By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will be first in Japan PS3 hits 1m or Wii hits 3m?

I say Wii hits 3m in August and PS3 hits 1m in late July. But it is a toss up.

Around the Network

ill say PS3 but it will be close

Wii - 2.77 million, needs 230,000
PS3 - .97 million, needs 30,000

PS3 should, but it may happen in the same week. If Wii maintains 80,000 a week and PS3 maintains 10k a week, they cross together.

But, FolksSouls just released in Japan, which should receive a bigger bump in hardware than NGS. If they can get 15k for 2 weeks straight, it should cross the 1 million mark a week sooner.

At most it will take Nintendo 4 Weeks to cross 3 Million in Japan ...
At the earliest it will take Sony 4 Weeks to cross 1 Million units in Japan ...

According to IGN on June 30 Dragon Quest Swords is released for the Wii and I wouldn't be too surprised to see Nintendo ship 100,000+ consoles that week to Japan.

on yeah dragon quest swords. wouldnt be surprised to see 200000+ in sales dat week

Around the Network

PS3, but anyway, the fact that Wii now has 3-1, and has a free path to beat the ps3 until probably April 08 ( FFXIII) is pretty incredible.

Originally thought the same week - but with DQ:S out in a week - Wii may hit a week earlier. Other same week - in 4 weeks time.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Wii will get there in no time (3 weeks).

PS3 will get a bump once or twice but still won't be enough.

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Media Create paints a bleaker picture for Sony than this site does, while the Wii figures remain similar. I'd bet Wii passes 3 million first.

Likely Wii will pass slightly faster than PS3

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)