By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton Opens Up

http://www.edge-online.com/news/tretton-opens-up

Speaking to an intimate gathering of media this morning, SCEA boss Jack Tretton opened up about PlayStation, and how the brand has taken a few wrong turns in the past.,

During the presentation, attended by Edge, Tretton admitted that Sony “has had a weakness” in how the company organized its different hardware and software engineers.

“We have some great engineers working on software and hardware. But we’ve had situations in the past where the hardware guys just presented their work to the software guys, and where the two just didn’t meet up enough. It’s been a learning curve.”

He said that this problem had been identified prior to PS3’s development, but that the technical advances of PS3 out-paced improved internal communications.

Tretton also said that Sony “showed a lot of naivete” when the company began work on Home, and when it showed the product prematurely to the media.

He added that the internal development of Home had been hampered by a lack of understanding of what exactly the company was developing, “We had to figure out that this wasn’t just a piece of software, and not just a service, but something that needed a specific team, including hardware expertise,” he said.

He added that he would not release Home until it was completely ready.

Partly, he said, the problems of the past were the cost of doing business with someone as driven as Ken Kutaragi. “There was just no stopping him,” Tretton said. “When he wanted something to happen, it happened. It’s very exciting but it did leave us open and vulnerable to criticism.”

Tretton talked plenty about the positives of PlayStation 3, including the company’s video download system, which went live this week. He was unapologetic, for example, about the lack of backwards compatibility hardware in PS3, explaining the company’s financial rationale behind that decision.

He was also scathing about Microsoft and Nintendo’s avatar-based online communities. “What they’re doing is very simplified. It might be enough for some people, but we won’t reverse our approach.”

He was also open about his own position, saying that it often affected him personally to see some of the criticism he, and Sony, faces in the press, even on blogs and forums. “I’m not going to pretend I don’t read this stuff, or that it doesn’t affect me. It does,” he said.

Asked about a hard-drive version of PSP, he said it was something he had considered, but was still working on whether or not it would release alongside the current model “or whether it might be an evolution”. He added that he had nothing “to pull out of my back pocket right now” but indicated that it would be a likely release in the future.

Full transcript of the interview coming tomorrow.

By Colin Campbell

July 16, 2008

Around the Network

Seems like a surprisingly honest and real take from Tretton. Very surprising to see any kind of criticism of Ken Kutaragi. Glad to see they are sticking to their vision of Home and not Wii-fying it like MS.

This just confirms the speculation that Kutaragi had too much control over the Playstation division without enough advisers telling him to chill out.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I've always liked Tretton.

I'm more of a David Reeves man, myself. But I feel that they both do their jobs very well.

Around the Network

So what did he say about no backwards compatibility for ps3? they just don't care about it because the ps2 is so cheap or what? personally I don't want 10 consoles sitting around connected to my tv.

Tretton oddly reminds me of Peter Parker in a good way. He presentd better than last year

Why are we barely hearing about this guy? He's one of the most honest people working at Sony!

When I watched the E3 conference he seemed much better than last year. Hopefully it will only get better.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

My respect for Tretton has just increased.

Tretton = 9/10!

4 ≈ One