By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY FY END MAR 2009 – PROJECTIONS – PS3 STILL LOSING MONEY BUT DIVISION PROFITABLE

bumidan said:
Arkk said:

I appreciate the time it took to do this, and I did read the whole thing, but I just find it hard to agree with you on some points.

For example, " However, due to increased online distribution and POSSIBLY HIGHER LICENSING FEES for PS3 software...". Why would the licensing fees be any higher now than before?

And one for PSP, "With cost reductions and a possible? new model coming out, I am increasing the net profit per PSP from $2(*) to $8(*)". Now, you fail to mention that there could also be a possible price cut to the device, and a new model is just rumour at this point, so increasing net profits from $2 to $8 would definitely be a stretch.

But I am nitpicking really. Other than those two points, I find the analysis to be pretty logical. Good job!

Now, if we could only find something better for you to do in your spare time!

@ArkkYou are free to disagree, that is what a good debate and discussion is all about.  Thanks for the feedback.To answer your questions:The reason I increased the licensing fees and really the NET PROFIT assumption for the PS3 is software is because:1. PS fanboys and/or people more knowledgeable than me pointed out that PS3 licensing fees are higher than PS2 and PSP.  Therefore, I changed it.2. PSP - I suppose I just judged it that way - because I was not aware of any PSP price cuts and Sony mentioned that PSP had cost reductions.To reiterate, the original work is a financial model.  If the VGChartz community has an original and trusted data source for some of those numbers, I can use them to tweak the model and make better analysis and projections.

And one more thing. The reason why I pointed out the "raised licensing fees" issue was because I thought you were saying they would be higher on the PS3 than they were on the PS3 the year before, not in relation to the PS2 or PSP. Otherwise, this statement may make more sense than I first thought.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

bumidan said:

From the previous threads, the loss per console for the PS3 for FY ending Mar 2008 was $210.50(*) . This was a $270(*) per unit cost reduction from the previous FY.

What the hell does that even mean?  (I don't need the definition of the economic terms, I need the sentences explained to me, and how they are supposed to relate to one another.)

Arkk said:
bumidan said:
Arkk said:

I appreciate the time it took to do this, and I did read the whole thing, but I just find it hard to agree with you on some points.

For example, " However, due to increased online distribution and POSSIBLY HIGHER LICENSING FEES for PS3 software...". Why would the licensing fees be any higher now than before?

And one for PSP, "With cost reductions and a possible? new model coming out, I am increasing the net profit per PSP from $2(*) to $8(*)". Now, you fail to mention that there could also be a possible price cut to the device, and a new model is just rumour at this point, so increasing net profits from $2 to $8 would definitely be a stretch.

But I am nitpicking really. Other than those two points, I find the analysis to be pretty logical. Good job!

Now, if we could only find something better for you to do in your spare time!

@ArkkYou are free to disagree, that is what a good debate and discussion is all about.  Thanks for the feedback.To answer your questions:The reason I increased the licensing fees and really the NET PROFIT assumption for the PS3 is software is because:1. PS fanboys and/or people more knowledgeable than me pointed out that PS3 licensing fees are higher than PS2 and PSP.  Therefore, I changed it.2. PSP - I suppose I just judged it that way - because I was not aware of any PSP price cuts and Sony mentioned that PSP had cost reductions.To reiterate, the original work is a financial model.  If the VGChartz community has an original and trusted data source for some of those numbers, I can use them to tweak the model and make better analysis and projections.

And one more thing. The reason why I pointed out the "raised licensing fees" issue was because I thought you were saying they would be higher on the PS3 than they were on the PS3 the year before, not in relation to the PS2 or PSP. Otherwise, this statement may make more sense than I first thought.

You are correct Arkk.  I did raise the Net Profit for PS3 Software to $3(*) per unit, just for the FY end Mar 2009.

Again, the reason is because with increasing online distribution/downloads, the net profit margin on those should be greater for obvious reasons. 

If we use the same $2(*) net profit assumption, then the profit projection would have been $183(*) million, instead of $290(*) as was in the original post.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

bumidan said:

From the previous threads, the loss per console for the PS3 for FY ending Mar 2008 was $210.50(*) . This was a $270(*) per unit cost reduction from the previous FY.

What the hell does that even mean?  (I don't need the definition of the economic terms, I need the sentences explained to me, and how they are supposed to relate to one another.)

Loud_Hot_White

To explain - the numbers we used were:

PS3 Hardware

Net Profit FY End Mar 2007 = ($481.50)(*) LOSS PER UNIT

Net Profit FY End Mar 2008 = ($210.50)(*) LOSS PER UNIT

Net Profit FY End Mar 2009 = ($60)(*) LOSS PER UNIT

Keep in mind that Loss Per Unit is the NET Loss - taking into account all other costs, not just component costs.

Also, loss per unit decreases because the fixed costs are spread out over more units sold, as well as reduced unit production costs.

Hope that explains it. 

If you are unsure why those numbers were used, please check out my previous thread explaining how those numbers were derived.  It's the New and Improved Sony Analysis thread.  Just check my post history as I am too lazy to look it up. 

Thanks.

I'm not quite as optimistic as the OP....I don't think that the games division will make money but due to the movie service offering more revenue, I do think that this will be the last time that we see a negative quarter for the games division. So things are looking up.

Around the Network

I don't think the Sony HW losses are as big as you think, per-unit. The 40GB, and future 80GB have 65nm Cells, memory, and GPUs -- the numbers you're using appear to be from the current 80GB model, which still have a few 90nm components, as I recall.

Most of the remaining PS3s sold this year (read: holidays) will be much cheaper to manufacture than previous PS3s have been.

thanx for ur time
what do u study?
i hope this site has more like this threads

I believe with the hardware manufacturing costs slowly dropping, and improved yields for the CELL and RSX, and the fact they are earning more on software sales now is the reason why the PS3 will be able to pull itself a profit. I also believe that due to the new video store and increases in PSN purchases they are pulling in even more money from that.

The PS3 wont be profitable yet on the hardware but I think the software is what will save it. Also I think as Blu-ray increases in sales, the rest of Sony wont wince as much if Sony did cut the price a touch.

Still the switch from a 40GB HDD to an 80GB HDD actually boosts manufacturing costs by $10 - 15 so the can just stick with the upgrade for a bit.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

i dunno, nothing has really changed from the first quarter to this most recent one, and in the first one of this year the games division lost money. Now, with the video store coming in, I think that Sony will have a great chance the earnings release after this to be in the black.

The games division in the 1st Quartr lost 124 billion in income, and using that as a base figure, my prediction would be that the games division will lose perhaps only 20 billion yen, because things like MGSIV, lower manufacturing costs and such will help but they won't be a huge thing.

@ bumidan

you realize that ps3 1st party software is going to become significant at least in the near future. therefore, using $3 per software sold may not be entirely accurate

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler