By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are there any differences between the 40GB and the 80GB besides BC?

Just like the title says.

I want to buy a PS3 (maybe I will in January) and Sony´s announcement of having the 40GB with twice the HDD made me happy, since I don´t care about BC.

Now, is there any other differences between the 2 models?

Because, if there isn´t, this is great news to me.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Around the Network

Nobody knows?

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Yeah like is there a difference in the number of usb ports? Memory card readers (they have those right?))

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I don't think there's a difference.

starcraft said:
Yeah like is there a difference in the number of usb ports? Memory card readers (they have those right?))

I believe memory card readers have been out since the launch 60gb. Probably 2 usb ports like the 40gb has right now, which is the only other difference from the 80gb.

Around the Network

The number of usb ports and memory card units.

Ok. Thanks windbane. Good for me. I don´t need more than 2 USB ports.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

If the 40G is being phased out, you might be able to buy one for much cheaper soon, and then buy a seperate hard-drive bigger than 80G and still be cheaper than $400.

I'd wait until you can fins a reduced 40G

Actually you live in Brazil, do they have the same models there as in N.America or do they use PAL?

PS3 hasn't been launched in Brazil, so I'd guess the imports there are NA consoles.

Basically the difference is 80Gb has BC, 2 extra USB ports, and 3 extra memory card ports.

40Gb has 65nm Cell Processor compared to the 90nm in the 80Gb. This basically means the 40Gb draws less power and runs cooler than the 80Gb, which could be a benefit if you're in Brazil. Due to less cooling requirements 40Gb is also lighter than 80Gb.

Feature: 20 GB
(NTSC)[46]
40 GB
(PAL, NTSC)[47]
60 GB
(NTSC)[46]
60 GB
(PAL)[46]
80 GB
(NTSC)[46]
80 GB
(NTSC)[citation needed]
Colors Piano Black Piano Black
Ceramic White (Asia and Japan only)
Satin Silver (Asia and Japan only)[48]
Gun-Metal Gray (MGS4 Bundle)[49]
Piano Black Piano Black Piano Black Piano Black
USB 2.0 ports 4 2 4 4 4 2
802.11 b/g Wi-Fi No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Flash card readers No No Yes Yes Yes No
Chrome trim No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
SACD support[50] Yes No Yes Yes Yes No
PS2 compatibility Yes
Hardware (Emotion Engine)
No Yes
Hardware (Emotion Engine)
Yes
Software (emulation)
Yes
Software (emulation)
No
First available November 2006 October 2007 November 2006 March 2007 August 2007 September 2008
In production No[51] Yes No No Yes Not Yet
All models include: Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive, HDMI 1.3a,[52] Bluetooth 2.0,
Gigabit Ethernet, PlayStation backward compatibility[53] through software emulation[54] and a glossy finish[55]