By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official June NPD Thread (for the 5 weeks ending 7/5, data in ~6 hours)

VGC overtracked PS3 last month rather significantly, didn't it? So much so that there as a WTF moment? And then this month the number was under by quite a bit? Interesting... Regardless, that's a solid PS3 number for the middle of the summer without a doubt.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I still think its way undertracked in others. This game deserve all the good sales.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

snake! Snake! SNAKE!!!!!!!

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

kn said:
VGC overtracked PS3 last month rather significantly, didn't it? So much so that there as a WTF moment? And then this month the number was under by quite a bit? Interesting... Regardless, that's a solid PS3 number for the middle of the summer without a doubt.

no compared with npd ps3 was undertracked last month too and s60 was overtracked both months.

Who would have thought it? Snake, not Niko Belic, convinced the masses to purchase a PlayStation 3. And deservedly so, MGS4 is probably the best game I have ever played to date no lie.

Exclusives deliver. Imagine FF13 being PS3 exclusive, the impact it would have had on hardware sales - but Sony will have to share that with Microsoft sadly for them. I hope 1st party titles like Motorstorm, Resistance and KillZone 2 can get enough marketing and become franchise flagships for the PS3. Sony need that to happen, they can't rely on 3rd party anymore, the magic needs to be cooked internally.

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
kn said:

No it wasn't.

I know people hate hearing it but Wii> PS3 + 360 haha

Wii + DS= godliness

I think that's the most important thing to take out of this. Why? Just a normal month for them haha.

But in all seriousness those 360 numbers are not very inviting.

Griffin said:
superchunk said:
Griffin said:
FishyJoe said:

According to Bloomberg, over 10.9 million Wiis LTD in US. If you add in Canada and the rest of the Americas, VGC almost sounds like it's tracking on the low side comparatively. I've underlined comparatively because I'm not saying VGC is under tracking, only that it may be tracking differently on the low side when you compare.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aK64sYWSB1Rw&refer=asia

How do you get that, according to this site we have the wii at 12.55mil for the last week in june, with the US at 10.9 that puts 1.6 for Canada, and thats well above 10%.  If anything it appears we are over tracking.

ummm, your forgeting about all those little countries below the US.

10.9 + 1.1 = 12m

Then about 500k for the rest of NA. Sure, that's reasonable.

You are out of your mind if you think there are 500k sales of the wii for central and south America, and does Nintendo even ship wii's to South America, i think the suppliers buy them from the US and ship them down south.

You are aware that south America isn't a part of North America, right?

As for the numbers, look at this.

NA population: 523M

US population: 304M

Canada population: 33M

Rest population: 186M

Are you telling me that the rest 186M people, couldn't have bought 500.000 Wiis, when a less than 1/5 population bought more than twice as much?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

As a MS fanboy, the price cut couldn't come any sooner. August we start to dominate.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

It also seems like the GOW bundle helped PSP sales somewhat.