By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Companies May Develop a Console or Handheld?

as Mnementh pointed out EA's contracts say, that they have to bring their games to about every console in existance, so I can't see them making a console, for right now they couldn't make their games exclusive to their plattform even if they wanted to

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
as Mnementh pointed out EA's contracts say, that they have to bring their games to about every console in existance, so I can't see them making a console, for right now they couldn't make their games exclusive to their plattform even if they wanted to

Their sport games, but games like crysis or Sims, Spore or a lot of others? They could, but won't.

BengaBenga said:
So why would someone enter a market in which 2 of the systems have to sell at a massive loss in order to be able to compete?
Seriously, unless you have a software division it makes no sense whatsoever to release a console.
But there should be companies interested in software though.

You would say? I am going to think otherwise. I say AMD could build a system, capable of the same the 360 can for 150-200$ producing costs. The 360 is sold for 300$, go figure.

Microsoft isn't a hardware company, they can't produce things cheap. They don't design that way, for example. I am fairly certain that you could build a console with standard PC components with just a special motherboard (dumped down). Why arn't consoles using normal PC processors? It is not like they are slow, or even for gaming. Putting on it a OS based on Embedded Linux (or BSD for that matter), you would have Open GL as graphic engine build in. The Game developer can optimize their code on the machine (like for all consoles) but it also easy to port, on near any PC gaming system availible. It was logical since TV's wern't capable of showing signals of a PC, or at least it was problematic. But that is changing more and more. My guess is that all consoles will be build that way, sooner or later, just because it is way cheaper to produce them that way.