By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

makingmusic476 said:
Wal-mart will only stock Blu-Ray players starting June:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873029-7.html

Wal-Mart puts stake through HD DVD's heart:

Things have gone from bad to worse for HD DVD in the space of one week.

Wal-Mart announced Friday morning that it, too, has chosen a side in the battle for high-definition video supremacy: by June it will only stock Blu-ray Disc players.

A buyer in Wal-Mart's video division wrote this morning on her Wal-Mart Checkout blog that the retail giant had made the decision following Netflix and Best Buy's high-profile announcements that they will exclusively stock Blu-ray products.

Wrote Susan Chronister of Wal-Mart: "By June Wal-Mart will only be carrying Blu-ray movies and hardware machines, and of course standard-def movies, DVD players, and up-convert players."

"So," she continues, not mincing words, "if you bought the HD (DVD) player like me, I'd retire it to the bedroom, kid's playroom, or give it to your parents to play their John Wayne standard-def movies, and make space for a BD player..."

That might be the best option at this point, as the dominoes keep falling in Blu-ray's favor. While Netflix and Best Buy were pretty damning evidence that the end was near, now it's glaringly obvious: it's over for HD DVD. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that consumers will automatically start buying Blu-ray players. As mentioned many times before here, prices will have to continue to fall on both Blu-ray players and packaged media for there to be any sort of mainstream adoption of the format.

There are rumors that Toshiba might soon be declaring defeat: The Hollywood Reporter has sources telling it that Toshiba, the main backer of the HD DVD, might drop its allegiance with the format in the next few weeks.

Toshiba denies it, but stay tuned. There's likely much more to come in this drama.

nice find, thats pretty hard to swallow.
I guess the format war is finally over...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

"I guess the format war is finally over..."

No. It's looking as though it will be over. But it is not yet over right now.

You all waited over a year. You can at least have the patience to wait until an official announcement, before declaring this over.

Just keep your pants on.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:

You all waited over a year. You can at least have the patience to wait until an official announcement, before declaring this over.

Just keep your pants on.

My arent we a bit touchy today?

The keywords we're looking for are "I guess"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

The retail fat lady has sung her tune. The one who calls the shots in the retailer market has made a stance.

This thread can be properly closed soon, but let's wait until 1. Toshiba surrender statement or 2. Paramount and Universal jump ship. From the way it sounds, both may be happening the same day.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

iclim4 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Just keep your pants on.

The keywords we're looking for are "I guess"

Well at least you are admitting that was a guess. I've seen a lot of liars insisting the "knew" this was going to happen. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
iclim4 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Just keep your pants on.

The keywords we're looking for are "I guess"

Well at least you are admitting that was a guess. I've seen a lot of liars insisting the "knew" this was going to happen. 

At least I'm admitting? Wait, what? You're the one who wrongfully assumed I was insisting I "knew this was going to happen"eventhough I phrased my comment pretty clear that it was just a guess. -_-
sure their might have been a lot of liars and you're getting annoyed but that doesnt excuse your behavior.
how can you act like this little misunderstanding was my fault?

so.. it`s the end then. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

No not yet, wait a while, when toshiba themselves say they are no longer producing a dying format.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

THREAD OVER:

"Toshiba has made the decision to withdraw from next generation high-definition DVD production."

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873848-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

Well, this was obvious.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker