By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why's everyone moaning about sony's lack of third party support?

most people are suddenly saying that sony is losing third party support, which is complete nonsense. what they're losing is exclusivity. they're still getting all the games. keep that clear in your minds, people.

sony is not pulling a nintendo 64 and ignoring third party games. they're just not paying for exclusives. that's all. they're still getting all the games.

remember that: sony is still getting the third party games. its just that microsoft is also getting em now. that's the only difference.

Around the Network

Because people like to use their console not only to play games, but as some sort of status symbol.

"See, I COULD play this game if I wanted to but you can't on your 360!"

its juvinile I know, but welcome to the internet.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
CrashMan said:
Because people like to use their console not only to play games, but as some sort of status symbol.

"See, I COULD play this game if I wanted to but you can't on your 360!"

its juvinile I know, but welcome to the internet.

This guy's got it.

what a sad de-evolution of gaming if that's true.

WE'RE STILL GETTING THE GAMES! stop complaining. jesus christ. exclusives don't matter. in fact, you should be happy that more people get to play great games.

grow up, people.

bugrimmar said:

most people are suddenly saying that sony is losing third party support, which is complete nonsense. what they're losing is exclusivity. they're still getting all the games. keep that clear in your minds, people.

sony is not pulling a nintendo 64 and ignoring third party games. they're just not paying for exclusives. that's all. they're still getting all the games.

remember that: sony is still getting the third party games. its just that microsoft is also getting em now. that's the only difference.

One thing to consider is a lot of gamers remember what it was like to own a Playstation or PS2 from (roughly) 1996 to 2005 ...

When you go from a point in time where 90% of third party titles will be released on your system, with at least half of those being exclusive, to a point in time where (roughly) half of third party titles will be released on your system with almost all of those being multiplatform you're going to notice how much weaker the support from third parties is.

Around the Network

it doesn't matter. we're still getting the best games. can you name any big name third party games that didn't come to playstation 3 thus far?

so what if microsoft is getting it also? people should be happy about that.

bugrimmar said:
it doesn't matter. we're still getting the best games. can you name any big name third party games that didn't come to playstation 3 thus far?

Resident Evil 4 if you dont have BC. ;)

Crashman said it best. Cant top that.

what do you mean? RE4 came out on ps2. (i didn't get the joke lol) and in case some people think RE5 is xbox360 exclusive coz they saw it featured in the microsoft conference at e3, RE5 IS COMING TO PS3 AT THE SAME TIME.

yeah but if crashman is correct, then we've all taken a giant step backward in gaming.

geez.

bugrimmar said:

Not everyone will agree what a "Big Game" is ...

Beyond that, many people (used to) love their Playstation/PS2 because there was always a worthwhile game (for them) being released in a month; many of these games were not "Big Games" but represented the bulk of content that these gamers played.

The greatest concern with a lack of exclusivity of titles does not lie with the sorts of complaints that you usually hear. The thing that people should REALLY worry about is that multi-platform releases lead to a slew of issues for those games. The easiest to point out is the issue of development resources being split between several platforms (meaning either a bigger budget or a lower-quality offering).

As a side-effect of the budget issues, the games also tend to be low on the originality and creativity sides, because the developers have a much bigger sum to earn back from their game and thus don't want to take a risk and make the game stand out from the rest (potentially resulting in lost sales if the public doesn't take to it). Meaning that multi-platform releases tend to feel very same-y, familiar, and safe. Often playable, sometimes fun, but nothing we haven't seen before a dozen times at least.

An over-saturation of unoriginal games is not necessarily an issue for a system as long as there are a few stand-out titles that really draw people in for their uniqueness and reassure them that the platform is not heading down the path of mediocrity. But of course, if everything goes non-exclusive, the odds of a title fitting that bill grow smaller and smaller. When the market gets bad enough that there are no creative titles at all on the horizon, there comes a risk of a market crash due to waning interest of consumers at large who get tired of buying rehashes of the exact same games.

That, not the juvenile "my system has more games than your system" argument, is why consumers should be wary of non-exclusivity.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.