By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

Wal-Mart, Warners, Netflix, and others, were victories for blu-ray. HD-DVD ending would be a loss for them.

"Yes, but that did not happen."

That wasn't for you as those insisting HD-DVD had to go away for blu-ray to grow. There was no real proof of that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I have found that the only people that keep referring to HDM vs DVD are those who despise BD, invested in HD DVD or dont have a damn clue what theyre talking about.

This was HD DVD vs BD. Now its over. Once its "official" this fall and xmas we can create a new thread about HDM penetration. HD DVD getting beaten down and finally giving up was due to BD being superior in sales. Thats a victory for BD, it was a battle for a single format, if HD DVD goes away BD is the format, thus they "won".

This thread, regardless of who created it or his intent has been carried on as a debate and discussion about HD DVD vs. BD. Nothing you try to do will bring HD DVD back....sure you can keep talking about DVD ratios compared to HDM but that wont be a fair comparison straight up.

Here: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6532685.html

High-def discs, introduced in 2006, sold 8.3 million units by the end of 2007. That compares to 16.3 million units for standard-definition in their first two years at retail, according to Adams.
By standard DVD’s year two in 1998, there were nearly 100 million TV households ready to plug in players, according to Nielsen Media Research. In contrast, just 26.5 million households in 2007 had the required high-def TV set for Blu-ray or HD DVD hardware, according to DisplaySearch.

So HDM to this point in comparison to DVD sold more than half the software, while only having roughly more than 1/4 of capable television sets. See, people like you that are ill informed, Lord, dont liek to discuss things with realistic variables, youd rather spread FUD and jump topic to topic. HDM is selling better than DVD overal given the variable si have bolded in the aforementioned article. 

Now, since i was right about essentially everything in this thread with my analysis, ill go out on a limb and combine the insane drop off in HD DVD player sales the week after the WB announcement and predict that due to the end of confusion and the ability for the BDA and retail and studios to soon be able to push BD is THE format, void of worry and doubt we will see a great sales surge this summer/fall. Granted, its going to take a while until we see if my prediction is correct but i think im going to be correct. So you can keep trying to hammer home unsubstantiated comparisons until the cows come home while us grown ups talk about BD and its bright future now that confused consumers wont be tricked into getting a "HD" dvd player. 

Using sales figures to prove the motives of a large group of people?

Who is fooling who?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Who is fooling who?

do you not keep trying to belittle HDM and BD and the adoption of such compared to DVD?I guess i shouldnt have expected you to actual see real figures that contradict your points afterall, that would prove youre wrong, and that just cant happen.

steverhcp02 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Who is fooling who?

do you not keep trying to belittle HDM and BD and the adoption of such compared to DVD?I guess i shouldnt have expected you to actual see real figures that contradict your points afterall, that would prove youre wrong, and that just cant happen.

I just stat hi-def films need to do more to attract the mainstream. HDM are selling well among A/V users, which I actually pointed out before.

You have me mixed up with others. 

Around the Network

ITSSSSSSS OVER

Toshiba Cancels HD-DVD

It is over! The format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD has come to an end! On NHK, Japanese TV, a reporter for the channel has made the announcement that Toshiba will halt production of HD-DVD players and conceding a loss to the Blu-ray group. He said that Toshiba will be making the formal announcement within a few days.

With Blu-ray featuring a commanding lead over HD-DVD worldwide, the choice was beyond obvious. It's estimated that Blu-ray commands 90% of the high-definition market, and with 10 million PlayStation 3s out there, it's certainly a big boost for the format. Additionally, with retailers and studio support dropping left and right, HD-DVD had no ground to stand on anymore. Toshiba will continue to liquidate HD-DVD stock, but production has been officially ended.

This loss could cost Toshiba an unspecified figure of hundreds of millions US dollars. Hopefully, Toshiba will be able to recooperate much of that loss with their Blu-ray products. As we reported earlier, it looks like Toshiba is planning Blu-ray players of their own to go on sale this Summer.

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

Official announcement expected tomorrow.

"Despite Red's inability to make any real public statement, Japanese publication Nikkei has it that Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida will be announcing the final discontinuation of HD DVD tomorrow, as well as halted sales of hardware and media by March (as in days from now)."

No more HD DVD from March onwards. 

blu-ray ooooooooowned

Oh snap! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *Dancing in the streets with girls topless on cars!* ROFL, haha.

SONY FTW! HD DVD just got pwned!

wow the thread just might end.