By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Paramount head on PS3 & Blu-ray

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2007/06/19/analysis-home-entertainment-studio-heads-predict-flat-sales-growth-for-2007

An interesting question that was asked to the panel is what impact the Blu-ray equipped PS3 will have on the adoption of next generation of DVDs.

“I think PS3 was a factor in focusing peoples attention to the next gen DVD, but ultimately I don’t think the PS3 is going to be a major factor in terms of (next-generation) adoption,” said Kelley Avery.

Some other interesting info from the article:

The hope is of course that the next generation DVD-sales will provide a boost. When and if that boost comes is still unclear and the jury is out on what digital delivery will do for the industry.

There was no clear answer from the panelists on what is causing the “slow” adoption of the new generation DVD players in the home market. “There is a lack of content on both sides and some confusion and slowed consumer adoption due to that people are holding out because they don’t want to buy the wrong format. But on the other hand prices have come down more than probably would be the case if we had just one format,” said Henry McGee.

Around the Network

I guess the slow adoption is that most people are not videophiles, and that neither format is offering anything truly significant over DVD, other than in-movie menus and greater video quality.

Yet it was convenience that pushed DVD over the top, and there has to be something drastic with that if either format has a prayer.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

There are a few reasons for the slow adoption:

1. Price of the player: Even with the discounted price, all the next gen media players are incredibly expensive.
  2. Price of the media: HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray discs are significally more expensive than DVD's.
  3. Most people don't have a TV that can even take advantage of HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray.
  4. The selection for both is fairly shitty.
  5. You won't get all the new releases unless you commit to both formats.
  6. People don't want to commit to one format only to have it fail.

For me, I just refuse to commit to a format until there is a clear winner.  Even if I had a PS3 or the HD-DVD 360 add on I still wouldn't buy either.  The movies are more expensive and say, if I had the HD-DVD add on and HD-DVD's failed, I would have to keep my 360 around just to play those movies or buy them again.  Either way isn't really preferable.

A little off topic, but I've noticed a fair amount of HD-DVD's that play in HD-DVD players and DVD players.  I don't know if Blu-Ray does this too but if that starts to become the standard that would help sales.  If I did buy HD-DVD/DVD's and HD-DVD's did fail, I wouldn't be out anything.  It's nice to have that little security blanket and that would do a great amount to boost sales.

“slow” adoption

maine reason format war duhh.

Blue3 said:
“slow” adoption

Brief reply

No thought put into argument.

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
Blue3 said:
“slow” adoption

Brief reply

No thought put into argument.

go troll the microsoft forum, diversify.

The slow adoption of these formats is because every format takes a long time to build awareness of the format and for people to feel comfortable buying into it. The mistake many people have made is they looked at analysts' sales estimates for the PS3 and expected nearly 20 Million people to have PS3 systems by now and made poor estimates on the number of movies that should have been sold by now.

In reality, most consumers will not show any interest in either format until Christmas 2008 (at the earliest).

I like DVD's because they're dirt cheap. The HD discs cost more than going to the cinema a few times (never mind the cost of player/ HD TV/ surround sound), and really, I just don't need to re-watch that many films, so HD formats aren't worth the money.

I still watch well upscaled DVDs on my 1080p 42 inch plasma... yeah... not really planning on upgrading till there is a winner, and even then if movies aren't selling for under 20 bucks they can go to hell.

Blue3 said:
“slow” adoption

It's only a "duh" if you think people would somehow be embracing either format otherwise. That is simply not the case. Niether format has anything truly worthwile over DVD yet. And the main reason we even care is because of this format war in the first place.

Yes, I am saying the format war is causing the adoption to be FASTER than it would be. Why? Simple. We like to take sides. Whether you favor blu-ray, HD-DVD, or waiting until this blows over, you are still taking a side that FAVORS High Defintion.

I say Sony and Toshiba did make a format compromise: use the format war to make people care about the formats. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs