By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

It looks like it is time for this thread to stop going on

Around the Network
Saiyar said:
It looks like it is time for this thread to stop going on

Because blu-ray releases should magically be selling like hotcakes from this point. [/sarcasm]

The fact is that we still have yet to see an HDM release of a major film sell more than 2% of its DVD counterpart. If this move somehow breaks that, THEN HD-DVD might falter. If it doesn't, we'll know it's consumer indifference, not confusion. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

On, on, on, on, on.

No the thread will be closed when Toshiba announces they will no longer make HD DVD players.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

yeah can we lock this thread now. I mean its only a matter of time. Like a few months.

Around the Network

So Basically this is what it comes down to.

Blu Ray: MGM, 20th century fox, Lionsgate, Warner Bros., Disney, Sony Pictures Entertainment

HD DVD: Universal, Paramount, Weinstein Company

Both: New Line Cinema

I don't know about you but I'd go with Blu Ray

Anybody wanna add/change to my list, go ahead.

Hah. Only a few months? I see this battle going on for a few years, before Digital distribution finally cans both of them.

superchunk said:
yeah can we lock this thread now. I mean its only a matter of time. Like a few months.

Hardly. Toshiba threw a bunch of money out there for timed exclusivity. There's absolutely no reason for them to concede that when they can stall Sony even longer to continue customer confusion, thereby extending the life of their other format, DVD.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

coolestguyever said:
So Basically this is what it comes down to.

Blu Ray: MGM, 20th century fox, Lionsgate, Warner Bros., Disney, Sony Pictures Entertainment

HD DVD: Universal, Paramount, Weinstein Company

Both: New Line Cinema

I don't know about you but I'd go with Blu Ray

Anybody wanna add/change to my list, go ahead.

How about movie sales still being niche. We got 10% of movie players sold in the last few weeks, but movie sales are still stuck at the 100+k opening week. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight: It will take time and the prices will go down.