By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu Ray sales up 500% from last year.

Looks like poeple who are hoping that Bluray will be the next laser disk (M$) might have some explaining to do.

Weather you belive it will be the next format or not one thing is clear: Bluray sales are up... A wat.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/04/bluray_sales_redhill/

Around the Network

The question is: if and how does this help the PS3?

slimeattack said:
The question is: if and how does this help the PS3?

Bigger push for mass market. Mass market bigger push for lowered costs. Lowered costs for lowered prices. lowered prices for consumers. Consumers for paying money. Paying money to the company. YAY for everyoen

hell yea...great news

dam impressive ""more BDs were sold during the first five months of this year than during the whole of 2007.""

cool blu ray is gaining momentum. But will blu ray films last?

Around the Network

ye that is good fir ps3

Currently, Blu Ray has an 8-10% market share of all DVD sales. Meaning regular DVDs are still outselling High Def DVDs between 9:1 and 10:1.

The question that I have is what was the growth of High Def DVDs -- comparing current Blu Ray with last year's Blu Ray and HD DVD sales (assumption here is that current HD DVD sales are negligible.).

Also, while the PS3 is helping put Blu Ray players in homes -- an estimated 30M in NA, EU, and JP combined by the end of the year. However, the format is not quite catching on as quickly as some would like -- and that growth could stall. From the same article ... Yesterday, it emerged that more than half of US HD TV owners aren't familiar with the BD format, and only six per cent of consumers plan to buy a BD player in the next six months.

What this means is there is work to do to go from bleeding edge to mainstream. I would think that the PS3 will continue to be part of that strategy. Which may mean mixed messages (or at least bundles) from Sony.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

At this point in time last year the PS3 had sold 3.7 Million systems worldwide, right now the PS3 has sold 13.8 Million systems; pretty much 4 times as many systems on the market. When you consider that people are potentially far more likely to "invest" money into buying movies because they don't have to worry about HD-DVD anymore, this is hardly surprising.

mike_intellivision said:

Currently, Blu Ray has an 8-10% market share of all DVD sales. Meaning regular DVDs are still outselling High Def DVDs between 9:1 and 10:1.

The question that I have is what was the growth of High Def DVDs -- comparing current Blu Ray with last year's Blu Ray and HD DVD sales (assumption here is that current HD DVD sales are negligible.).

Also, while the PS3 is helping put Blu Ray players in homes -- an estimated 30M in NA, EU, and JP combined by the end of the year. However, the format is not quite catching on as quickly as some would like -- and that growth could stall. From the same article ... Yesterday, it emerged that more than half of US HD TV owners aren't familiar with the BD format, and only six per cent of consumers plan to buy a BD player in the next six months.

What this means is there is work to do to go from bleeding edge to mainstream. I would think that the PS3 will continue to be part of that strategy. Which may mean mixed messages (or at least bundles) from Sony.

Mike from Morgantown

Put your Bluray to DVD comparison in context and look at DVD sales when DVD came out in what 94,95?

Go ps3, bluray rules!

TO GOD BE THE GLORY