By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

I think the general public doesn't really care about blue ray or hd dvd yet, they are still fine with normal dvd's. I think in around 2010 everyone will start to switch over and then people will start to care. The only reason people switched to dvd's from vhs is that you don't have to rewind and it is more compact. The only change with hd dvd and blue ray is price and picture quality and not everyone has a hd tv yet.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
supermario128 said:
I think the general public doesn't really care about blue ray or hd dvd yet, they are still fine with normal dvd's. I think in around 2010 everyone will start to switch over and then people will start to care. The only reason people switched to dvd's from vhs is that you don't have to rewind and it is more compact. The only change with hd dvd and blue ray is price and picture quality and not everyone has a hd tv yet.

There is no doubt that this is true. However, once we get to the $100-$150 range, that can change quickly. I think thats why Toshiba has become so aggresive. I think its all about showing Warner that HD DVD can win this war since it has really just begun.

I don't think the studios are in as much of a hurry as everyone thinks to move to HD. The margins on standard DVDs is soo much larger than HD DVDs right now. That will start to change in a year or two, but right now that is not the case. A studio just doesn't lose any money right now if they don't release on either HD format.

Soriku said:
whatever said:
supermario128 said:

There is no doubt that this is true. However, once we get to the $100-$150 range, that can change quickly. I think thats why Toshiba has become so aggresive. I think its all about showing Warner that HD DVD can win this war since it has really just begun.

I don't think the studios are in as much of a hurry as everyone thinks to move to HD. The margins on standard DVDs is soo much larger than HD DVDs right now. That will start to change in a year or two, but right now that is not the case. A studio just doesn't lose any money right now if they don't release on either HD format.

There are some HD-DVDs out there that are $99.

Only through "special" offers.  Once the players are in that range all the time, thats when you'll see alot of movement in the HD market.

whatever said:
steverhcp02 said:
whatever said:
After all the deals this weekend, next weeks numbers will be ALOT closer.

just like after wal mart sold 90k players a couple weeks ago? Yeah, just like that, haha.

The sooner people stop despising BD because they attach it to Sony the better. BD is a better product an dhas more of a chance to survive than HD DVD. End of story. CE's retail, studios....all that matters all favor BD.

I consider HD DVD the better product. Mainly because it doesn't have region coding and BD+ DRM. Also, it is a finished spec, unlike blu-ray. But go ahead and support blu-ray with its draconian protection schemes. I'll support who I think deserves it.

The majority of Blu-Ray discs are region free releases. On the back of many Blu-Ray discs it says it will work in regions A, B, and C (the only three), and many of those that say only Region A are still region free.

Here's a list of Region A movies that are really region free:

http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-nbsp-All-nbsp-Region-nbsp-Blu-Ray-s/lm/R3ME1UYNKURJYO/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_2

Actually people I speak too, who are not technically inclined people, don't even know what blu-ray or HD-DVD are really, even though they own HD TVs. I think most people are quite content with their dvds for the forseeable future.

Around the Network

steverhcp02 said:
friedtofu said:
Saiyar said:
This weeks numbers are in. The full breakdown will be late though due to Thanksgiving. Probaly out on Monday.

Week 66:34 (Blu:HD)

Shrek 3 was number 1 with around 40k units.

Since in NA there are about 3 million Blu players (including the PS3's) vs about 300K(?) set top Hddvd players you would think that the ratio would be way different than this. Like 10:1.

try over 500k HD DVD players....and what, the study showed 20% PS3 users potentially use the system for playback?.........

Ugh, why do i even bother, yes BD is failing, everyone here is right, long live Wii60 down with Sony.

Yah thats the spirit! lol Just kidding. But what is the estimated number of set top boxes out their right now for both Blu and Hddvd? I think someone asked this earlier as well. I was under the impression there were only 300K hddvd players out there. Or did that last Walmart sale boost it to 500K?

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

whatever said:
supermario128 said:

That's why there are relatively few HD releases right now. All the major releases have an HD release, but older movies get HD released about once or twice a week (or slightly more).

Right now, the purpose is to get HD into the mainstream. Everything else, including loads of HD releases, and who wins this format war, is secondary, and even the latter is essentially just hype to push the primary goal. Right now, more than to beat the other side, getting a better market share is necessary to start getting more profits on the home video market. THEN who wins will actually matter.

So right now, if you think about it, the greater studio support for blu-ray, and the lower prices for HD-DVD players, are not hurting the other format as much as helping HD get a bigger market share. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ProfDallas said:
Asian distributor snubs HD-DVD while giving support for Blu-ray as next-gen format of choice.
---------------------------------------------------

Asian cinema powerhouse Tai Seng is shifting its next-gen support into high-gear this January, with the Blu-ray-exclusive bow of the Hong Kong blockbuster 'Initial D.'

From the acclaimed director Andrew Lau and based on the popular manga of the same name, 'Initial D' is a 2005 live-action spectacular about the dangerous streetcar sport of "drifting." A box office phenomenon in its native Hong Kong, the success of 'Initial D' proved so great it even achieved crossover status on these shores, helping to inspire Universal's hit sequel 'Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift.'

Long one of the biggest domestic distributors of Asian cinema on DVD, Tai Seng has chosen Blu-ray as its next-gen format of choice, and will launch 'Initial D' on January 22, 2008.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Tai_Seng/Disc_Announcements/Tai_Seng_Jumps_Into_Blu-ray_with_Initial_D/1197
This asian distributor bringing out BD movies is overshadowed by the fact that one of China's regulatory groups has publicly come out and said that Blu-ray is the format that has the government's approval.  Of course I don't know how much this means as HD-DVD can still sell movies in china, but given that the government in china makes a lot of the decisions, a lot more when compared to america, I think that things are looking great for China.    Peace.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6503907.html

Walt Disney Home Entertainment's Chapek: BD Victory Only Delayed

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 11/19/2007

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. — Far from declaring a stalemate in the high-definition disc format war as Sony's CEO Howard Stringer recently did, Walt Disney Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek told TWICE during a recent Blu-ray Fest promotional event here that the Blu-ray camp's inevitable victory was only delayed slightly.

He said the surprise announcements of Paramount and DreamWorks this summer to exclusively back HD DVD temporarily confused the market, but Blu-ray's momentum continues unabated, and it should be revealed as the obvious victor during the coming year.

The following is a brief Q&A interview with Chapek during the studio's sendoff for the DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases of "Ratatouille":

TWICE: What's your assessment of the progress of the Blu-ray Disc rollout so far?

Chapek: I think it's going according to plan. Some people were surprised, and some weren't about the announcements that took place with competitive studios in the HD DVD camp a few months ago. But, to me, that was the last act of a desperate format trying to pull itself out of a nose dive. It was too little, too late. Consumers are voting with their dollars in anywhere from a 2:1 to 3:1 ratios for Blu-ray domestically, and even higher than that internationally. We have 90 percent market shares in Australia and Japan and anywhere from 70 to 80 percent market shares in Europe.

In my mind, the artificial extension of the format war, through whatever incentives were given, was counter to the consumer. The consumers made their minds up what format they preferred by some pretty large margins, and [the Paramount and DreamWorks decisions to back HD DVD exclusively] just served to extend what's an unnecessary format war, and confused the consumers and put at risk those who may now buy a format that will become obsolete very shortly.

Aside from that little momentary distraction, consumers continue to buy Blu-ray Discs as more players come on the market and discs become more prevalent and start to gain dominance at retail. When Blu-ray first came out it was getting 50/50 shelf space with HD DVD, and now the shelf-space has clearly turned in the favor of Blu-ray, and that means the sales will only continue to slide towards Blu. That will make the already inevitable outcome seem even more inevitable.

TWICE: You sound pretty confident. Any guess for when that might be?

Chapek: I would have said it would be over by the end of the calendar year, but that was before the surprise announcements [from Paramount and DreamWorks]. My guess is that within the next year it will be clear in everybody's mind that Blu-ray is the ultimate successor to DVD.

TWICE: What is Disney's current plan to bring BD Live Web-enabled interactivity into the Blu-ray market?

Chapek: We [Disney] are targeting late Spring for our BD Live applications, and it will be profound when we do it. As examples of what we can do, think of the Liars' Dice computer game that was part of "Pirates of The Caribbean II: Dead Man's Chest." Now imagine that we are playing each other through our Blu-ray players — You're in New York and I'm in L.A. Or, think of "Sleeping Beauty" when the first Disney Platinum title comes out in Blu-ray. Let's say we make an appointment that every Tuesday at 5 o'clock Sleeping Beauty comes out and engages in a live chat. You can ask her questions and she will respond to you. The possibilities are limitless.

TWICE: Many of the Blu-ray Disc players on the market now do not have the necessary hardware to utilize those forthcoming BD Live capabilities. Do you have any concern for those who have purchased, in a sense, obsolete products so early in the game?

Chapek: I would say the people who have bought a Blu-ray player, particularly a set-top box, up to this point are early adopters and early adopters thrive on buying not only the first player that's out on the market, but they understand that there's a lot of churn. When I buy the first Blu-ray player that comes out, I know that there are going to be features and benefits to come along two years out that are going to be superior to what I have. I think that amongst the group of people who have already bought it, it won't be too much of an issue, but we are doing everything we can to encourage the CE manufacturers to rapidly evolve their players to full functionality so there are fewer people impacted. But that is up to the CE manufacturers. We just encourage them all the time.

TWICE: A number of Blu-ray studios and manufacturers recently pooled their resources on an "I Do Blu" national advertising campaign — but not all are participating. Why was that?

Chapek: The Blu-ray group's strength is that it has 170 companies. The Blu-ray group's liability is that there are 170 companies. Trying to get 170 companies to unanimously agree to anything is really, really tough. Given that there are certain companies that are naturally inclined to step up and fund the marketing efforts, certain companies quickly said "yes" to co-marketing, and that allowed us to move very quickly. But all were invited and all are welcome to participate.

TWICE: 20th Century Fox recently announced that it will add a "Digital Copy" version of "Die Hard 4" to a two-disc special-edition DVD release due on Nov. 20. Purchasers can use the WMV version to transfer to PCs and portable media players without breaking CSS copy protection. Will Disney offer similar options?

Chapek: Absolutely. We plan to begin that around the middle of next year. I think you can look at it one of two ways. It's either a half-step to a true digital rights management managed copy world, or you can say if two of the biggest problems with downloading movies is storage space and download time, it solves both of those pretty well. Either way you look at it, it is going to be a real nifty interim step, or it is going to be the way the majority of consumers get their digital content.

Time to Work !

It all depends on Warner.

Warner has released roughly 30% of all HD movies on either format, as they are the only studio releasing large numbers of catalog titles consistently, and if they went to HD, Blu would have no chance of winning. Both would probably stalemate, but equal movie selection combined with cheaper HD DVD players would definitely keep Blu from reaching total victory. I don't think it would be enough for HD to win, however. Like I said, content would be equal on both sides (with a slight lean to HD, assuming Fox continues to sit on it's ass) but the ps3 effect, early adopters going dual format, and the continuing (though meager) sales of Blu-Ray standalones would turn this war into a stalemate, something that retailers and studios really don't want. Also, sales of Blu-Ray SAL players would pick up in a year or two when they drop to around $150 just like what happened with HD DVD.

If Warner went HD, at least Fox would start releasing more titles. It took the Paramount move for them to even release Independence Day.

If Warner went Blu, however, Blu-Ray would have almost 80% of studio marketshare from the last year, and more than 80% of the current HD releases exclusive to the format, and it would guarantee a win within a couple of years.