By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much does is cost to make a video game?

memory2zack said:
twesterm said:
Don't always take what the wiki tells you as fact.

It uses sources, so it´s quite reliable.

I was saying that as a general rule, I didn't read the wiki.  Even with that, who says the sources are reliable?  The bad thing about the wiki is that anyone can post whatever they want in it. 

So yes, they may have a source but if it's from someone's blog or some untrusted place (again, I don't know where it's sourced, just talking in general) that really isn't saying much.  The wiki is a good place to start for research or useful for really quick small things but in general it's a good rule of thumb to take most things you read on it with a grain of salt.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
memory2zack said:
twesterm said:
Don't always take what the wiki tells you as fact.

It uses sources, so it´s quite reliable.

I was saying that as a general rule, I didn't read the wiki.  Even with that, who says the sources are reliable?  The bad thing about the wiki is that anyone can post whatever they want in it. 

So yes, they may have a source but if it's from someone's blog or some untrusted place (again, I don't know where it's sourced, just talking in general) that really isn't saying much.  The wiki is a good place to start for research or useful for really quick small things but in general it's a good rule of thumb to take most things you read on it with a grain of salt.

I think the sources on wiki are pretty good, I tried updating wikipedia a couple months ago about the million seller list for games and I put all the games that sold over a million for the PS3 on wikipedia and they kept removing it, they said VG Chartz is not a reliable source, so they must need some pretty good sources then if they don't allow VG Chartz

Gilgamesh said:

I was just wondering this because I was on Wikipedia and it said that the budget for Final Fantasy VII was $45 million, that seems like alot of money, so what I wanted to know is if Final Fantasy VII was just really expensive to make back then or was that normal?

And do you know what the cost of any other games are (I just like numbers), and what does the average game cost to make today, and or a AAA game (like Metal gear solid 4 or Final Fantasy XIII).

Thanks

Edit: Damn typo

There is nothing wrong with 45 million dollar budget on this game because it is expected to sell 5 to 10 million units. The company recives half of w/e a game sells for, so if its 60 bucks it sqaure will recive 30. 5 000 000 X 30 = 150 000 000.