By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is why the PS3 needs to win this gen

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/700/700186/vid_2030516.html

If the Wii wins designers wont be able to make truly spectular visually stunning games using techniques and technologies that the heavenly sword devs are. Things like what they are doing will make it so that you cant truly be taken in by the characters and make you feel right in the action.

I know im going to be flamed in every way for this but seriously think about it, does any Wii games other then maybe Zelda or Metroid really bring you into the action, or make you envision yourself as the character? I know the SNES and N64 did but I've played a lot of GC games, none really pulled me in (starfox kinda did). 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

If Zelda, Metroid and Star fox pulled you in I'm guessing that kind of contradicts yourself, Graphics aren’t the factor for them.

And if those games can pull you in other games can too, ever played Final Fantasy?

ssj12 said:

If the Wii wins designers wont be able to make truly spectular visually stunning games using techniques and technologies that the heavenly sword devs are. Things like what they are doing will make it so that you cant truly be taken in by the characters and make you feel right in the action.

I know im going to be flamed in every way for this but seriously think about it, does any Wii games other then maybe Zelda or Metroid really bring you into the action, or make you envision yourself as the character? I know the SNES and N64 did but I've played a lot of GC games, none really pulled me in (starfox kinda did).

Personally, as a long-time gamer, I really could care less about games like Heavenly Sword, meaning care less about huge cinematic graphics-flouting games.  These types of games have been done over and over in the last two generations (plus now portables as well) and I didn't care too much about them then, either.  I'm looking for new experiences.

Here is a great example.  My favorite PS2 game?  The Adventures of Cookie & Cream.  Try it out; it's different from any other game I know of and a blast to play.  I enjoyed EyeToy games quite a bit (even though the camera was quite limited) as well.

I'm not saying I won't consider such games, just that they are rather ho-hum at this point in time.  Yay, another hack-and-slash or FPS with virtually identical controls but prettier graphics.  Yawn.

But don't worry; these types of games will always be around.  There is a market for cutting-edge graphics and these kinds of games sell well.  Either PS3, 360 or both will make it through this generation providing many games of this type that appeal to you, and some sort of successor to one or both will eventually come with even better graphics.  So, bottom line, don't worry about it, enjoy the games you know you like, maybe even try the ones you think you don't; you may be surprised at how a different experience can be actually fun once you get into it.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

ssj12 said:

Things like what they are doing will make it so that you cant truly be taken in by the characters and make you feel right in the action

So, by your definition, all games not on the PS3 are suddenly inferior somehow? Were there no PS2 games that were immersive and made 'you feel right in the action?' Were there no PS games that similarly did this in the generation before that? Or 3DO? Or SNES? Or NES? Or Atari 2600? 

Dryden said:
ssj12 said:

Things like what they are doing will make it so that you cant truly be taken in by the characters and make you feel right in the action

So, by your definition, all games not on the PS3 are suddenly inferior somehow? Were there no PS2 games that were immersive and made 'you feel right in the action?' Were there no PS games that similarly did this in the generation before that? Or 3DO? Or SNES? Or NES? Or Atari 2600?

Snes - StarFox, Super Mario RPG

Nes - Final Fantasy (got to love an Omish God)

N64 - GoldenEye, StarFox

PS1 - Final Fantasy 7, Cool Boarders Franchise (why was this canned? it was the greatest snowboarding series)

PS2 - Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII

Atari - Pong

Sega Genesis w/ CD add-on - Sonic CD (best Sonic game ever made)

Dreamcast - umm .... i forget what it was.. but it was one of the most purchased titles.

3DO - the was this one racing game... forget what it was called.

I've owns over 20 consoles so.. yea.. hard to remember all of them.

Back in each of their times these games were mostly top of the line. And I've hated all Zelda games after Majora's Mask. They lost their touch. Just like Super Mario RPG was my favorites due to each character actually having a personality otherwise what is mario? just a plummer who jumps on his enemies' head making coins pop out of their rears.

I believe that gaming needs to be pushed towards making things as realistic and immersive. Thats why I hate that they banned ManHunt 2. It was pretty realistic for the tech it was released on. Hopefully rockstar puts it on PC.

I'm saying the Wii is destroying the consept of immersive gameplay. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

Well, personally, the original Half Life pulls me in more than any game I've played in the last 3-4 years, and it was released well before the Playstation 2. So.. yes, games can pull me in without graphics.

SSJ, it's cool that you care a lot about graphics, and I have no problem with your personal preferences. But really, honestly -- these aren't everyone's preferences. We are NOT just saying that because we don't own a PS3 and we're oh so jealous (well, someone in the world probably is jealous, just as some are jealous of Wii owners, but I doubt there are many, and I know I'm not one of them, as my PC can basically do anything a PS3 can, if not more). I know my professional gaming friends -- who still play CS and Starcraft -- aren't all that concerned with graphics, either.

So again, I don't mind your personal preferences. If you care a lot about graphics, then please, enjoy your graphically intense games. I'm going to stick to my Wii, my Half Life, my Star Craft, and my World of Warcraft, and I'd appreciate it if you recognized that a lot of us don't share your views.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I'm saying the Wii is destroying the consept of immersive gameplay

It can't be destroying it, can it? I mean, it's as immersive as it was last generation, at least. Saying that the Wii is as immersive as the PS2 doesn't make it "destroy immersive gameplay," although you could say it's not progressing it. 

And even that comment, I would argue. Look at the hub bub over Manhunt 2: the Wii version was much more aggressively attacked precisely because it was too immersive

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ssj12 said:

I believe that gaming needs to be pushed towards making things as realistic and immersive. Thats why I hate that they banned ManHunt 2. It was pretty realistic for the tech it was released on. Hopefully rockstar puts it on PC.

I'm saying the Wii is destroying the consept of immersive gameplay.

So Manhunt 2, which is allegedly realistic and immersive, so much so, in fact, that it got slapped with an AO rating, banned and temporarily canned for the Wii, has fallen by the wayside because the Wii is destroying the concepts of immersive gameplay? 

WTF?

9 out of 10 Wii owners would tell you that Wii Sports, for example, is more immersive than anything before it. Neither Nintendo nor the Wii are respsonsible for what third parties publish. It's not Ninty's fault Rockstar sent a horror/splatter fest of senseless violence to the ESRB, and the ESRB said, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

I don't follow.

In my humble opinion, motion controls advance the immersion level much more than hi-def graphics do. And don't worry, graphics will continue to improve, just maybe not at quite the rate we're seeing right now.

Did someone say Cool Boarders? It was awesome on dreamcast.

{Sarcasm begin} They should bring that back from the dead.  PS3 Zombie Cool Boarders could feature 300 onscreen Undead X-Snow Athletes.  Normal Mapping makes it so much more immersive.  Motion controls suck, unless they are Six Axis Controls.   {end sarcasm}  Oh wait, that is a horriible idea.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.