By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official June NPD Thread (for the 5 weeks ending 7/5, data in ~6 hours)

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Good bump for PS3, MGS4 + the 80GB bundle did considerably help sales for the month. It is the first month they significantly outsold the 360 in the US, but to catch up they'll still have a long way to go. So it will be interesting next month to see if it was a 1 month bump or that sales stay higher for at least a little longer.

GTA IV being out of the top 10 already is quite shocking actually. Especially the 360 version still sold almost 900k last month and must have dropped below 260k for this month. I would have expected it to stay in the top 10 a little longer and with NCAA releasing in July and Madden in August I don't see the title reappearing in the top 10 again.

Lego Indiana Jones did great, across all platform it must be easily over 1M. And the Wii version selling the most right out of the gate, is that a first for a multiplatform title?

Hardware wise I'm most impressed by PS3 and DS, I didn't expect such a big increase for PS3 and it appears Nintendo did a great job marketing the DS. Also PSP is surprisingly high, although June might be a great month for handheld systems at the start of the summer season. Wii of course does great, but it is expected by now. Microsoft might have been partly damaged by the additional demand for the PS3 as well as the rumors of a price cut.

All in all another great month for the industry, 1.69 billion in revenue for June is incredible.

kamil said:
MGS4 raised PS3 sales in UK (for launch week) by only 7% acording to ChartTrack (which covers 90% of UK market). So I really doubt that US growth is due to MGS4 release. 80GB bundle did it not the game itself.

Except MGS4 launch increased sales in Japan by 600%+.

America is somewhere in between the two extremes, because it was already in between the two extremes in hardware sales (Japan was terrible, Europe already strong). An increase of ~75% for the game and bundle seems about right.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

On second thought, somewhat is an understatement for the PSP.  Last month it was at 182.3k for a 4 week month is 45.5k per week.  This month is 5 weeks 337.4k, so that is 67.5k per week.  That is a 48% increase over the last month is it not?

usyk said:
Said Frazier, "As expected, Metal Gear Solid 4 realized significant retail sales and drove PS3 hardware acquisition. While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

This means almost 250k budles and 1 mln Mgs4 were sold, its undertracked here.

so what is the VGC chart figure for just US for MGS4?I just wanna compare to NPD

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
SWA_JM_Obi-Wan said:
Man this MS clearence sale better work or things are going to get really ugly around here really fast.

Get ugly?  You mean "stay ugly" right?

It can get worse, you know.

Anyhow, if there were 250 or so bundles, then the hardware will drop badly in the next month, just like in Japan.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

I think July NPD will also show similar results for PS3 because of 80gb shipments.

DMeisterJ said:
SWA_JM_Obi-Wan said:
Man this MS clearence sale better work or things are going to get really ugly around here really fast.

Get ugly?  You mean "stay ugly" right?

Youre right, I correct myself........Get Uglier. I won't want to even go near a thread that Starcraft has posted in if this doesn't work for MS.

shanbcn said:
I think July NPD will also show similar results for PS3 because of 80gb shipments.

yea the bundles according to my best buy will get here begining of next week.do you think it was on purpose to counter the MS 360 clearence?

dammmm..PS3 and MGS4 did a great job
and dam, 405.5k units sold (in a month) is amazing for a $400 console

CREDIT TO KONAMI AND SONY