By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

ProfDallas said:
steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
I see, stever. Yet it would be prudent for either format to truly slash movie prices soon.

absolutely, as evident by both sides BOGO's and give aways, the demand for the software is there when th eprice is right.....i think people can muster up the courage to drop 300 or 400 for a one time price for a players, but spending 30 bucks per title for BD or HD DVD is where the real barrier lies.

Uh , no. The format war has to be over and done with before HD media is going to be a major factor anyway, as the uncertianity of which format will be the winner has been a big factor in HD media's mediocre sales. So, if both of the respective formats want their brand to grow and I assume that both do, then they will discount the hell out of themselves to spur a win. Only, it just ain't gonna work for HD-DUD.

Of course. He offers no proof it won't work for one side, as he has no real proof, not even proof two formats are holding HD back, as the only "proof" of that is the word of those who simply want the format war to end, NOT actual mainstream consumers.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Numbers for the week are in

76:24 (Blu:HD)

1. POTC: worlds end (Blu, first by a long way)

2. Superbad (Blu)

3. Planet Earth (HD DVD, increased sales from last week)

4. Spiderman 3 (Blu)

5. Transformers (HD DVD)

thx saiyar

I was a bit affraid of the last week numbers ^^
I suppose POTC is the answer

Time to Work !

libellule said:
thx saiyar

I was a bit affraid of the last week numbers ^^
I suppose POTC is the answer

It looks like the only real sellers on HDM are the big name day and date releases. I expect that Harry Potter and The Simpsons Movie will be the only two films to do significant numerbs for the remainder of this year.

lets see if we can get this thread to 1000!!

on topic: guys, i dont see the fuss. the key thing to see victory FOR YOUR SELF is to not buy either of them until one a a clear winner, and the other is in every-way COMPLETELY DEAD.

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

Around the Network

Does this thread has the most posts out of all of them?

mM
leo-j said:
Does this thread has the most posts out of all of them?

Well with Sony not being diminant in video games anymore, Sony fanboys are desperate for Sony to be dominant in something.

But seriously, a lot of people put stakes in meaningless things. Ironincally, I put a lot of stake in logic and objectivity, and that seems to mean little to many.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
ProfDallas said:
steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
I see, stever. Yet it would be prudent for either format to truly slash movie prices soon.

absolutely, as evident by both sides BOGO's and give aways, the demand for the software is there when th eprice is right.....i think people can muster up the courage to drop 300 or 400 for a one time price for a players, but spending 30 bucks per title for BD or HD DVD is where the real barrier lies.

Uh , no. The format war has to be over and done with before HD media is going to be a major factor anyway, as the uncertianity of which format will be the winner has been a big factor in HD media's mediocre sales. So, if both of the respective formats want their brand to grow and I assume that both do, then they will discount the hell out of themselves to spur a win. Only, it just ain't gonna work for HD-DUD.

Of course. He offers no proof it won't work for one side, as he has no real proof, not even proof two formats are holding HD back, as the only "proof" of that is the word of those who simply want the format war to end, NOT actual mainstream consumers.

reading comprehension is your friend.

David Vaughn, insider from AVS, says last weeks numbers were 76:24 in favor of Blu-Ray. He's been correct the last 4 weeks, so I'll take his word for it. Pirates was the #1 title, with Superbad a distant second. That's greater than 3:1 for Blu. Very good numbers.

This current week is the best chance HD DVD has of winning a week all year. The major releases are HP 1-5 on both formats, and the Bourne Ultimatum on HD DVD.

Under normal conditions, Blu-Ray would be able to maintain it's lead, as HP would most likely sell 1.65:1 in favor of Blu-Ray, like Ocean's 13 and the Departed (or possibly even better, as in 2:1 like 300). The added sales of HP on Blu-Ray would then counteract the sales of BU. However, this week Best Buy is having a buy one get one free on HD DVD films INCLUDING the Bourne Ultimatum, effectively doubling the sales of the film at Best Buy, the largest seller of HDM in the country. For every copy of Bourne sold, customers will get to pick another HD DVD for free. If that doesn't put HD DVD on top...

A wildcard this week is the release of the Blu-Ray exclusive High School Musical 2. The series is insanely popular, and should sell VERY well on DVD. However, will parents fork over the extra to get their teenage daughters HM2 in HD? That remains to be seen, so I excluded it from my above forecast.

steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ProfDallas said:
steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

reading comprehension is your friend.

I did. He admitted lower prices would help sell HDM, but then claimed it wouldn't work for HD-DVD, with no actual proof. What's not to comprehend about that?