old and females.

Fanboys have staunchly defended the Wii. Whether they be run-of-the-mill fanboys on Internet message boards or those who would be counted as members of the gaming press, Nintendo fanboys have praised each and every core title from NIntendo for the Wii, granting them perfect scores, glowing reviews and passes on huge flaws and the fact that they all took steps backwards. They also managed to overlook first party titles not targeted at them such as Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Wii Play as afterthoughts. Those titles, and countless third party mini game collections, have been the titles that have made Nintendo the most money and have helped reach a larger audience then ever before, not Zelda, Metroid or even Mario.

Still, fanboys persisted. Claiming that E3 2008 would be the E3 in which Nintendo would deliver us a new crop of first party, core titles. This class was to be headed by the return of Kid Icarus. This drum was beat so loudly that it was hard to believe that core titles would not be at this year’s E3 press conference.

Then we all actually saw Nintendo’s E3 2008 press conference.

Animal Crossing and Wii Music were the big draws. Adults gyrating toward hip breakage and barely playing “music” were the sights and sounds we would be left with. All the while, Nintendo boasting about how they had reached so many more gamers and had expanded their market. In other words, Nintendo had moved on.

So, why can’t the Nintendo fanboys move on as easily as Nintedno has?

Nintendo has made a killing by getting Liv Tyler to play the DS and Matt Lauer to play Wii Fit. They have two grandmas and a Midwest housewife for every 30 year old former NES owner. Sure, they can tease about the teams behind Zelda and Mario working on new titles but Shigeru Miyamoto has recently brought us Nintendogs and Wii Fit. What’s to say that these teams are working on titles for fanboys? They could simply be creating the next big Nintendo casual game and peripheral.

Nintendo fanboys, please listen closely. They appreciated you for a long time but the greener pastures of mainstream acceptance and piles and piles of money have changed the Nintendo you know and love. You may just have to accept that maybe Nintendo’s just not that into you anymore.

http://www.platformnation.com/2008/07/20/maybe-nintendo%E2%80%99s-just-not-into-you/

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Wow.

That is just stupid. Thank you for posting the whole thing so I don't have to go over there and get hits for their web site.

It's just not true. Nintendo is releasing as many if not more "Core" games as they ever have.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

well nintendo has released alot of core games so far in wiis life,i didnt expect that to continue on,games take a while to make

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

No.

Just no.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I was liking it til I read this:

Those titles, and countless third party mini game collections, have been the titles that have made Nintendo the most money and have helped reach a larger audience then ever before, not Zelda, Metroid or even Mario.

And it's just simply not true haha. Especially the Mario part haha. It's the most successful franchise ever.

Around the Network

Bah... NPD numbers came out 4 days ago... the whiners are getting late with their complaints.

Nintendo is just holding back to see if 3rd parties bite. They did this with the DS, and look how well that worked. That handheld snagged the biggest RPG series in Japan.

This is why Nintendo has just a handful of games until the end of the year. This will help third party games stand out. Those that see their games are selling well will give greater support to the system. Then Nintendo will move back in with core games, as they did with the DS (see the remake of the first Fire Emblem game). But the DS still has plenty of core games from 3rd-parties as well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Oh yeah. Move on. Avoid that mainstream crap. Let`s all play spiritually enriching experiences like Halo. Nintendo is the last stronghold for true (retro) gamers. Or maybe I should graduate to FPS and sports games.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

The wii's been out 19 months+/-

We've had 8-10 CORE million sellers from Nintendo (depending what you consider core). I'm pretty sure Microsoft (8 since launch) and Sony (6 in the same time as Wii) have not accomplished that.

And that's just million sellers.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

-_-
That's all I'm saying.