By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 win the HD format war?

I don't think so. In fact, I don't think this format war is meant to be won at all, at least not in terms of defeating the other format. I think both Sony and Toshiba agreed to a format war. Why? Simple. The mass market has never quickly embraced something when it comes to consumer electronics. The mass market has shown themselves to be technophobic, and therefore cautious of anything new. It always takes a few years for anything to catch on. Name anything in electronics, and look up when it was introduced, and then when it actually caught on.

Sony and Toshiba aren't stupid. They know that it's the industry pushing HD, not the mass market. They know that people don't like to throw their olds things away, as long as they still work. They also know that people DO like to take sides.

This format war isn't to sell either format. It's to GET ATTENTION for them. It's simply a game of good cop, bad cop.

You think this is a ridiculous theory? Well then why do we care about which sports team wins, or care about political party affiliation, instead of politicians actually doing their jobs? It's all about taking sides. The mass market may not put a value in a prettier picture, but they do put a value on bragging rights.

Can I prove this? Well if I'm right, then Sony and Toshiba will declare a truce, and offer dual players, once HDTV prices reach true mass market level (as in decent size TVs, that cost around $300).

Just because they don't offer them NOW doesn't mean it's impossible later, even with a future PS3 SKU. The only ones hurt will be early adopters, but they've been pretty gullible*ahem*forgiving before.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Um, no. They would rather have just one format and they would prefer that format to be their own. Your little conspiracy theory is cute and all, but just no.

twesterm said:
Um, no. They would rather have just one format and they would prefer that format to be their own. Your little conspiracy theory is cute and all, but just no.

That is part of my point. Did you actually read my OP?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Yes, I read your post. You think Sony and Toshiba are in this together to create a fake war to boost awareness and sales which I'm sorry to say is pretty stupid.

And why would you anyone assume something other than a company wants their own format to win? Great point there Captain Obvious.

NVM

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Yes, I read your post. You think Sony and Toshiba are in this together to create a fake war to boost awareness and sales which I'm sorry to say is pretty stupid.

And why would you anyone assume something other than a company wants their own format to win? Great point there Captain Obvious.

That's why I stated they will likely call a truce when they think this has done its job. Look at the history of DVD. There was going to be a format war, but Sony and Toshiba compromised. Toshiba got most of the hardware patents, and Sony got to sell PS2 games and movies on DVD. Both walked away winners. This time, they don't have a clearly superior format. DVD was to VHS as CDs cassettes. Yet HD discs are to DVD as Super Audio CDs are to CDs. And how much did SACDs catch on?

Yet if there was a format war, people would go for either side, but both sides would still be HD. Look at this board when HD-DVD or blu-ray is mentioned. People actually CARE about HD because of this.

As for the risk, unlike VHS vs Bet, dual players and dual format discs are possible (in a way that 33RPM LPs were put on the same players as 45RPM singles). This is just the first year, and how much of the DVD players and films mattered in its first coupld of years? They didn't, and if Sony and Toshiba are smart, they both have plans to get plenty of money from this format war.

LordTheNightKnight said:

That's why I stated they will likely call a truce when they think this has done its job. Look at the history of DVD. There was going to be a format war, but Sony and Toshiba compromised. Toshiba got most of the hardware patents, and Sony got to sell PS2 games and movies on DVD. Both walked away winners. This time, they don't have a clearly superior format. DVD was to VHS as CDs cassettes. Yet HD discs are to DVD as Super Audio CDs are to CDs. And how much did SACDs catch on?

There never was a format war to begin with with DVD. At the start they agreed on a standard, and so you can't compare BD vs HD-DVD to that.

The main reason that there's a format war this time, was I think because it was Toshiba, or another one of the electronics giants that had most of the rights to the DVD formay, and companies like Sony had to pay them money each time they made a DVD or DVD player, so it's understandable they don't want to pay that kinda money this time.

Also, Super Audio CDs? Well although they may not be mass-market, things like that are still used professionally, so are Mini-disks (mainly Jingles for Radio) and Digital-Cassette Tapes. In fact, as most people are probably aware, movies have been recored in HD for ages; that's part of the reason Beat-Max was used professionally aswell, because there were HD versions.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Tispower said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

There never was a format war to begin with with DVD. At the start they agreed on a standard, and so you can't compare BD vs HD-DVD to that.

The main reason that there's a format war this time, was I think because it was Toshiba, or another one of the electronics giants that had most of the rights to the DVD formay, and companies like Sony had to pay them money each time they made a DVD or DVD player, so it's understandable they don't want to pay that kinda money this time.

I was thinking that at first, but the I remembered that Sony had the PS2 and Sony Pictures. So even if they paid Toshiba for their players, they more than made up for that with their games and movies.

Also, Super Audio CDs? Well although they may not be mass-market, things like that are still used professionally, so are Mini-disks (mainly Jingles for Radio) and Digital-Cassette Tapes. In fact, as most people are probably aware, movies have been recored in HD for ages; that's part of the reason Beat-Max was used professionally aswell, because there were HD versions.

The thing is that few people have heard of SACD, but this format war is making a lot of people aware of both HD-DVD and blu-ray.

LordTheNightKnight said:

I was thinking that at first, but the I remembered that Sony had the PS2 and Sony Pictures. So even if they paid Toshiba for their players, they more than made up for that with their games and movies.

Doesn;'t mean they won't want to avoid that this time, also any other company that made DVDs would have had to pay those royalties, and they may have mattered more to them, and so would want a different format as it were.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Tispower said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Doesn;'t mean they won't want to avoid that this time, also any other company that made DVDs would have had to pay those royalties, and they may have mattered more to them, and so would want a different format as it were.

The point is that it doesn't prove or disprove my theory. If they made a deal, it would be one where they both get money, as they did last time.