By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why thinking of games as "casual" is a mistake

noname2200 said:
Onyxmeth said:

Can Wii Music be called a "casual" game at least? I don't believe there's any other way to play it except casually.

Possibly, but first I'll have to ask what the definition of "casual" is. I've never gotten the same answer from any three people, or from the same person three years later, which is reason #2398 I think trying to create a distinction is meaningless and silly. I'll agree with the thread title though: make your game a quality one, but don't bother trying to target the "casual" and "hardcore" demographics, as that's like trying to grasp fog.

I don't really believe in the term casual, and that's why I put it in quotes. I do think that Wii Music could fit into anyone's definition of casual though, based on our current knowledge of the game.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

No such thing as Casual gamers.
Nintendo said it.
EA finally admitted it.
And this bullshit will stop eventually.

There are only gamers.

These new "casual" games are really games that fall into genres that were never given the spotlight.
Puzzle and party games and the like have always been around.
In fact,simple party games were the first games before they were sidelined as time went on.
This is just a revival of these genres at the retail level and this is what caught developers who were still stuck in the hardcore mentality off-guard.

To remove blame from themselves they called it a casual-boom that would fade as soon as it sprouted.
Note there never was a casual boom as MS claims.Ask Microsoft why since 2000 they had a conference every year to create games to attract these "casual" gamers who were playing freeware flash games instead of retail.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Onyxmeth said:
noname2200 said:
Onyxmeth said:

I don't really believe in the term casual, and that's why I put it in quotes. I do think that Wii Music could fit into anyone's definition of casual though, based on our current knowledge of the game.

Fair enough. I'll admit that Wii Music looks none too impressive from where I'm standing, and many of the hands-on agree, but time will tell. Personally, this may be the first Miyamoto title in a long while that I'm not all that interested in.

@bored4life: preach it brother!