By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Outselling does NOT kill a rival. LOSING MONEY kills the rival. This is why it's a lie that HD-DVD is dying, as both formats are approaching profitability.

Yet the market share is creeping towards blu-ray

Around the Network

Forcasted end of FormatWar-18month. Probability of that-There more chance of FFXIII coming out this year.
JPN-BD has completly pwned HDDVD here.
EU-BD gaining ground fast.
NA-Will you hurry up and pick BD please for the love of god.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

dallas said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Outselling does NOT kill a rival. LOSING MONEY kills the rival. This is why it's a lie that HD-DVD is dying, as both formats are approaching profitability.

Yet the market share is creeping towards blu-ray

Yet you clearly didn't read my post.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:

yahh that 150 mill to get some studio support, sure way to profitability.

The HD-DVD freight train is coming...I promise...we haven't just been saying this for 6 months now...cheap Chinese players...price advantage...real successor to DVD...Blu-Ray is evil...actual sales don't matter, only attach rates...it doesn't matter if Blu-Ray beats HD-DVD every week in sales, including player sales now, because HD-DVD will win, NO MATTER WHAT...

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
The PS3 freight train is coming...I promise...we haven't just been saying this for 6 months now... price drop...no more price advantage...real successor to PS2...Nintendo is evil...actual sales don't matter, only attach rates...it doesn't matter if Wii beats PS3 every week in sales, including player sales now, because PS3 will win, NO MATTER WHAT...
there, fixed that for you ;)

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:
akuma587 said:
The PS3 freight train is coming...I promise...we haven't just been saying this for 6 months now... price drop...no more price advantage...real successor to PS2...Nintendo is evil...actual sales don't matter, only attach rates...it doesn't matter if Wii beats PS3 every week in sales, including player sales now, because PS3 will win, NO MATTER WHAT...
there, fixed that for you ;)

Who are you, RolStoppable?  I can take things with a sense of humor, but it is harder to compare the format war to the video game war.  I don't deny the PS3 is underperforming, but the console market isn't a total winner take all situation, especially this generation.  The format war is.  HD-DVD is now even losing the things it has always claimed it had on its side, standalone sales.  It isn't very surprising considering almost every major hardware manufacturer out there supports Blu-Ray and not HD-DVD because Toshiba undercuts them on price.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Hus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

yahh that 150 mill to get some studio support, sure way to profitability.

That was not from any actual source, just a speculative article (wheras the money for the GTA IV exclusive DLC was from an actual company document).

Yet even if it is, Sony blew a hell of a lot more making their most important blu-ray player, so they aren't making profit right now either.

The thing is that it will take one format making money, and one not, that will decide what will be the only format. If both make profit, then both will be around.*

*Not even Beta disappeared when VHS outsold it; commercial tape use favored Beta, as the quality was more important than length, and they could afford extra tapes anyway.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:

As far as I know, Toshiba has been forced to subsidize all of it's players in order to maintain some sort of significant price advantage over the Blu-Ray standalone players.  That's not helping them approach profitabilty by any means.

Actually, Toshiba's subsidizing of it's players is exactly why companies like Samsung will produce at best a dual format player, and never a standalone HD DVD unit.  All the major CE manufacturers aside from Toshiba and Sony are in this to make money immediately, unlike Sony and Toshiba who are willing to take losses right now in the hopes of winning big later (Sony with it's ps3 losses, and Toshiba with it's HD DVD player losses).  Smasung, etc. cannot compete with Toshiba's low price points in the HD DVD market without subsidizing their players as well, and they have no reason to do that.

Toshiba risked everything they had on this format war, and if they lose, they could be financially ruined.  Subsidizing their players and providing Universal and Paramount with incentives for exclusive support could have devestating effects on the company if they don't win this war.

Toshiba risked everything they had on this format war, and if they lose, they could be financially ruined. Subsidizing their players and providing Universal and Paramount with incentives for exclusive support could have devestating effects on the company if they don't win this war.

Do you really believe that? Even if we take it for granted that Toshiba is paying Universal and Paramount (which has yet to be proven by a reliable source), they would never spend more than they can afford since HD DVD is only a means for them to keep Sony and the BDA at bay (as it is for MS). IIRC Toshiba owns the majority of the DVD patents, so the current situation (DVD sales by far outshining HD media sales) probably flushes enough money into their pockets to allow them to keep on subsidizing their HD DVD business without risking greater damage for the company.

And on a sidenote: I hope you won't be too disappointed if Warner becomes HD DVD exclusive or even Disney becomes format neutral (this is pure speculation, and should it not happen I'll gladly admit that I was wrong).