By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

Black Friday 2007: Best Blu-ray, HD DVD Player Deals So Far

Wed Nov 21, 2007 at 04:04 PM ET
Tags: High-Def Retailing (all tags)

Both next-gen disc formats promise to figure prominently as retailers officially kick off the holiday shopping season with a series of post-Thanksgiving sales this Friday.

Though we won't know til Friday whether these are the best deals to be had, several national chains have already unveiled plans to offer Blu-ray and HD DVD players at discounted prices.

Here's what we've been able to verify thus far. Watch this space for more next-gen player deals as they're revealed. Found one we haven't listed? Send it to us via our Tips and Submissions form (Black Friday deals only, please).

(Note that although we've provided links to product information from the retailer when available, most of the deals listed below are for in-store purchase only. Prices do not include manufacturer rebates; bundled in-box and mail-in discs also not listed.)

Blu-ray Players

• Samsung BD-P1400 - $377 at Circuit City (Thurs-Sat
    includes 3 free Blu-ray movies
  • Sony 40GB PS3 - $399 at Best Buy (Fri-Sat)
    includes 'Open Season' Blu-ray and NBA '08 PS3 Game
  • Sony 40GB PS3 - $399 at Circuit City
    includes free wireless controller
  • Sony 80GB PS3 - $499 at Wal-Mart (Sat-Sun)
    "secret sale" includes 10 free Blu-ray movies
  • Samsung BD-P1400 - $399 at Best Buy (Fri-Sat)
    includes 2 Blu-ray movies (from 10 pre-selected titles)
  • Sony BDP-S300 - $399 at Best Buy (Fri-Sat)
    includes 'Spider-Man 3' Blu-ray
  • Sony BDP-S300 - $399 at Circuit City
    includes $25 gift card

HD DVD Players

To discuss these and other next-gen hardware and software deals, visit the Blu-ray Bargains and HD DVD Bargains areas in our forums area.

If you want to break into hi-def (I'm still holding out for move movies), this is a good time. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

CE-Oh no he didn't! Part XI: Stringer's flip-flop edition

Posted Nov 22nd 2007 4:52AM by Darren Murph
Filed under: HDTV, Home Entertainment

Merely days after Sony's Howard Stringer was scrutinized for calling the format war a "stalemate," the exec has apparently decided to tweak his tone a bit. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Stringer was quoted as saying that Blu-ray had "the momentum and the scale" it needed to eventually reign victorious over its rival. Additionally, he noted that Blu-ray was "just a better format," and he even went so far as to tout BD's excellent security features, which were effectively subverted just weeks ago after being hailed as practically impenetrable. Furthermore, he didn't seem worried over the new, lower prices associated with standalone HD DVD players, but who knows, maybe he'll be singing a different tune next week.

However, in the comments secion:

This Engadget post is another example of bad journalism leading to more bad journalism. Stringer's original comments were clearly taken out of context in the original AP story and heavily spun. See this:

http://tinyurl.com/2nx2qg

From the same Steven Adler interview of Howard Stringer that was quoted in the AP story:

---begin excerpt---

Adler: Of course, one of the big fights right now is Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD for the high definition video market. I mean, the first and most obvious question is: Shouldn't there just be one format? Why should people have to choose between the two? And is there any possibility that we'll be heading there?

Stringer: I should point out that that is not part of the software battle. I mean, that's actually in some ways sort of anachronistic. We're fighting over a packaged goods hardware that will not go on forever, from a classic sense. We have a more expensive version, as Sony tends to, and Toshiba has a cheaper version, which seems to keep getting cheaper. I believe it has slowed down the progress of high definition packaged goods. Oddly, the studios kind of liked it for a while. They were able to leverage one of us against each other. But in the end, it's counterproductive. We have a sort of stalemate at the moment. As you know, they had fewer studios, but then they paid a lot of money for Paramount. So we have four studios and they have two or three studios. It's a difficult... it's a difficult fight. There was a chance to integrate it before I became CEO. This is something I inherited. And I don't know what broke down. I wish I could go back there, because I heard it was all about saving face and losing face, and all the rest of it. But it's not a battle about the digital future. That's what's so strange about it. If it doesn't work out, that doesn't say very much about where we're all going. It's just... it's a scorecard: one-nothing or something. But it doesn't mean as much as all that. PlayStation 3 will still go on playing games. It would have to have a different disk drive. And that's about it really.

Adler: So when a consumer now has to choose between the two, if they want to get into the high definition video, Wal-Mart was selling the Toshiba HD-DVD for $99 last Friday for a couple of days. Usually, it's been $199 there. I think your list price is $499 for Blu-ray. That's an enormously big difference, particularly in a slowing economy. Can you play that game with the difference being that great?

Stringer: Well... we've been selling them as fast as we're making them because the brand -- first of all, we're not the only ones selling them at that price. So is Panasonic, so is Samsung, so is Sharp. And one of the reasons it's more expensive is because it does more. The bandwidth is greater. If you just want a two-hour movie, the Toshiba version is a high definition picture. But we thought that to drive high definition into the customer's imagination, you should future-proof the disks so that you could have director's cuts, which are fairly obvious. We have six to seven hours of bandwidth available. You can have interactivity in three dimensions. We would be prepared to allow the package goods to survive much longer by making it much more innovative. But that does make the player more expensive. Now, they all come down. The race is to bring costs down. It always is in consumer electronics. So it isn't going to stay at $499.

Adler: But are you surprised by how little Toshiba can sell its unit for?

Stringer: No, because -- look, I can sell it for a dollar. I'd lose a lot of money, but if you want to go that route, it's a tough competition, and it seems to be about a lot of things, including face. So if you want to cut the price down and engage us in a price war, that's a different system. We were trying to win on the merits, which we were doing for a while until Paramount changed sides.

Adler: Microsoft seems to have an interesting role in this. They're selling add-on HD-DVD drives for the -- they're taking HD-DVD to the Xbox, and Xbox competes strongly with you. Is Microsoft kind of working in cahoots or in alliance with Toshiba on HD-DVD? Is that a competitive challenge to you?

Stringer: Only the spirits know. [laughs] Yeah... you never know with Microsoft do you? You never know. Xbox versus PS3 is sort of a subplot. What Microsoft's role is in that? I don't know. We're still selling software at a faster level than Toshiba. Obviously, we care about the software side more than the Toshiba does. It doesn't have a studio. It doesn't own a studio. So it's in our interest to -- actually the most significant thing in some ways about Blu-ray, going back to Microsoft... the Blu-ray Disc has a very high security level, which Fox in particular, but also other studios, was most excited about -- wanted to have some protection from instant ripping. So the specs that went into the Blu-ray, which were done in conjunction with many studios, had this security level. That is probably not in Microsoft's interests. The Toshiba disk is certainly far easier to rip. Whether you like that or don't like that depends on your consumer enthusiasm.

---end of excerpt---

His comments sound consistent to me and can hardly be characterized as flip-flopping when read in their full context.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

"His comments sound consistent to me and can hardly be characterized as flip-flopping when read in their full context."

Get your logic out of here, hippy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Yeah, the AP article spinned Stringer's original comments a bit, but I don't think it was intentional. It's just that fanboys like to read everything into anything.

makingmusic476 said:
Yeah, the AP article spinned Stringer's original comments a bit, but I don't think it was intentional. It's just that fanboys like to read everything into anything.

Well it may have been a spin, or it may have been the shock of any comments not gushing about blu-ray, from someone like him, even if he is still committed to the format. 

Around the Network

What the... what does he mean by this?

"...
Yeah... you never know with Microsoft do you? You never know. Xbox versus PS3 is sort of a subplot. What Microsoft's role is in that? I don't know.
..."

Xbox vrs PS3 a "subplot"? I'm not so sure - maybe BluRay vrs HD-DVD is the subplot?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

This thread is going to last around 20 years

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Blu-Ray now has roughly 17% marketshare in recordable media in Japan, with DVD at around 80%, and HD DVD trailing at 3%.

From Register Hardware:

HD DVD may end up achieving parity with Blu-Ray one day in the States, but Blu-Ray will NEVER die because of Japan.

If Blu-Ray ends up maintaining it's 96% marketshare lead in Japan through to the end, then studios will HAVE to sell their movies on BLu-Ray in order to sell to Japan, which has the second highest GDP in the world after the US (not counting the EU). 

Blu-Ray will always be here.  In the end, you can either choose Blu-Ray and help us move to a one format world, or you can support HD DVD, helping to ensure a dual format future.

makingmusic476 said:

Blu-Ray now has roughly 17% marketshare in recordable media in Japan, with DVD at around 80%, and HD DVD trailing at 3%.

From Register Hardware:

HD DVD may end up achieving parity with Blu-Ray one day in the States, but Blu-Ray will NEVER die because of Japan.

If Blu-Ray ends up maintaining it's 96% marketshare lead in Japan through to the end, then studios will HAVE to sell their movies on BLu-Ray in order to sell to Japan, which has the second highest GDP in the world after the US (not counting the EU).

Blu-Ray will always be here. In the end, you can either choose Blu-Ray and help us move to a one format world, or you can support HD DVD, helping to ensure a dual format future.

Posting on this thread is not going to influence the war,* so that last comment is useless. Also, the recording lead is due to HD-DVD coming out just over a year ago, while blu-ray recording has been around longer. The growth of HD-DVD recording is pretty decent for the time frame, even if it's unlikely to take the lead.

*And I just post on this thread to get it through people's heads that they can't influence this format war here. 

Haha, I hear ya. I don't know why, but I feel obligated to try, lol.

I was considering making a thread about this in OT, but I knew I'd get one of these resoponses:

1. Who cares, DVD's great.
2. You're a fanboy!11!! Region coding sucks!1! HD DVD rocks!11! Screw Sony!!1
3. It's Japan...only America counts, lolz. 

...and maybe a few others, like some BD fans throwing out the occasional "Great news." or something.