By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 80Gb (non BC) PS3 & Platinum titles confirmed for PAL

Sony Australia confirm 80GB PS3 SKU and Platinum titles for Oz

Local details for some of the big announcements from this morning's press conference.

Earlier this morning it was announced at the E3 Business and Media Summit in Los Angeles that Sony would be phasing out the current lower-end 40GB PlayStation 3 SKU and replacing it with an 80GB SKU in the US.

A representative for Sony Computer Entertainment Australia confirmed to GameSpot AU that the new SKU is planned for Australia, but "We're awaiting on timing and pricing". While no date was given for the announcement, we were told to expect it soon. The spokesperson also informed us that Sony will be launching a PlayStation 3 Platinum range for best-selling titles. The Platinum catalogue is equivalent to the Greatest Hits line-up in the US. No details were given on when the games would be re-released under the Platinum banner, or at the cheaper price, but Sony expects to outline it's plans for it alongside the 80GB PS3 SKU announcement.

The other offshoot from Sony's press conference concerned the PlayStation Video Store coming down under. Although Sony couldn't commit to a date, the spokesperson did confirm that the store will eventually make it to Australia, but "probably not this year, due to legal wrangling".

Later this month, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia will be hosting it's next PlayStation Australia Update & Software Event (PAUSE) event, so it's possible that the they will announce further details there. Stay tuned!

Link

80Gb is not unexpected seeing as they are phasing out 40Gb HDDs, but I wasn't so sure PAL would get Platinum titles as soon as NA due to the PS3 launching four months later in that region.

Around the Network

I hope the UK gets stuff faster than australia

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

what about the UK? will we get the new video store aswell?

Well thats good to know.

hmm -- good to know SONY cares somewhat about us in Australia... its a pity though that they haven't released the video store with limited content yet. I mean SONY does own its own movie studio -- use that to add content to the store and sort out contracts with other studio's overtime...

Around the Network
PS360ForTheWin said:
what about the UK? will we get the new video store aswell?

I'd guess UK will be first to get it after US. It's the next largest Western market after US, and Sony already have a video-on-demand service for PSP there, so it shouldn't take much effort to offer that for PS3 too.

I want 80gb + BC + dualshock 3 paddle

Time to Work !

Don't count on it.

We have already got our DS 3's, so you might have thought they could finally give us the 80GB and I really hope that we do not get the yellow platinum games, I like the old silver ones