By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP 3.5 firmware update allows game to hit 333 MHz

Darc Requiem said:
davygee said:

I'm surprised that anyone would defend a company for taking shortcuts in product design.

So are you against Nintendo for having no DVD player in their console, no hard drive and graphics that are subpar compared to the other consoles of this generation to make the console cheaper?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Darc Requiem said:
davygee said:

I'm surprised that anyone would defend a company for taking shortcuts in product design.

So are you against Nintendo for having no DVD player in their console, no hard drive and graphics that are subpar compared to the other consoles of this generation to make the console cheaper?

Lacking a DVD player when DVD players are so cheap isn't a shortcut, its a sensible strategy. And a DVD player has no bearing on game play as it is a supplementary feature, thus it is moot to compare such a point to the issue of lowering the graphical potential of a console.

Darc Requiem said:

Sony restricted the clock speed to 222mhz and in addition they did not allow streaming from the UMD drive. The UMD drive eats more power than the CPU. Having developers use the PSP at full clock and stream data directly from the UMD drive would dramatically reduced the systems battery life. 

Has there been any official word from Sony that they restricted the speed due to battery life?

Anyway, developers were not restricted from streaming from the UMD.  Capcom used streaming for Monster Hunter Portable.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, even if it does eat a little more battery life, that doesn't create a problem for me.  I've always found the PSP's battery life pretty goodto be honest.  I've always managed to get between 4-7 hours of gaming on a charge and that is fine for me.

This restriction removal is all positive in my books.  We will get to see bigger, better, faster and smoother games from now on in.  Although I wonder what it will do for previous games. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Gballzack said:
While its impressive to see a console that can increase its capabilities over time there is just something about having to download firmware to make your console do what arguably should be expected out of the box that makes me uneasy. I guess its just being dependent on an external source to utilize your purchased hardware at its ideal capacity that bugs me, but then again I've always liked consoles because I saw them as being finite and reliable, self contained. Anyone else share this stance or am I the odd one out here?

That means u gonna hate your Wii too.

Silver_Z said:
Gballzack said:
While its impressive to see a console that can increase its capabilities over time there is just something about having to download firmware to make your console do what arguably should be expected out of the box that makes me uneasy. I guess its just being dependent on an external source to utilize your purchased hardware at its ideal capacity that bugs me, but then again I've always liked consoles because I saw them as being finite and reliable, self contained. Anyone else share this stance or am I the odd one out here?

That means u gonna hate your Wii too.

How so? The Virtual Console isn't required nor does it enhance game play or content with GC or Wii games. The Wii Channels are the same as they are also supplementary features that are not needed for GC or Wii games. None of the downloads, updates or firmware for the Wii affect or are necessary to game play they only add suplementary features to the console itself, not the games. The PSP firmware directly applies to how the console plays games and functions as a game playing machine. The Wii's firmware is only for supplementary features irrelevant to the console's primary function of gameplay.

Perhaps future firmware updates will be needed for expansions of online play or similar online gameplay features for the Wii, but since online play is an extraneous element beyond the console and game disc itself, its a moot point to consider such firmware an intrusion or compensation for the Console's inability to perform its primary function of playing games.

Around the Network

I don't own a PSP, but I would be really annoyed if I bought something and found out later that it wasn't working at 100%. I'd feel lied to, and I'd want to know why I wasn't told the system operates at whatever percent of capacity upon purchase.